1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The member Kam is making HIVE coasters. Take a look. For every coaster you buy, Hive gets $1.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 25th Texturing Contest has started! Contestants are to create a skin representing a dark elf person/being or any construct related to it using the vanilla models or the custom ones found on the site.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it. Join (Optionally) Paired Techtree Contest #11 - Techno Magic now!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hero Contest #8 is up and running! This time it's a joint contest between artists and coders. Go here for team matchmaking.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The ninth Concept Art Contest has launched. Enter now!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our first StarCraft contest, The Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders has started. Enter to show off your Galaxy Editor skills and win a custom rank icon among other things.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Ever wanted to get your sets ready for fast texturing while still having fun? Now it is possible with our newest Mini-Texturing Contest.
    The Skeleton Units need your dire help!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Mr.Goblin is once again hosting the Art Live Stream on August 23. Follow it here.
    Dismiss Notice

My first good terrain work

Discussion in 'Terrain Board' started by Dr. House, May 3, 2008.

1. Dr. House

Dr. House
    i worked kinda hard on this terrain one screenshot som of you maybe already know but still this 3 sreens are my best terrain i ever made. sugestions? or help? are welcome.:grin:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Nudl9

Nudl9
    Use the terrain smoothen tool to make the cliffs more rounder and not so spiky, try variate with tiles and it may be smart to download UTM.
    All in all i dont think its all that bad, but could always need some improvements.

3. Dr. House

Dr. House
    i have utm ultimate terraining map if that is what you mean but i dont understand what you mean with spiky plz explane (im not that pro)

4. Bob27

Bob27
    In the areas where you have used Plateau, the edges look spiky and unnatural, so hes telling you to use the smooth tool on them to make them look more natural. As for my suggestions, I would suggest that you make a bit more height variation in all of them, especially in the 3rd one. Also try adding some fog, and add some doodads in the background, especially in the 3rd one, because it looks like theres nothing behind the wall.

5. ~Void~

~Void~
    The first one is kinda nice. The second one needs some MAJOR smoothing and height variation, and also more filling in on the forest and field. The third one's castle is ok but the rest of it sucks.

6. Dr. House

Dr. House
    omg to hear this of void is like the biggest compliment ever :) ty man i know som things suck but its just a begin :)

7. Gilles

Gilles
    I'm going to be honest. He didn't mean it was good, just nice. As in, it's pretty bad, but not as bad as the others, and I want to be polite. Either that or he was drunk.

8. Volvox

Volvox
    LOL Gilles XD Honesty is appreciated so... NEVER use the plateau tool again, it's a thorn in the observer's ass. Terrain should also have something to look at, something to draw the observer's attention, but your screenshots are rather plain. Personally i like the third one because it is symmetric(i like symmetry).

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  9. Sephiroth_VII

Sephiroth_VII
    Dont use Blizzards Lordearon Summer Cake trees!!!!
    Thats good advice.

10. Gilles

Gilles
    Ahh, but I use it all the time. Who want to use the raise tool for an hour? I actually use it a lot. But then I go over the terrain and make it smooth and sexy.

11. Dr. House

Dr. House
    i have much to learn doesnt mean i dont want it i love ot make terrain and im getting better and better because of the people who day dont use this or dont use that the only thing i undeestand is whats rong with that raise thing (im frome holland im not that good in english)

12. Volvox

Volvox
    Well, you'll get better in time... As for the plateau thing, i also used it until i read a tutorial where somebody said lots of horrible things about it. When i took a closer look, it is the truth, raise looks more natural then plateau, it just takes a lot more time.

13. Dr. House

Dr. House
    i just gona try evrything and see for myself :p