• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #29 - Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 42
Now Here We go
Mah Progress
Ogre.gif + Goblin.gif Goblin.gif Goblin.gif= OgreTeam.gif

Ogre.png

Last edited:
WIP On the Texture :V I have no idea how to texture to make some part seamless but i will try my best
Wow! Looks nice already. I really like how clearly it is a character with its own personality. Regarding the seams, it looks like you have faces in different smoothing groups there. I might be wrong, but that's a seam created by the mesh also (not only the texture).

And, a warning to all: In HIVE 2, contest submission rules have changed - we should submit our models to the resource section, instead of the contest thread. Submit your model, plus its portrait, missile, etc, in the same bundle, and write in the description "Entry for the 29th Modeling Contest".

@Astaroth Zion, looks awesome!! They make such a great trio :p

As I told you guys, we're meant to post our entries at the resource section. @Stefan.K, @PROXY, @Hayate

Here's mine: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/frogfolk-potioneers.286268/ :)

Once the contest's over I'll put up a test map of all our models and post it here, to help the poll voting. (I'll do my best to make them perform well, but each of you are able to do changes to that map regarding your entry implementation, so it does justice to your model.)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Dude, so you are texturing by yourself? How cool! For a first time, it's pretty impressive! Excited to see progress on that bad boy. : )

Same to you, Astaroth Zion. Definitely a neat group you got there.

HappyCockroach said:
And, a warning to all: In HIVE 2, contest submission rules have changed - we should submit our models to the resource section, instead of the contest thread.
Wait, so this is Site-wide? When did this happen? (Not that I necessarily disagree with it, but... Why go through all the rigmarole? If the problem is the troublesome nature of searching for certain posts, well you're right; the onus shouldn't be on the mod/admin/host, it should be on the contestant. Have them send a PM with a pastebin link to the mod/host.)

@Hayate, that big guy looks neat :)

Wait, so this is Site-wide? When did this happen? (Not that I necessarily disagree with it, but... Why go through all the rigmarole? If the problem is the troublesome nature of searching for certain posts, well you're right; the onus shouldn't be on the mod/admin/host, it should be on the contestant. Have them send a PM with a pastebin link to the mod/host.)
Yes, yes. Since HIVE 2, contest models will be kept in the resource section. They'll be stored here at the thread too, but via the entry test map put up for the poll. (Let us avoid derailing the contest thread debating the changes - going to the Site Discussion forums should be a better idea in that case.)

Level 42
Racing With Time, Been a long time since I ever animate in 3D, Wonder If it's going to take long :p

@HappyCockroach
Thanks

@Kyrbi0
well it's actually the second time, my first time is Santa Claus XD

I just lost the Goblin texture File......
My blender got into some problem, and I couldn't able to hit save button.....
Feel like Flipping my computer now

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 4.30.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 4.30.49 PM.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Level 51

Attachments

• Boom_SQUAD.png
    Boom_SQUAD.png
    569.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Hero_BoomSquadV1_Portrait.mdx
    71.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Hero_BoomSquadV1.mdx
    192.7 KB · Views: 59
Level 42
I really really really REALLY love that Hayate. My personal favourite of all your works.
Thank you very much

Now I have to think how I could cheat on the goblin to make it doesn't look cheated
Is the file size matter much in this contest? The file size is going to be humongous, the Poly is quite high because of the goblin, (Like 1k each?)

And the I have 2 texture file

Level 39
If I don't sleep I could make it i guess, Kinda just paste random ingame texture to the cannon, Fishing hook and Binocular

Even tho the quality will be more crappy because going to 'RUSH MODE' XD

First Animation on Him with me lazy to rig the goblins yet

Dude, looking great! I'm glad that you started making your own textures! Animation is looking slick as well. Hope you'll make the deadline.

Level 42
Ogre Goblin Cannon Squad

My Entry

Just a quick rush, kinda give up on make it look good on time, will just submit this one that has not been touch up yet, I will change the cannon and Optimize the texture to the best (If possible), Hav elots of things that I don't satisfy with, and the animation is Clip of death.

I don't even bother fixing some problem now :V
My Entry:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/ogre-goblin-cannon-squad.286291/
Yep... It's nearly 1 mb =.=

OgresAttack.gif

Last edited:
Ogre Goblin Cannon Squad

My Entry

Just a quick rush, kinda give up on make it look good on time, will just submit this one that has not been touch up yet, I will change the cannon and Optimize the texture to the best (If possible), Hav elots of things that I don't satisfy with, and the animation is Clip of death.
Wow Hayate! I wonder what would you do if you weren't in a rush, because that's already one hell of a model. We all love your entry :D

@Astaroth Zion we're waiting on you, we have some minutes more! :O

Guys remember, do not update your entries in the resource section until the contest's over (Until the results and prizes are out). That is obviously an irregular procedure, and we don't want any of us accidentally disqualified.

Level 18
Entry: SKELETON CREW

Well, resource uploaded here. I feel more than frustrated by the results of my work (both my time management and the giant newbie mistake I made).

I will let some time pass (after contest + some weeks), then finish the model as I had intended.

Darn Zero Joints, why I did forget you.

