• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[OFFICIAL] Roleplay Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6

[Official] Roleplay Guide
LAST UPDATE: 2015/07/09 5:55AM GMT + 3.5

RP-GUIDE-OPENING.jpg

Table of Contents

New to Roleplaying
Creativity.jpg

So ? What does the word called Roleplaying even mean?

"Roleplaying is the acting out or performance of a particular role, either consciously (as a technique in psychotherapy or training) or unconsciously, in accordance with the perceived expectations of society as regards a person's behaviour in a particular context."

Or to be simple "Roleplaying is participation in a role-playing game."

Racc-Roleplay.jpg
In this tutorial, we will take a character from Warcraft with the silver color and his owner called ArthasFan001 for example:

1- Design and Create your Character

Example:

Name : Arthas
About : I am the son of king Terenas. I lead the Kingdom of Lordaeron
Class : Paladin

2- Choose your color, Your color couldn't be shared with other players, except you are his servant and got his permission.

For example, Kel'thuzad's color is red and you cannot choose it.

3- Start roleplaying and posting, also remember posting has it own rules:

Important rules for posting:

Always add ":" (without the quotation mark) after your name

You can't kill someone else's character without permission

Your character or troops shouldn't be over powered/OP

You can't control someone else's character without permission

You can't control some one else's army

Don't make too much joke

Try to Keep synchronized with other characters Roleplay. It keeps the story going properly and not confusing.

Make sure you explain some stuff if necessary, such as MC (Main character) immune to certain effects, has certain issues, anything that should be specified to avoid issues. A great example is this RP post. It explains some details that avoids mess in the RP right beforehand.

Don't fight/insult other users (roleplayers), its just a game for fun..
Example:
This is allowed:
Arthas : I declare war on you
*Arthas draws his sword with Rage*

Arthas : You will pay for your crimes
*Arthas fight with Kel'thuzad*
*Arthas kills Kel'thuzad* (actually, you can't kill Kel'thuzad if it was his enemy's Main Character, except with permission of the owner)

And this is, not allowed:
ArthasFan001 (Owner of Arthas) : "You damn bastard!!!"
Don't use taboos (for Insulting case)
Example:
ArthasFan001 (Owner of Arthas) : "Hahahahaha, f*** you!"

You are ready to go!

Roleplay Rules

Racc%20Law.jpg

Every game has its own Rules , So does Roleplaying!

You must follow these rules in order to Roleplay.

Criminal.jpg
1: Don't interrupt other players.
Although roleplay truly shines the most when it involves complex interaction between multiple characters, several of which most often being players, one should always be mindful not to just barge into interactions which your character isn't already a part of.
I have often seen people suddenly appearing in the middle of an intense argument or epic battle and being all like 'HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME I AM HERE NOW AS WELL'. Don't do this without good reason.

2: An overpowered character isn't fun for anyone.
It's no fun to be part of the same roleplaying group that All-Powerful'. Most DMs will keep you from making a character which is too far over the top, but a good roleplayer should always try to create a balanced character with interesting strengths and weaknesses.
Roleplaying will be more fun for you as well as your fellow rolerplayers if you don't just lawnmow every challenge. The greatest fun in roleplaying isn't vanquishing endless amounts of foes without breaking a sweat. Sure, that can be fun too, but if you ask me there's much more enjoyment in getting into trouble and using your wicked cunning (and/or dice-rolling skills) to get out of it and helping together to overcome obstacles.

3: Think of your character as a real person.
Unless your character is god, or perhaps especially if your character is a god, it is important for a good roleplaying experience that he/she has a believable personality.
There's no need for every character to have some sort of crippling phobia, but if everyone's a generic grizzled veteran with no fears of anything and who has no problems dealing with any kind of situation then your roleplay probably won't be one for the story books.

4: Don't force trying to make your character in the center of attention in a roleplay, just don't do this.

5: Knowledge is also power. See rule #2.
You should always make an effort to think about what information is actually available to your character when deciding on what to do. If you DM doesn't limit your character in what knowledge is available to you for you then you should do so yourself, as a character that knows everything is just as annoying to play with as a character that kills everything.
Even if your character is a master farseer or fortune teller, for the love of the raves which watch my windowsill do NOT have his default response to everything be 'Just as I foresaw!' or something along those lines. Seriously, this is surprisingly common.

6: Mind your language.
Be mindful of how your character would realistically speak. A medieval knight won't say things the same way a FUTURE person from modern times would.
Obviously it's hard to be completely realistic here, but it's worth it to give it your best shot.

