• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Open/Close Gate Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Well here you go... second time drawing something D: after reading more tutorials, I got a pretty good idea on how to make things look 3D. I also took the time to get myself a sketchbook :p heres to the first drawing on the sketchbook wooo! Anyway, I figured that my first icon resource be something useful, and I found that there are only 2 gate icons in the entire section ._. I figured there would have been atleast one open/close gate icon considering that there are a GOOD handful amount of maps that use that mechanic! I myself will be using this once I'm done with it ;D I'm considering reversing the arrows... a green arrow pointing out for "Open" and a red arrow pointing in for "Close"

ipvZTa2.png

EDIT:
OXZfqSO.jpg

EDIT2:
vSutUW7.png

Last edited:
Level 37
Pretty nice concept!

But here's a thing:
The Pillars and the pyramids on them are too big in comparison to the gates themselves! Either increase the Distance between the pillars and the size of the gate, or decrease the Pillar size.
Good job!

I'll consider this when I start drawing it in photoshop :) just waiting for my friend to drop off his drawing tablet bahaha.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

It will prove very useful, once realized,
but it will be a challenge to choose the right angle of the gate and still showing the best part of the gate, considering the 64x64 size.

Level 37
It will prove very useful, once realized,
but it will be a challenge to choose the right angle of the gate and still showing the best part of the gate, considering the 64x64 size.

Yah >.> I'm going to be playing with the size + angle of the gate a lot ._.

Hopefully you all stay subscribed to the post! I would really appreciate all the feedback I get before actually uploading it.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Sure :)

Maybe don't go full in, but only draw the basic shape first

Level 37
The Pillars and the pyramids on them are too big in comparison to the gates themselves! Either increase the Distance between the pillars and the size of the gate, or decrease the Pillar size.
Good job!

The giant pillars actually kind of look nice xP do you think they are still a bit too big?

OXZfqSO.jpg

I apologize for the long gap ._. I got pretty caught up with my own project and completely forgot I had started on this icon.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Just saying, keep in mind it will be 64x64. It doesn't fit the current sketches.

They look great!

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Looks great!
I still fear though that you get problems if limiting it to 64x64. I think it has to be even more angled or it won't fit.
I myself would recommend a more human-like perspective than a bird-like perspective.
You can change the angle with GIMP easily, by the way, without having to draw everything again.

Level 37
Looks great!
I still fear though that you get problems if limiting it to 64x64. I think it has to be even more angled or it won't fit.
I myself would recommend a more human-like perspective than a bird-like perspective.
You can change the angle with GIMP easily, by the way, without having to draw everything again.

It will fit :) I've already tested it. The current angle fits best with the arrows (which I didn't include in this WiP). I will consider the perspective though. I use photoshop, so I'm sure that they have a similar feature! Thank you for the suggestions. I'm a little stumped on what I should do for a background? Just keep it black?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I'm a little stumped on what I should do for a background? Just keep it black?
If you go into extreme with the angel you would not even have a background taking more than 10% of the image, considering the arrows.

Fine, I am excited for the next version :)

Status
Not open for further replies.