• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] List of WarCraft III Crashes

Level 17
Found another:

(1.26)
My game would not load (loading immediately crashed with a memory write error).
I pinpointed the root cause to be a VERY long if function.
About 260 lines.
About 100-120 elseifs inside.

Once I converted the last ~10 elseifs into 1 if + 9 elseifs, the problem went away.

Note: 1.30 (current b.net version) loaded the old map just fine. I think this is fixed in 1.30.

Level 19
Found another:

(1.26)
My game would not load (loading immediately crashed with a memory write error).
I pinpointed the root cause to be a VERY long if function.
About 260 lines.
About 100-120 elseifs inside.

Once I converted the last ~10 elseifs into 1 if + 9 elseifs, the problem went away.

Note: 1.30 (current b.net version) loaded the old map just fine. I think this is fixed in 1.30.
I've seen if-then-else func for 5k lines in a chinese map, dont think you're right about your reasons

I've encountered a Bug several times and i don't know whats causing it. What happens is that for an unknown reason all my imports size change to 0 and the editor can't read them. The way I've been fixing it to just re-import them, but I hate wasting time redoing the paths over and over. I think it started around the time I bought and installed the Reforged Beta. Does anyone have idea about what causing it?

Level 4
Hi, i dont think i have any of this list, my map crash a lot, but sometimes i can play it this launch like it have to. Sometimes i just have a "error" at the loading but if i press "ok" the game will start, but many times the game or the editor just crash, when i have a web page open on my second screen this page will crash to, what do you think about it ???

(sorry probably horrible english)

Level 4
I think I need to add to this List. Sadly.

I have an Annoying issue where the Editor Crashes right after I click Destructibles in the Object Editor. I need to fix things since its been a long time since i've wanted to edit the map.

Level 4
Creating timers and not destroying it, even though the game seems okay, will cause the game to hang then crash. It happened to me in Typescript while developing spells and I forgot to destroy the timer

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Creating timers and not destroying it, even though the game seems okay, will cause the game to hang then crash. It happened to me in Typescript while developing spells and I forgot to destroy the timer
This sounds like an infinite loop. Timer objects can be recycled and reused without issue. Some older systems even relied on recycling timers.

Level 4
This sounds like an infinite loop. Timer objects can be recycled and reused without issue. Some older systems even relied on recycling timers.
Ohh, so I think my problem is that I create a new timer for each loop and forgot to destroy it. It does not lag or have any performance issues, but the rendering just stops and the Warcraft hangs. It stopped crashing after I destroyed the timer.

Level 7
Possibly bad object data field values. A common one known to cause such crashes are setting a bad value for Techtree - Dependency Equivalents.
Expanding on this, I ran into the same issue, resulting from an apparent loop of Dependency Equivalents. I thought that it made sense to make two buildings equivalent, so that if something requires one in techtree, it could be fulfilled with the other instead. Unfortunately, that did not work, and just produced a crash.

Using too many % signs in the map script (the script that shows when you click the map's file name in the trigger editor, see pic) will cause your editor to crash while saving. I'm not entirely sure what the limit on % signs is but it will crash even if they're commented out. No idea why this happens.

Attachments

• mapscript.PNG
    mapscript.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 61
I bumped with a crash while making an Age of Empires 2 mod in Warcraft 3. The problem is that I don't know how this happens, but... whenever I build something it crashes to desktop, and I haven't messed with build or repair. I'm using many "Troll Berserker" tech and abilities to "upgrade" these buildings and units whenever a certain technology is researched. The thing is, before some changes on abilities it was working properly, but now it crashes... In the end I've figured out what it was... if you mess with the equivalent dependencies badly it will cause crashes.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
if you mess with the equivalent dependencies badly it will cause crashes.
This has been known for a long time. A typical occurrence of this crash that I have seen is when you select a builder and press the build button the game closes with an error message. In that case it was due to invalid equivalent dependencies on one of the buildable buildings.

Level 3
I seached HIVE for a "CUnitListNode" (.?AUCUnitListNode@@) crash, which happens when I try to load my campaign map (47 MB) from within the game.
Once I am kicked out and restart the game I can load the saved game. It is pretty annoying so I would be happy if somebody can tell me what could solve
the problem. My version is 126.0.6401 (in German) Hope you guys have an idea...

Setting Chain Lightning to target A LOT of units will cause a game crash. This is an issue I have never manage to sort for several years until today.

Attached a sample test map. The Blood Mage hero in the test map uses Chain Lightning (if he starts Starfall, just stun him using the Lieutenant's skill with incinerate icon).

For me, this is a breakthrough.