7: Know your OOCs and ICs.
Always make sure that it is abundantly clear what is being said or done by your character and what is being said by YOU. A good way to distinguish between the two is to preface them with 'OOC' (Out Of Character) and 'IC' (In Character) tags.

8: Divine Showdowns = Serious Business.
When two extremely powerful forces collide, it will not be something like "X Punches Y, Y dies. Everyone is happy."
There's going to be consequences, and chances are a lot of people won't like 'em.

9: Play a fair game.
Note that an inactive player is inactive and any actions taken against him/her is Unfair. Until he/she is active again, you cannot take any actions towards his/her Characters nor Kingdom.

10: Permission from the Leader
Joining a faction, doesn't mean you will have control of all faction unit, you must ask for a large army. But, if only a little army needed, you could take that.

11: Rights
You cannot kill others characters or resurrect them,control their armies without permission of the Owner.

12: Creating characters from other universes
Characters from other universes should be created related to the current events and not ruining other characters factions or characters, for example Azeroth's creatures are dead and you cant create an elf living in azeroth, or guldan is controlled by x and he is simply not there to be your master or subject and can't be your character.
History should not be changed either, you should think of now not the past.

Also, almost forget : make sure you explains some stuff if necessary, such as MC immune to certain effects, has certain issues, anything that should be specified to avoid issues. A great example is this RP post. It explains some details that avoids mess in the RP right beforehand.

This is not necessary to know (as it seems to be basic), but it can be necessary.

Level 21
I have another quistion:is allowed to control a soldier of another person?
For eample:me controlling shadow legion archer

Level 6
Yes, in my opinion its okay.

Yet still you cannot control another person's character or an important person (characters other than the main character) , blocking the way to order an attack or any important decision unwilling by the owner of such character.

See the examples below:

Allowed:

*Uranus rolls towards location*

*Shadow legion archer aims at Uranus*

*Uranus is alerted of the archer and stands still*

*As Shadow legion archer shoots Uranus rolls and dodges the arrow*

Uranus: Phew, that was close!

*Uranus moves towards the archer*

*Shadow legion archer aims at Uranus and fires another arrow*

*Uranus dodges to his right side, making the arrow slip by his head*

*Uranus smashes shadow legion's head, making it cut off the body*

_

Rohan is a character with the rank of general at the darkspear tribes and does not belong to you.

Not Allowed:

*Uranus reaches a darkspear camp*

*Rohan is scared by the wrath of Uranus and leaves*

*Rohan screams on the way:" Retreat!!!! "*

Uranus: Cowards!!!

Level 6
Thy Old Fortune Teller

Once upon a time there was a fortune teller.

The fortune teller ruled over his kingdom, Being able to see even people's dreams!

As of fear few politicians of a kingdom close to the fortune teller's , cast a spell transporting them to another dimension every single millisecond.

And so they discussed about an attack on fortune teller and his kingdom , and agreed.

Meanwhile a voice is heard at the citadel of fortune all of a sudden.

"Just as i foresaw , They are preparing to launch an assault on us! General, Prepare the defenses and an army to attack!" Said the fortune teller.

The politicians were amazed by the great powers of the old Fortune teller , but later led to suicide unfortunately.

And so our story ends here.

Color.jpg

This story is an example of Rule 5.

All images are made by myself.

Level 21
Also if a roleplayer is inactive,(really havnt posted in a while)no actions must be taken towards him. A good example is where Soviet655 took over Paliouras's kingdom. Things are gonna get rough for him in the roleplay for him now. The Abaddon's fury will NOT except this foul actions towards its allies

Level 21
Make sure you explain some stuff if necessary, such as MC (Main character) immune to certain effects, has certain issues, anything that should be specified to avoid issues.
what if another roleplayer ignores this even if you did it?

Level 6
Well, a roleplay wouldn't really do that if you noted that before his/her post.

If you did that and he/she did not notice, then you should tell the roleplayer and notify him/her,making him/her edit his/her post.

Level 6
Me on RP 2# said:
@Devin.
A. I think you should put a rules (on first page of RP 2# or [Official] Roleplay Guide) that specify how many day the player is considered inactive. Example: more than 3 day [the name of roleplayer] is inactive, etc.)

B. New rules for posting rules:
Me on RP 2# said:
Joining a faction, doesn't mean you will have control of all faction unit, you must ask for a large army. But, if only a little army needed, you could take that.
^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.