• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lightning effect(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this the first of the chain of tutorials that i will submit(using photoshop), that will teach you how to make good effect/icons.(there will be pictures to refer to at the end of each "chapter"

Creating the new document- Ok so first of all you need to create a new document(cntrl+n), and set the size to 500*200pixels. Here is a picture for reference-
thunder-storm-lightning1.gif

Choosing the colors- Now after you have created your new document what you need to do is select the gradient tool, put the options to the ones in the picture below(also these are the default setting) and set the colors to black and white. Then color it in from top to bottom(hold down the shift key to get a straight line)-
thunder-storm-lightning2.gif

thunder-storm-lightning3.gif

Making it look like a lightning bolt- Now what you have to do go to Filter>Render>Difference clouds and select that difference clouds options. Right now it doesn't look like a lightning bolt but you will see as soon as you invert the colors(cntrl+I), now you can start to see the lightning. Next step to do is adjust the settings. Go to Image>Adjustments>Levels(Cntrl+L) and adjust them to the picture below. Now it should look like the last picture in this section
Not Inverted-
thunder-storm-lightning4.gif

Inverted-
thunder-storm-lightning5.gif

thunder-storm-lightning6.gif

thunder-storm-lightning7.gif

Time to add color- this is by far the most fun part of this whole section, because you can play around with the settings. First of all go to Hue and Saturation(Cntrl+U) and select a color from the drop down menu(red, blue, yellow, magenta, cyan), and then play around with the settings. For this part of the tutorial i chose the color blue. Now just change the settings until you like it, and import the lightning into your picture! Viola you have made lightning! Have fun and be creative! I will have more tutorials on the way soon.
EDIT- If you are going to put this into your picture make sure to use the screen option under layer blending options
thunder-storm-lightning8.gif

thunder-storm-lightning9.gif

Attachments

• thunder-storm-lightning1.gif
    thunder-storm-lightning1.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 173
  • thunder-storm-lightning2.gif
    thunder-storm-lightning2.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 160
  • thunder-storm-lightning3.gif
    thunder-storm-lightning3.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 196
  • thunder-storm-lightning4.gif
    thunder-storm-lightning4.gif
    56.5 KB · Views: 196
  • thunder-storm-lightning5.gif
    thunder-storm-lightning5.gif
    52.7 KB · Views: 231
  • thunder-storm-lightning6.gif
    thunder-storm-lightning6.gif
    11 KB · Views: 56
  • thunder-storm-lightning7.gif
    thunder-storm-lightning7.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 92
  • thunder-storm-lightning8.gif
    thunder-storm-lightning8.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 47
  • thunder-storm-lightning9.gif
    thunder-storm-lightning9.gif
    23.1 KB · Views: 108
Level 17
Followed the tutorial got this as result.

Nice tutorial, for newbies like me.

Attachments

• Lightning.jpg
    Lightning.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 115
Level 10
I doubt that you made this tutorial.

he didnt, i have done this same exact graphic before by reading a tutorial off the internet, either he copied it or just reworded it, you did not make this tutorial.
And your bro DID NOT write that tutorial thats such fucking bullshit, iv had problems with you before but this is over the fucking top.

Level 10
Saying you "saw your bro make it" is not going to persuade any one, and since you dont care what people think dont write tutorials if your not willing to fucking listen or help people. And copying others work is against the rules anyways whether its your brother or not, and saying ur bro wrote it isnt going to save you from the harsh punishment of plagurism here at the hiveworkshop.com i suggest you take down the tutorial before you are delt with. my 2 cents. just saving you a possible ban and loosing aton of rep is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.