• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Quick Request - Creating a Projectile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hello, all!

Normally I avoid making Requests, but this seemed so simple... And unfortunately, Zyne & Retera's Simple Model Workshop is on hiatus... So here I am!

I am looking for a quickie, to start with (we'll see how well this goes :p): I would like a simple Projectile Model made from the shrunken head in the left-arm of this model, the Jungle Troll Headshrinker (by Tijil, AnemicRoyalty AR, and finally jigrael Tarrasque).
attachment.php

In terms of permission... Well, I'm the guy who got the base from the author, requested the texture, and requested the anims, soooo... I'm pretty sure I've got that covered.

~~~

TL;DR
  • Take the shrunken elf-head
  • Make it a Projectile (with basic animations):
    • Birth (pops into existence)
    • Stand (spins, semi-slowly, lopsided if you can)
    • Death (hits the ground, bounces, then rolls/bobs around for a sec before disappearing)
  • Give it a splashy green SFX around it while it's spinning (i.e. as if it's been dunked in greenish magick goop (see Headshrinker Spell Animation), maybe a little Trailer of SFX as well (same color).
  • ???
  • 4) Profit!! :p

Thanks again!

Actually the Death part is very difficult. The height of the unit who shoots the projectile always varies. After that, you have to consider the flying height of the target. Example, if you are shooting the projectile to a flying unit, the projectile will be seen as if it is howering in the air when it dies. Get what I mean?

Perhaps you should use some knockback engine (such as the one in Mad Ballz Arena) for the death part?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Actually the Death part is very difficult. The height of the unit who shoots the projectile always varies. After that, you have to consider the flying height of the target. Example, if you are shooting the projectile to a flying unit, the projectile will be seen as if it is howering in the air when it dies. Get what I mean?

Perhaps you should use some knockback engine (such as the one in Mad Ballz Arena) for the death part?
Hm, a good point... And for general usage (i.e. as a basic "attack" projectile), you would be right. However, for the purposes I intend (it's a projectile for a Spell animation, which can only target the ground) it should be just right. : ) (Now unless you are saying it's also difficult from a "hard to create" standpoint... If so I might have to bend on that).

And I'm trying to keep all this as "lite" as possible, so systems and engines are probably not going to work out for me, but thanks.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
By no means of 100% me going to do this, what is the 'Art - Projectile Impact Z' for the projectile shooter? That information is crucial for something like this.
Hm. Well I'm no master on such matters, and can't open WE to check... But some quick Magos-work seems to indicate that the head flies out of his hands at about a Z-offset of 170-175 (or rather, the entire head fills an interval from 160 to 185). Does that help/make sense?

Level 39
You know you could do this yourself right? And honestly should learn to if you ever want to finish GTW.

You already have the model. Give it the meat wagon projectile's spinning animation and attach some scaled-up acid bomb sfx for the green goo. If I remember right Transmute has a 'coins fall to the ground' animation you could cannibalize for the bouncing and rolling.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You know you could do this yourself right? And honestly should learn to if you ever want to finish GTW.

You already have the model. Give it the meat wagon projectile's spinning animation and attach some scaled-up acid bomb sfx for the green goo. If I remember right Transmute has a 'coins fall to the ground' animation you could cannibalize for the bouncing and rolling.
Now this is something I could get behind. : )

As it turns out, I have been dabbling in model editing off-and-on over the last few years, I've learned a few things here & there (even made the SFX for my Hero entry in the Contest, once you get to that (though once you see them I'm not sure whether that'll be a good thing : P)). I suppose it would be possible to geomerge the head onto the Meat Wagon's projectile, and I could potentially toy around long enough to hit upon the right mix of SFX to make goopy green goo. I am a lot less confident with the "bouncing/rolling" part (maaaaaybe Retera's Matrix Eater would let me 'cannibalize'; I wouldn't know how to otherwise).

That being said, while I could do it, that's the nature of Requests, right? Something I'd rather outsource? (Sure, there's loads of other things I'd rather Request, but I've never liked doing so; this was simple enough I felt OK asking for it).

Still, interesting point.

*By the way, it's not GTW; that's the "Great Troll Wars" total conversion Mod that I researched, archived & presented in Compendium-form (see signature). My "works" don't really have a solid name ("Custom Race Creation" was the name of the thread, also in my signature).

Lol, GTW is crazy & I would never try to finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.