• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NanO Tile Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hey there
I want to share u different tiles made by me
No one will publish it in resourse section, but it can be usefull for u

Here pack with 24 tiles
There are screenshots inside

Have fun

UPD: Soon i'll update this pack
Also, u can PM me, or skype, if u need some tiles. I'll help you

Attachments

• Tilesets.rar
    14.6 MB · Views: 1,383
Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Some of them look really good, but others just don't.
You should learn about the moiré effect and try to avoid it when making tiles. Some of your tiles have a moiré effect that is so strong that they are practically useless.

Also, I think the tiles could be lower in filesize. 500 kb per tile is just sick.

Level 36
Some of them look really good, but others just don't.
You should learn about the moiré effect and try to avoid it when making tiles. Some of your tiles have a moiré effect that is so strong that they are practically useless.

Also, I think the tiles could be lower in filesize. 500 kb per tile is just sick.

Not that I'll claim to know exactly what you mean by "moiré" but I'll work from a presumed standpoint that it has to do with repeated images in the texture,
so that when one uses exclusively one texture, one gets a strange and not so very pretty effect.

Now, if this is a correct presumption, do regard the following, if not, completely ignore it and slip a note to me with the explanation of the word.

I don't honestly understand why one should care about repeated textures, as well as I do not honestly understand why one should use any texture "exclusively"
and "solely" at any point in any map, the beauty of tiles is to mix them together to get a natural underbrush in any terrain, with a artsy touch.

I also have to say that I disagree about the filesize, but then that's my Terrain Art side being biazed; As it doesn't care one slick of a split second for file-sizes at all,
though Nan0's guidelines as to how to improve them on your own seems legit.

Finally, I'd like to say that I've loved your tiles, Nan0, ever since that "Daemons Paradise" terrain, and can honestly say I've not used any other tiles ever since. And now
you come here, and drop a damned bomb of tiles in the same style and perfection as the previous one?

I'd say a prayer and kiss your boots, but then, I'm not religious.
- Bravo.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Not that I'll claim to know exactly what you mean by "moiré" but I'll work from a presumed standpoint that it has to do with repeated images in the texture,
so that when one uses exclusively one texture, one gets a strange and not so very pretty effect.
Pretty much this. Some of the tiles have extremely sharp tile borders, which means when the tile is placed twice beside each other, you have a very ugly line between them or a repetition of the same pattern again.
Now, if this is a correct presumption, do regard the following, if not, completely ignore it and slip a note to me with the explanation of the word.

I don't honestly understand why one should care about repeated textures, as well as I do not honestly understand why one should use any texture "exclusively"
and "solely" at any point in any map, the beauty of tiles is to mix them together to get a natural underbrush in any terrain, with a artsy touch.
Sure, but when there is grass somewhere, you usually want more than one small spot of grass. With the very strong moiré effect of some of those tiles, it simply won't look as good as if the tiles would be edited to not show this property.

I also have to say that I disagree about the filesize, but then that's my Terrain Art side being biazed; As it doesn't care one slick of a split second for file-sizes at all,
though Nan0's guidelines as to how to improve them on your own seems legit.
Agree. You can manually reduce the resolution and filesize if needed. For a forums-only published resource, I think this is fine. But if he intends to upload it to the skins section, I think he should also offer a 256x256 version, to make it able to use them in multiplayer maps.[/QUOTE]

Level 36
Ah yes, the border problem. I'll admit it to be fairly frustrating at times,
then again that's nothing of which can't be fixed with some efficient "shrub" and/or "grass" placement skills.

Far as I'm concerned, that latter trick also works very fine with eliminating some of the so-called "moiré" effect when having large stretches of grass,
as well as mixing together different grass-tile-types, for further elimination.

Oh and I do have to ask, why "moiré"?
- Is it per chance German?
(me presuming you to be)

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Ah yes, the border problem. I'll admit it to be fairly frustrating at times,
then again that's nothing of which can't be fixed with some efficient "shrub" and/or "grass" placement skills.
You obviously don't understand what I mean. But it's fine, if you like the tiles, I don't have a problem with that. It's not that I'm saying the tiles are useless, just that some of them are not as good as others.

Oh and I do have to ask, why "moiré"?
- Is it per chance German?
(me presuming you to be)
First: It's obviously french. Second: Yes, I'm german. Third: This is a common expression used by graphic and texture designers. You can even google it.

Level 36
Why of course, French..!
(palm hits self on forehead)
- Sadly, I'm no graphically textural genius or expert, my bad for not knowing.

Well, naturally I do understand what you mean, my statement was more of a suggestion as to how you may nurture the irreversible problem present with the tiles,
and if done correctly, they might not appear as bad as you might be presuming.
- Well, either that or Nan0 could improve them ;)

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Why of course, French..!
(palm hits self on forehead)
- Sadly, I'm no graphically textural genius or expert, my bad for not knowing.

Well, naturally I do understand what you mean, my statement was more of a suggestion as to how you may nurture the irreversible problem present with the tiles,
and if done correctly, they might not appear as bad as you might be presuming.
- Well, either that or Nan0 could improve them ;)
Yeah, but just saying that you can simply avoid using the tile too often to make it look good is weird. It's like saying "don't use your car too much, or you have a higher risk of something getting broken.".
In certain situations, you want exactly this one tile and nothing else. And in this situations it should still look decent. It is possible to make it like that, that's all I'm saying.

Some of the tiles look good, but i think it is bad that you don't even use the second base tile slot that you have (one base tileis in the top left corner, one in the bottom right). Using it is the least you should do to prevent the tile from repeating itself too much, and in the cases of the grass, i even feel that a 256x512 tile would suit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.