Attachments

• PotE Crash.w3x
    42.1 KB · Views: 10
Level 25
  • If you use Dark Portal and the minimum number of summoned units is higher than the maximum number.
  • If you have a building without pathing texture/AI pathing and no pathing requirement and let the AI build it.
I think there are plenty of AI crashes I don't even know about since I have too little experience with AI scripts.

Is there any way to analyze Warcraft's dump files? I have only found this tutorial: Crash Logs
Although I found some map strings and function names in the .dmp file, I did not get any real information from my files. It would be really helpful to have some kind of tool which can reproduce some stacktrace and maybe parameter values from the .dmp file. Is that only possible for Blizzard since they have to start the game to load the memory dump?

If you use the incorrect file extension for an icon path in object editor, some parts of the game will show it just fine, but other parts of the game will make it crash immediately.

For instance, I accidentally put .mdl instead of .blp at the end of an icon path. The editor showed the icon just fine. The command card in game showed the icon just fine. As soon as I selected 2 of the unit that was using that icon, the game crashed. Same happened for using .blp where .dds should've been used.

Level 12
- Ordering a unit to use Mana Burn on a unit that has no mana via triggers will instantly crash the game.

- Creating a minimap icon on the unit - if the unit dies, the minimap icon will leak, causing a slow build up on memory usage and eventually crash the game within few minutes. Make sure you Save the Minimap Icon in a variable and then destroy it after the unit dies immediately.

- Setting Cluster Rockets damage to 0 or 1 and then using the spell once it's either level 2 or 3 will freeze the game after maybe 3 or 4 spell casts.

Last edited:
Level 3
I have the same issue, I've been working on a map since more than a month and now everytime I try to open it, the editor crashes with an error message which basically says nothing at all. How can I fix that in order to continue my map ? Do I have to redo everything ?

It's happening since 1.33 update..

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
I have the same issue, I've been working on a map since more than a month and now everytime I try to open it, the editor crashes with an error message which basically says nothing at all. How can I fix that in order to continue my map ? Do I have to redo everything ?

It's happening since 1.33 update..
Hey, folks, I have a problem since the last game update. I can't open some of my maps in the World Editor anymore. Only a few of them can be opened. And there pops up "referencing unknown database field: 'netsafe'. Is there anything I can do? Everything used to work perfectly, none of the maps were damaged or smth.

You all need to re-enable JassHelper.

Level 3
Could you be more specific ? I know where to enable it in the editor but my map crashes before even finishing loading.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Level 3
No worries.

I'm not using QuenchingMod and never have. On the same night, I was able to open the map and modify it but couldn't test it ingame since I needed to download the 1.33 update. I did that and since then my map keeps crashing after loading the assests of the map and right before opening it.

I guess I'll wait until the next patch comes up, hoping it fixes it. Thank you for your time!

Level 29
I opened Gameplay Constants and changed some armor values, the editor crashes every time. Is this known?
I'm seeing this exact same thing. This one is pretty irritating.
There are quite a few broken things recently with 1.33 (latest Reforged patch), especially the World Editor. Usually, the map crashes in the latest version of World Editor is linked to corrupted model files (BLP), but the insufficient memory usage might be another main reason since the game now uses a lot of memory (16 GB) in order to execute properly. When you made changes in Object Editor related to "Unit Type" thing, the palette window is broken. All icons are positioned in wrong place (two columns).

Level 10
There are quite a few broken things recently with 1.33 (latest Reforged patch), especially the World Editor. Usually, the map crashes in the latest version of World Editor is linked to corrupted model files (BLP), but the insufficient memory usage might be another main reason since the game now uses a lot of memory (16 GB) in order to execute properly. When you made changes in Object Editor related to "Unit Type" thing, the palette window is broken. All icons are positioned in wrong place (two columns).
You mean, there is now way to fix that?

Level 29
You mean, there is now way to fix that?
You should read this advice below:
Blizzard probably won't fix it, along with all the other editor crashes and game crashes and stuff introduced in the August 17th patch. We are not sure they have anyone technical who even understands the game anymore. The rumor is that 1 guy left from the Reforged team released Patch 1.33 on August 17th even though it was made in 2020 by the (now disbanded) classic games team. After Patch 1.33 went live with all these bugs a job opening appeared at Blizzard for a WoW server engineer who part times with fixing War3. So the guy after he published the update with all these bugs might have left the company for all we know.
To be summarize, all World Editor bugs that's related to 1.33 are indeterminely unsolved. 1.33 only adds the Ranked Ladder to the versus mode.

Level 39
I tried to open the unfinished map for my custom campaign, it suddenly crashed. The map editor of the 1.33 patch is causing problems.
There are a LOT of recent threads about this. Do a quick search and you'll find a bunch about crashing maps and corrupted imports. I believe most of the threads end up resolved so there are solutions out there.