• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[AI] RTS AI issues (any possible solutions?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I've noticed some things about the AI (my custom one through the AI editor) and I'm wondering if there's a way to fix them:

1) It keeps sending villagers to lost expansions (usually?) to harvest lumber, often resulting in it's defeat for that reason. I don't want to make it harvest only at main base. Is there any other fix?

2) I use capturable "herdable" creeps that turn to the ownership of their attacker from neutral hostile (or any previous owner). The AI unit that attacks them, stays idle afterwords, for the rest of the game unless an enemy unit comes nearby. I've even removed some capturable buildings I used to have cause those involved hp loss before capturing, so the entire groups of AI units that attacked those idled. Is there a way around this (maybe a capture system giving the unit to the new owner if all previous owner's units are cleared around it)?

3) The AI builds lumber camps at random positions and not near trees. Any clue why?

Besides those I'd love a good triggerer to check my map. There should be some leaks I can't find and clear because there's a (rather small) percentage of games that it crashes during the late game.

Level 4
I can't really help, but I think I know enough to give some assistance with number two. When the AI starts attacking, start a timer that goes maybe every 15 seconds that checks the ownership of the building/herd creep under attack, and send them off to the next task if they're under the computers control instead of neutral passive/hostile.

Good luck, anyway, it does sound like an interesting map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You will probably need to migrate to pure JASS AI with maybe some trigger mixing. The AI editor probably does not have the flexibility you require. An example being the AI might not understand it lost an expansion. An AI also might not understand that a lumber mill needs to be placed near lumber. The AI also might not understand what to do after attacking a neutral hostile building and having it captured (it was not expecting it).

Level 7
I can't really help, but I think I know enough to give some assistance with number two. When the AI starts attacking, start a timer that goes maybe every 15 seconds that checks the ownership of the building/herd creep under attack, and send them off to the next task if they're under the computers control instead of neutral passive/hostile.

Good luck, anyway, it does sound like an interesting map.

Thanks:) Is there a command to send them to the next task? I couldn't find one so far. Btw I've semi-fixed this by sending the captured creeps to the AI start location, but with buildings it wouldn't work.

You will probably need to migrate to pure JASS AI with maybe some trigger mixing. The AI editor probably does not have the flexibility you require. An example being the AI might not understand it lost an expansion. An AI also might not understand that a lumber mill needs to be placed near lumber. The AI also might not understand what to do after attacking a neutral hostile building and having it captured (it was not expecting it).

Sounds reasonable. I've never done a thing in jass though. Would that needed a completely jass coded AI or work as debug triggers, firing when those specific situations are happening/about to happen, as well?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Would that needed a completely jass coded AI or work as debug triggers, firing when those specific situations are happening/about to happen, as well?
I think the AI would need to be completely JASS. I am not sure as I only have experience with SC2 AI, which operates totally differently from WC3 since there AI is done by the standard trigger system.

Level 7
Probably something for the distant future then, unless someone offers help. The AI is quite strong on most occasions even now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.