• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Redemption Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I really envy terrainers who can also make their own assets (you and toby should both be fire outside the earth.).

Great stuffs. Keep us posted.

Thanks mate. I really appreciate that. Love to see your name here.
Toby has much better skills than me and I like his work too. I am just an amateur.

i like the image and nice work and a really nice project

Thank you so much. Keep posting. :goblin_yeah: +rep

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:
For those who have been following this project, I mus tell you that I am profoundly apologetic for not being regular and for not updating info from time to time. It has been so that the past few weeks have been very hectic. I am trying to get into a good university to pursue a masters in Anthropology and I spend a large portion of my day preparing for the tests and interviews ahead. Again apologies but consider this project 'on hold' for some time but not 'abandoned' by any means.

A New Hero: The Mind Bender
186437-albums7045-picture83047.jpg

The Mind Bender as the name suggests is a psionic who wanders the great desert sands carrying the weight of his past upon him, searching for redemption.

The model is based on another model from the old hiveworkshop site which was made by nasrudin. I repainted the skin (or rather tried miserably). The head uses the skin for Arthas by FrIky.

And if you are wondering that why he looks more of a haggard beggar than a hero it is because that there is little food, water, metal, clothes, leather and other things in Redemption Denied that usually abound in most rpgs. It is a massive desert in there and he has been wandering the desert without all these amenities for almost a decade and has obviously not taken a bath since. So...what else is to be expected?

Also most character in Redemption Denied are slim or ripped and lack the bulging biceps and massive fore arms of wc3 type heroes. Being fat is not a disease on Araf it it a privilege.

A few days back I had some free time and I did some triggering and added -an Item Inventory System and
-added an item combination system. (So now it is possible to do alchemy and herbology and similar stuff.)
- Added tons of other doodads and quest items.
-Still lacking the will to make terrains
:goblin_boom:

Thats all for now folks. Keep posting and don't let the thread slip into oblivion cause I can be away for some time the coming month. I suppose a post a month will keep thread from getting closed.

Level 11
Hello all. Long time no see :)
Heres a screenshot. This terrain is still in the alpha stage. Currently I am working on balanced gameplay, systems and graphics and lighting.
I wanted a very bright sunny look and I think I have achieved that very well although any suggestions are welcome :)
Now I will try and make a convincing night lighting with DNC.
I don't use any third party wares to increase effects or to add bloom etc.
Only custom DNC with cleverly made models and textures ;)
Hope you like what you see. Leave comments if you do and if you would like to support me. Its a huge learning curve for me. Its a lot of trial and error.
But I am still steadily moving forward.

Also check out the first post, I took some time out and made it more presentable. Now DivineArms has decided to join me and he is doing the sounds and voice acting. There are some other good news but I will save them for later.
Take care
-N.Knight
Edit: 300th post! Finally made a triple century since 4 years of joining!
186437-albums7045-picture83820.jpg

Level 36
It most certainly looks hot, unforgivably warm, really.
I reckon you've made all the models yourself, so I won't
comment on those and give suggestions for replacements.

I'm loving the brick tile in combination with the light dirt,
the darker dirt could use some more love, though, it doesn't
really convince me. The flora, to my eyes, could use
more love, too.

The grass looks awfully darkly tinted in comparison to the surrounding
terrain, not to mention it looks rather unnaturally fitted into an other-wisely
very sandy terrain. What I mean by that is that you should either add some
more variation in the flora, like small cactuses and such, maybe something
along the lines of a grass tile, or you should remove the grass all-together.

I'd also add in small rocks, and some bigger rocks surrounding those trees,
for compositions sake. Other than that, it's looking good, if maybe a little
bland, still good nonetheless.

Level 11
Thanks Heinvers :) I am working on night lighting now. I am having some trouble with the transition though.

Thanks for the critique Keiji :).
I am working on the flora and rocks too but some models are hard to make. (not all models are mine, some are adapted\edited to fit the art style).
I have requested Talavaj to make some variates of cactuses and desert type plants. I hope he makes them soon and I will adapt them for my campaign. The grass I will have to change I think, its the model from the UTM. Please elaborate your suggestion about the darker tile. I will need it because I am going for an Arizona\ Grand Canyon kind of desert. I can make improvements in it though.

