• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Request to increase model size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello! I would like to request 2 models to be increased in size. In game I have them both scaled to 1.5. So I'm assuming this is an increase of 50% in size. The reason I want them increased is that scaling also causes spells/effects/attachments to appear extremely large. If this could be done that would be great! The texture is for Hakkar just in case it's needed. The path is Textures\chaoslord.blp

Attachments

• EredarAnnihilator.mdx
    205.2 KB · Views: 82
  • HakkarTheHoundmasterV2.mdx
    195.2 KB · Views: 83
  • chaoslord.blp
    44.4 KB · Views: 68

N41

N41

Level 7
You could do it yourself!

Just get Magos Editor and go as

File>Open>YourModel.mdx

You must see your model all black.

Then go as

Window>Model Editor

You must see a new screen with red wireframe of your model then

Selection>Select All

This will turn entire wireframe model to green

Transformation>Scaling

Set x=1.5, y=1.5, z=1.5 (for 1.5 times original model)

Leave all other as is.

Press Ok

Save model as SomeName.mdx
(Use save as and not save)
(Do not forget .mdx else will give error)

Edit: Do not scale much else it ruins animations.

That's because for unit/heroes/creatures/etc. models, you are only scaling the mesh, not the skeleton. You need to scale the skeleton along with the mesh for the model to keep its animations properly. Models of missiles and effects have very few to no bones so resizing the mesh usually won't mess up the animations. If you have a scientific calculator you can find the dimension scaling needed, by determining the cubic root of the new volume (e.g. if you want to multiply the volume of a mesh by 8 times, scale every of its dimension by 2 because 2^3=8)

Ah I see, turns out this request was harder than I thought it was. >.>
I think if you have 3dsmax and the NeoDex plugin, you can resize the model to your liking. Because in 3dsmax bones are also treated as objects, you can select them along with meshes. War3 Model Editor doesn't let you resize bones, and while MDLvis lets you move bones, it doesn't have a skeleton scaling option.

N41

N41

Level 7
I did everything exactly as you said and it caused the animations to mess up unfortunately :/
I thought 1.5 times won't hurt much .. :sad:
My misjudgement.. :cry:
That's because for unit/heroes/creatures/etc. models, you are only scaling the mesh, not the skeleton. You need to scale the skeleton along with the mesh for the model to keep its animations properly. Models of missiles and effects have very few to no bones so resizing the mesh usually won't mess up the animations. If you have a scientific calculator you can find the dimension scaling needed, by determining the cubic root of the new volume (e.g. if you want to multiply the volume of a mesh by 8 times, scale every of its dimension by 2 because 2^3=8)
So, adding difference factor to each node of model in Node manager can rescale the skeleton...Isn't it? Doubtful..
Yet it will becomes tedious work for huge models... :sad:

Level 7
It might be worth saying that you can scale the model in the object editor.
There are a few exceptions where such is not possible though.

Yup that is what I'm currently doing. Problem is it scales all the spells/attachments/effects etc along with it. Because the model has to be scaled so much it causes these effects to appear extremely large. That's why I'm hoping I can get the model re sized so the effects will not be so huge.

Hey, I hope you are still in this thread because I found a way to resize in the manner you asked. IMO it's an ingenious way of resizing any model. Here's what I did, it's very simple so you can apply this for future models:

- Open the model in Magos's Model Editor and the Node Manager.
- Create a new root bone, and you put all existing top-hierarchy bones under that "root" bone. So now you have only one "root" bone on the top of the skeleton hierarchy.
- Right click on that "root" bone and click Edit Node. Click on Scaling
- You will see a window with text like this
"0: { 1,1,1 }"

If you had worked with GeosetAnims before, then you would know what the text represents. However if you had not, 0 = the frame number while {1,1,1} represents the {X,Y,Z} scaling.

- Open the Global Sequence Manager and add one Global Sequence. Set the duration to whatever you wish, for example 100.
- Go back to the text window, now you will edit it into:
"0: {1.5,1.5,1.5}
100: {1.5,1.5,1.5}" (no quotes, and 1.5 scale since it's what you originally wanted)
And set the Global Sequence ID to the one that you just added in the previous step.

- Now the mesh will be enlarged by 1.5 times and bones will also scale accordingly, so animation is not messed up. Also, using this method won't scale projectiles in-game, which is what happens when you re-scale the model in Object Editor.

I attached the resized models in this post.

Attachments

• HakkarTheHoundmasterV3.mdx
    195.3 KB · Views: 64
  • EredarAnnihilator big.mdx
    205.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.