PS: thank you all who patiently waited and agree to extend the deadline. I am grateful for the opportunity given, and I will try to improve my participation on future contests.

Last edited:
Entry: SKELETON CREW

Well, resource uploaded here. I feel more than frustrated by the results of my work (both my time management and the giant newbie mistake I made).

I will let some time pass (after contest + some weeks), then finish the model as I had intended.

Darn Zero Joints, why I did forget you.

PS: thank you all who patiently waited and agree to extend the deadline. I am grateful for the opportunity given, and I will try to improve my participation on future contests.
Oh, those are sad news, your entry has so much potential. Well, it has the animations to work well and everything else about it is really awesome, and either way it is nice to have you among the contest participants in this and in the next ones :)

(If any participant has anything against the few hours late Astaroth Zion posted his entry, they're free to voice it. I really doubt anyone would, it's just to comply to the rules.)

Well then, the contest's closed and I'll put up a test map very soon, with every entry in it. Attention participants, once it is posted you have 72 hours to verify/modify your model's in-game implementation. Then, the poll comes up.

And I have to say that even if we had many issues with the deadline, I'm really satisfied with the contest output - this is among the hardest themes been hosted, it's great we made it to 5 (creative and interesting) entries. :)

And we're in need of judges, if you want to help with judging, read the first post, the judging criteria, and PM/VM me, or post here.

Level 42
Oh, those are sad news, your entry has so much potential. Well, it has the animations to work well and everything else about it is really awesome, and either way it is nice to have you among the contest participants in this and in the next ones :)

Attention participants, once it is posted you have 72 hours to verify/modify your model's in-game implementation. Then, the poll comes up.

you mean like edit the map?

you mean like edit the map?
Yes, if you want to. :p I'll do my best so your model looks good in-game. In case you prefer to change the movespeed, the attack point, anything like that, there's the 'edit-the-map-if-you-want round'.

This map will be useful so voters will vote based on how your model performs in-game.

Hi peoples. Here comes a test map with every entry on it:

upload_2016-7-6_15-21-58.png

I did my best to implement every model correctly in-game, but feel free to test it yourselves and alter how your model is configured. A few things:
  • I added one spell ability per spell animation name in each entry. (Only to models which have spell animations)
  • Special effects aren't added, for those might change the perception of a model entry. Only MPQ missiles are present.
  • I chose voices and things like that based on the model's nature. You're free to change that to your preference.
This map will be used at the poll to help users vote based on an in-game perspective, so it's important to check if it makes justice to your work. Each of you has 72 hours from now to adjust it and send it to me via PM, then I'll put them together and the poll should come up immediately.

@PROXY @Hayate @Astaroth Zion @Stefan.K

Attachments

• ModelingContest_29_TestMap.w3x
    1,017 KB · Views: 82
Level 20
Sup, guys. Spent some time and just barely done it. Wasn't easy due to the amount of bones, i assume the same for others.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/chronosquad.286392/

I might be late, but oh well. At least voting haven't started?

Edit: which reminds me, portrait animation. Back to the work table.

Edit 2: Okay done, ready for the contest. Well, if I'm late just forget it and all, aye? I know I'm late, I mean, well, I suppose you guys get the point.

Last edited:
Level 18
(If any participant has anything against the few hours late Astaroth Zion posted his entry, they're free to voice it. I really doubt anyone would, it's just to comply to the rules.)

Well then, the contest's closed and I'll put up a test map very soon, with every entry in it. Attention participants, once it is posted you have 72 hours to verify/modify your model's in-game implementation. Then, the poll comes up.
Thanks for the help test map, its mechanics and design is marvelous for testing.

For my Skeleton Crew, I would like that you add to them a "repair (human)" ability, and also enable the crew to build any structure with the Human mechanic. The purpose of my request is to make the "Stand Work" anim easier to see.

Thanks in advance HappyCockroach.

I wasn't inclined to accepting an entry at this moment mostly because Astaroth Zion and Hayate rushed his models as they could (quite incredibly) and submitted them in a previously discussed deadline. But since every contestant (including A. Z.) expressed favourable, we'll count Pvt.Toma's entry in.

Since Pvt.Toma's entry was accepted, every contestant has the right to update their models until the moment of the poll. I'll put up the poll tomorrow (Saturday, July 9) at around 19:00 GMT. Notify me via PM in case you're updating it.

Level 42
My Model is Updated http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/ogre-goblin-cannon-squad.286291/

While for the Test map you have, I have one changes that Need to change, I think sending you the test map with this one small changes will be a big hassle,
I need to have my Unit Sound Set change to Ogre One Head instead, For some reason, My Portrait talk will bug on the Ogre SOund set (And Mortar Team) im not sure why, other seems fine (I tested Knight and Ogre One Head)

Somehow I don't know where is the PM button

@HappyCockroach

Whoever used those two days to update their entries, notify me of so. I'm putting up the poll at this moment.

Regarding Mike's participation, he shall be included, since in this contest we were inclusive in every case. But for the next time, to everyone - participating in a contest isn't solely posting the final entry, it's about posting WIP's here and interacting with other contestants.

Status
Not open for further replies.