• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Mapping Contest #6 - Living Nightmare[Deceased]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Oh, sorry. I'm too lazy to fix anything x)

Well, these are free guys, I think, ask them: DeathChef, Blazing_Legion, Vladadamm, emjlr3, Crazed_seal2, Zanar.

Anyways, my progress in this thread will be delayed for couple of days, since I will need to prove my words that I am capable of creating a winning entry in the Campaign contest, for only three days.

Level 17
Anyone want a partner? I'm Free for ideas. Was thinking of a Village escape kinda thing with ZOMBEZ/ Or some mansion escape although i doubt thats very original/
Or something xD

Hmm How about Escape from The Dungeons Of Algazor

Level 7
Anyways, my progress in this thread will be delayed for couple of days, since I will need to prove my words that I am capable of creating a winning entry in the Campaign contest, for only three days.

Probably won't be too hard considering most people just gave up. I just don't have enough free time to complete that and it'd take too much time away from my real project in the map development thread. The extension was just so short that I decided more on that I didn't want to do it.

And a horror partner map project sounds cool. Im interest'd in seeing what people come up with. :D

One thing that bothers me is that terrain is 25 points but triggers is only 10 points. Is there some reasoning behind the values?

Level 30
People like you are the reason why I did that.
Your "I don't have enough time" extends over a month you had to complete your entry.
My "I don't have enough time" is squished between three days to create a good entry.
I am still convinced that I can create something as worthy as your work over a month.

Anyways, to answer your question:
Terrain is the main part of any visual, and it is what players see during entire game. In the category of terrain, doodads and destructibles are included, and with that union, we can get up to 25 points, which is 1/4 of maximum score, for major visuals.

Triggers, however, are not that important. Sure thing that they make any map - a map, but you can't do too much fails with them, mostly leaks and foreseen errors.

Another information: You can't score negative points in terrain, but you can with triggers.

Level 7
Your "I don't have enough time" extends over a month you had to complete your entry.
My "I don't have enough time" is squished between three days to create a good entry.
I am still convinced that I can create something as worthy as your work over a month.

Your rudeness is a bit much; it's not that much of "I don't have enough time" as much as I just kind of "gave up on it to work on more important things." I had less time because I'm in college with exams and large business plans(these plans took large amounts of time cause I needed to meet with groups) that I was struggling to meet up with. It's not your average this is high school crap that you can just skip out whenever you want.

And I may have had a month; but I only worked on it for like a few parts of days then I got rather busy. And L2Love stopped meeting with me on skype so I assume'd we'd both just give up on it together (if that makes any sense). I mean theres really no reason for me to try and do the project without him since that would seem rather not right in my mind. Besides this I got more interested in developing a few more impressive side things that I was working on to improve my map in the map development forum and lost a bit of interest in the campaign contest since other people were dropping out as well.

Triggers, however, are not that important. Sure thing that they make any map - a map, but you can't do too much fails with them, mostly leaks and foreseen errors.
I don't agree with this. I mean triggers can do like 90% of what is in the other categories. Including fog; ingame text; special events;systems; etc etc. I mean a map doesn't even really function or is only melee if there is no triggers/scripts running in the background.

You can't score negative points in terrain, but you can with triggers
This is interesting and makes sense to compensate for that triggers are more part of the project. So I guess the grading criteria is fine I just want'd more of an explanation.

Last edited:
Level 30
The last post before we get attention for going way too off-topic:
I work each second day, double shifts on weekend, study, I help my sisters to keep an eye on their kids, and I still manage to have a good time and circle around The Hive Workshop. Living alone isn't a good thing. Meh, sorry. I probably exaggerated too much. Sorry again.

OT: Well, as I said, terrain is main visual of any map. Even trigger created fog and weather counts in this section.

Triggers are less important, and can't go away like terrain can.

Negative points are given quite rarely: I think I'm among the first ones that pulled them out of scoring
"5/25" to "15/25; -10 points for that and that which makes 5/25"

I give them when the map is not playable for ending, when it has severe bugs and glitches that could be fixed, and for overall laziness and being careless.

Level 17
Okay well i reconsidered and I had an idea. I dont have a partner so if you want to team up, i have a good idea but its not complete. I want to call it "Road Not Taken" and the theme is you live on this farm in the middle of the forest and the farm is attacked by death itself. You survive because the sun rises just in time and death leaves to come back after you at night. You have to escape the spooky forest you live in getting past many obstacles in your way, using your whit and intuition. As it gets darker it becomes harder to make the correct decisions, while death stalks you, getting closer.. and closer...

Will be coding as soon as my vacation starts (The 16th). Got some extremely complex Puzzle generating algorithms to steal/acquire/devise. =)
I have a template map ready though. It has all the systems implemented (CTL, SpellEffectEvent, IsUnitMoving, Table, TimerUtilsEx (Mine), Bonus, UnitIndexer, Event, WorldBounds, DamageEvent, UnitEvent, RegisterPlayerUnitEvent, etc..)

I implemented Bonus without the use of those Lua scripts (You may bow down to me if you wish). /o/

edit

Systems and abilities should be lagless

I'm afraid that's 100% impossible for an advanced puzzle generator. I can however dedicate the first 5 seconds
of Gameplay to preloading models, icons and generating everything.

That shouldn't cause any lag in-game at all :3

Last edited:
Level 3
Since there were very few posts recently in this thread I decided to show a little bit of gameplay for mine and Deathchef's map.

Note: Its only a gameplay preview of how it will look (it has a few systems added jump, camera system, etc.) and there will be more systems along with improvements of this one.

PS: It's arrow styled.

Attachments

• WIP (Gameplay).w3x
    22.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I and -Kobas- are doing pretty well. Some basic systems are working and we have a small portion of the map terrained.
Hmmm maybe we can upload few pictures just to make them curious ^_^

Btw I still didn't finished with setup over 200 different resources we imported, there will be up to 300 resources when we import resources like icons, models that aren't related to terrain etc etc.

Level 19
I have not done much yet, but I can show you a pic of what the terrain will be like in mine and mckill2009's entry :)

174866-albums3028-picture54139.png

Level 21
Well now that the lighting issues are fixed and Christmas is over, these are some terrain WIPs from the map Magtheridon96 and I are working on.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg