• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #29 - Poll

Examine the entries carefully, and choose one to place your vote:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
9.png

poll.png

165527-albums6053-picture106490.jpg

Squad

Contestants should create a model that represents two or more separate characters that walk around together and act collaboratively at some animations, as the Mortar Team, or the Goblin Sappers.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
  • It is forbidden for participants to update their entries while the poll and/or judging are in course.
prizes.png

• First Place: 60 reputation points and your entry on the award icon.
  • Second Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon.
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon.
  • Participation: 5 reputation points.
entries.png

All the entries are imported to a Test Map meant for trying every aspect of the models in-game.

It's highly recommended you base your vote in the test map, but if you're unable to do it, the entries are listed individually below:​

ContestantSubmission Name
Astaroth ZionSkeleton Crew
HappyCockroachZangarmarsh Brewers
HayateOgre Goblin Cannon Squad
MikeAero Team
PROXYBoom Squad
Pvt.TomaChronosquad
Stefan.KBrothers in Arms
judges.png

• The_Silent
  • HappyTauren

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Mesh
How the mesh looks aesthetically? How are its proportions, its balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution?/10

Skin
How good is the wrap? Are custom textures appealing? Or how adequate are the in-game chosen textures? Is it blurry/stretched? Do the tones go well together?/10

Animations
How natural, smooth and appropriate are the animations? If they're custom, how well are they executed? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? If they are imported, how appropriate was the animation choice? How hard is it to relate it to the original in that case?/10

Effects
How adequate are the particle/ribbon/etc effects added? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressing? But are they added in a good measure? Did the model need more?/5

Mechanics
How well does the model work in-game? Are the animations recognizable in-game? Does it feature attachments/footprints/collisions/etc? Is it fully selectable?/5

Creativity
How original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? Does it fit the theme? Does it fit WC3 environment?/10

• 70% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.​

The poll will conclude on the 31st of July, 2016. The contest thread can be found here.

Attachments

• ModelingContest_29_TestMap.w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I voted for Astaroth Zion because I see it as the most creative entry in this contest, and possibly the most creative one among the past few contests. To me he has grasped fully and intelligently the idea of a Squad and applied it marvelously, with a richness of stances and different roles - all inside a consistent and WC3-consonant scheme.

I really like the other entries, they have many merits - Hayate's Ogre Canoneer almost got my vote, for a complex and solid execution in many aspects - but when I vote at polls I tend to value creativity above all, and the most groundbreaking idea was AZ's. :3

Level 21
Really digging the Skeleton Crew (no pun intended).
Also liking the Zangarmarsh Brewers and Ogre Goblin Cannon Squad.

Actually the Aero Team and Boom Squad are well done too. Can't decide...

edit:
Chose the Brewers for their fine animations and overall idea. Would've chosen the Skeleton Crew if their animations were better (less sudden transforming).

P.S: Two placeable votes would be preferable, having so many qualitative entries.

Level 26
It appears I'm only the second person voting for the Boom Squad. All you need to make the model awesome would be to rename spell animations to attack 2, that way it would look like this;
Attack 1 - 1
Attack 1 - 2
Attack 2 - 1
Attack 2 - 2
Then after playing around with the editor settings, you could set a max distance and a min distance for range and melee. Thus, the unit would shoot stuff far away, and slize at things getting close. I find it far more interesting than the rest. At least as a usable unit. The potioneers are fascinating concept wise, but I have no idea how to actually use it ingame. XD

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It appears I'm only the second person voting for the Boom Squad. All you need to make the model awesome would be to rename spell animations to attack 2, that way it would look like this;

Then after playing around with the editor settings, you could set a max distance and a min distance for range and melee. Thus, the unit would shoot stuff far away, and slize at things getting close. I find it far more interesting than the rest. At least as a usable unit. The potioneers are fascinating concept wise, but I have no idea how to actually use it ingame. XD
I love the Boom Squad, but I don't think it works like that (or rather, can). If you have a test map that'd be awexome... But AFAIK, the elusive "ranged attack anim @ range & melee attack anim @ close-up (against ground units)" nut still hasn't been cracked.

Then after playing around with the editor settings, you could set a max distance and a min distance for range and melee. Thus, the unit would shoot stuff far away, and slize at things getting close.
Hmm... that sounds like an awesome idea, but as far as I know, we aren't able to set different animation names in WE for each attack - only different missiles. And the unit will only perform attack 2 in case the unit isn't a valid target to attack 1 - for example, flying units (In the case you put, an unit which is far away would only be chased to melee range instead of shooting). With some trigger tinkering it might work, though - which is, doing instant changes at attack parameters and adding animation names via triggers.

Level 26
Actually, you can and I've made it work before. Setting a secondary attack lineup, you can thus configure it easily. You set the attack types to both. It's not about setting up new names, it's about using the right old ones.
Attack would naturally be a melee. As in 100 range. Attack 2 would be ranged, thus on average 600 range. You set the minimum attack range of Attack 2 to 200. That would mean that Attack 1 would be out of range for its normal attack when the enemies are far away and attack 2 would be unable to shoot with the enemy being too close.

In the past, I configured turrets like this, to make turrets rotate upwards to shoot air and whatnot. It should work fine with a unit model. Then again, setting up minimum attack range should be based on both attacks, so that could be tricky. Hm.

Level 3
Hooooey! That's some fantastic submissions. I prefer myself is

(Drumroll)

Hayate's Goblin Cannon Squad!

The animations is just smooth, noicely textured.
just doesn't have that many animations compared to others...

Level 14
For me, it was a tie between the ogre, the sceletons, and the former potioneers.
Initially, I liked the sceletons the most because of the creativity being over the top.
In the end, I voted for the zangmarsh brewers, because overall they were pretty good in each category, and they were not modified much after the first deadline ended. I think, they were animated very lovely as well.

I would like to say congratulations to all contestants. I am absolutely amazed by these model contests here, and one can learn so much from you guys! :)

I think, the squads really add a lot to the hives model data base.

Very disappointed that Ogre Goblin Cannon Squad didn't get that much attention. I think it's an outstanding model.
If you get disappointed with the poll, you need to start expecting something from it. Polls are always shitty, it is all-or-nothing. That's why in this contest poll has a little less of weight than previous Modeling Contests.

And about the results, we're still depending on one of the judging's to be finished.

Guys, a long time nothing was said here. I apologize as host that it has taken so long. The_Silent sent us his judging already, we've been waiting on HT's, which supposedly had it already finished but have been away for a while, before sending it.

We might move on with only The_Silent's judging, or find some quick volunteer to judge. I don't want to decide this by myself, since having only 1 judge isn't a typical thing in THW contests, and I'm a contestant myself, so... Thoughts?

(If anyone's eager to be a judge, let me know)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Do we need to have a Poll to decide this? 5* of the 7, a super-majority, have agreed to have just one Judge. With that one Judge already having been done (for months now), it's literally just a matter of copy-pasting that into a thread, tabulating the Poll & Judge Results, and calling it a day.

If making a "Results" thread would take too long, go the Heinvers-route & just post a "Results Post" in this thread.

This can happen. We can be free. @HappyCockroach

Status
Not open for further replies.