It most certainly looks hot, unforgivably warm, really.
Thank you. That was exactly I was aiming for and now I have the assent of the terrain moderator himself.

*I will add the smaller rocks in next version. I didn't find any that fit the environment type. So..I will try and make some myself. This is alpha so changes will happen. Feel free to suggest anything.

Level 14
It has a real Diablo 2 look to it that I really like. I have to agree I am pretty jealous of those who can create their own models for their projects.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
*Waiting for comments\ feedback and words of criticism and praise alike.
Don't be shy and state your views honestly. :)
I like those models but the screenies look quite disappointing, you got some nice models but you are not a good terrainer and you are fail to create a desert-ish environment sphere there (I'm a coder not a terrainer, but I'm 100% sure I can do 2x better than you about that terrain), I suggest you to look for some good terrainers to help you before you waste those nice models for nothing. And honestly, if you are fail to create a totally new combat & gameplay environment, I still categorize this map as garbage (just another warcraft 3 map), because basically, any maps with new custom models always looks cool. so it will be just a model/terrain showcase. and I totally disagree any that kind of maps will get a good rating..

EDIT:
It has a real Diablo 2 look to it that I really like. I have to agree I am pretty jealous of those who can create their own models for their projects.
you can be jealous but please remember that creating your own models for your map requires a lot more effort and you have multiple times chance to get bored and fail on your project, still depending from your effort..

Level 11

Well Thank you :)
Your project and mine are pretty similar on scale and gameplay and I am looking forward to play yours. I think I have already posted this on your thread but I will repeat it here, that I am willing to help you in case you need some model work.

Level 11
@Friends and Supporters, what you are about to read below may sound harsh or even lacking in my manners but please do not jump to any conclusions and judge me based on this post. A stern hard is needed to deal with individuals of certain 'talents' and sometimes there is no option but to reciprocate a brick with a stone. Also don't take this as my lack of taking criticism head on. Whenever you feel like and whatever you feel like about this project, you have the right to post it here. Yet I am unable to take any form of incivility and rustic, unsophisticated use of language.
Hope you will understand.

I still categorize this map as garbage (just another warcraft 3 map
Firstly I considered it my better judgement to not to reply to a person of such lowly and disgraceful bearing. Then, reading your post again I realized that you are not just uncouth but filled with vile poison and hatred against anyone who is better than you are. You didn't just address me in your post but included the entire spectrum of mod makers who prefer greater graphic detail in their work.
Making such fallible statements does not make you smart nor will it increase your standing among your fellow mod makers.

Secondly, addressing you directly I want to let you know for all future correspondence you make (of any manner), that criticism is a form of art as any. Entire schools of thought are devoted to the said subject and its study. A criticism can be as harsh as a rock thrown at someones face, but there is a way to do it. You don't just say whatever comes out of your boorish trap. Ever heard of subtleness?!

Moreover you quoted me before you started your hooliganism. Yes I did say that you should be honest and liberal in stating your views but that does not certify you to vandalize my work and neither to throw dirt on my personality. Your jealous intent became even more clear when you commented about the future rating of my project. With what authority can you say that?

I feel no need to clarify to one such lowly as you but you did not even take time to read the thread or even a few posts above yours. If you had you would have realized that this is an alpha version of the project and the terrain was done to observe the custom DNC. Even a half blind person could have read that.

In short what you did was an attempt of sabotage and a clear vandalism of the thread and the project. If I ever see another post from you on this thread, or on my profile, you will be dealt with such sternness and harshness that you will delete the word 'crude' from your dictionary forever. I do mean it.

Last edited:
Level 14
Well Thank you :)
Your project and mine are pretty similar on scale and gameplay and I am looking forward to play yours. I think I have already posted this on your thread but I will repeat it here, that I am willing to help you in case you need some model work.

I certainly appreciate that, I'll be sure to let you know if I need some help, but of course I hope your main focus will remain your own project. I look forward to future updates.

Level 36
Thanks for the critique Keiji :)

As always; prompt me whenever you've got some sort of development,
and I'll be sure to drop by and give my revered opinions on the matter.
- And, as I've already told you, whenever you feel the need for an extra
pair of hands for finer detail-work, you know where to find me. I'd be
happy to help.

Please elaborate your suggestion about the darker tile

Well, I don't honestly know. It just doesn't look as realistic as the other
tiles, I guess variation could do the trick. Adding in some cracks or lumps
of grass or something. Also, if you're going for a grand-canyon look, I'd
suggest you get yourself some rocky tiles to serve as underlying rocky
crooks and crevices in the otherwise dirt-based terrain.

Have you considered looking into the various uses of the Moria doodads?
I've found them very versatile and especially fitting for desert based terrains
for the construction of ruins and the likes.

I like those models but the screenies look quite disappointing, you got some nice models but you are not a good terrainer and you are fail to create a desert-ish environment sphere there (I'm a coder not a terrainer, but I'm 100% sure I can do 2x better than you about that terrain), I suggest you to look for some good terrainers to help you before you waste those nice models for nothing. And honestly, if you are fail to create a totally new combat & gameplay environment, I still categorize this map as garbage (just another warcraft 3 map), because basically, any maps with new custom models always looks cool. so it will be just a model/terrain showcase. and I totally disagree any that kind of maps will get a good rating..

There's an infinite difference in being honest, and being outright outrageously rude, which is the case with you.
This terrain is far from finished, it's under construction, but one can clearly see that Knight's got an eye for
terraining, and if you fail to see this then you've got the right to hold that as your opinion, but you don't have
the right to senselessly bash his efforts without giving direction or suggestions for improvement, and no,
suggesting he finds himself a better terrainer is not nearly good enough an excuse to bash someone.
- I suggest you keep them hideous and unrealistic opinions to yourself.

There's a vast difference between destructive and constructive criticism, and you should learn the difference.
- Consider this a warning.

Level 14
Haven't seen any updates in a while, just wondering if there is anything new to share. Any new models, terrain, story ideas?

Anyways, good luck mate, I hope this project is still going strong.

Level 11
As always; prompt me whenever you've got some sort of development,
and I'll be sure to drop by and give my revered opinions on the matter.
- And, as I've already told you, whenever you feel the need for an extra
pair of hands for finer detail-work, you know where to find me. I'd be
happy to help.
You have my most profound gratitude :)

Haven't seen any updates in a while, just wondering if there is anything new to share. Any new models, terrain, story ideas?
Time for an update, although a short one but an update nonetheless :)
I have got so many models, terrains, ideas to share but most of them are WIPs. So much so that it seems pointless to upload anything half broiled just to continue the thread.

I know the intellect of my audience and I know it won't be satiated by mere WIPs. They stipulate more and hence I labour and linger, cringing to make an update to only back away with apprehensions. *sigh!

Apprehensions remind me of that *incident that occurred the last time I was here. Looking back, I feel it certainly could have been avoided, or could have gone smoother. I got so defensive. In future I should avoid that, it is totally against my character to pounce back. I will meditate on this and try to limit this fear. My apologies to all who got affected by this sudden uproar.

Moving on to the updates. I am making character models now :)
Due to the fact that I consciously decided to change the art style from the standard wc3. I can't use any model without making significant changes to it or simply reject it, if the model is too complex to edit. So I have ended up either making new models from scratch or heavily editing existing ones and that is why it is taking me so long to come up with frequent updates.

So, the base models for heroes being done, I started on the villains, the bad guys. After trying and testing a lot of looks, I have settled with the 300 the movie type persian soldiers as the fodder. The black clothing, veiled faces, all add to their menacing and evil looks (reminds one of ISIS guys too).

186437-albums7045-picture95202.jpg

The eye symbol on his chest (faintly visible due to the pose), is the trademark of the bad guys. A work around of the ever popular all seeing eye, the symbol of the illuminatus. Do note that because the gameplay is experienced from an top-down, isometric view, I considered best to avoid too much detail because it becomes negligible from such heights.

Coming next:
#An enemy sword fighter, and a mounted unit...a raptor rider to be precise.
#Also, a friend reminded me that I havn't added any story, so an edit of the first post with new artwork and text is in order.

Thank you for your support and kind words. I greatly appreciate it.
Until next time,
~N.Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.