• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Life of a Settler

Should the map be protected or not?

• The map should be protected (Yes)

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • The map shouldn't be protected (No)

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • It dosn't matter if the map is protected or not (I don't know)

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Uhh, I was doing my edited version of Dark Green, it's a little too big and animals spawn inside. But with the Marketplace there, it should be fine.

How about you working on Light Blue area and I work on Dark Green area?

How about making each chicken cost like 10 gold or something? And increase their build time? So players can't spam so many chickens and they can't be millionaires within minutes.

Limiting chickens, in my opinion, is not a good idea. When player's forces expand and wars happen, it's possible they need more $$. Making each chicken cost 10 gold and have them be trained longer is a better option.

I just played the second game as Dark Green team, and the same happened. Dark Green guards keep spawning and flooding even though Light Blue's castle is in ruins.

Make them Neutral Hostile?
And the orcs can be Neutral Hostile too at first, but change them into Neutral Extras as soon as map loads.

You're welcome. :)

How about ONE other people AT A TIME edit and add something, then have the edited map sent back to you and you or one other people edit the map?
===============
Suggestions:

Guards and Guard Towers look exactly the same as respectively Swordsmen and Scout Towers??? How about making Guards use Captain/Elven Swordsman model while Guard Towers a little darker and bigger? Scout Towers using, well, Scout Tower model?

I think we can add in Walls and some other stuffs as building options for Settlers. You can get some building and unit ideas from Custom Castle Defense.
Sounds good ^^

I've got few modifications done tho, if you want the file I'm uploading it right now ^^ (Uploaded, or should be)

I've started making a basic cataclysm triggers but it's kinda hard to make it uses abilities... ^^'.

Anyway, I've added the requirement for the cities to have their main building alive (the castle and the tree of life for now ^^)

I've changed the dark green race. They are now Elves.

(I've changed the triggers that spawn units for greens accordingly.)
I've also changed the old grey to Pink, the naga are now Grey and the Orcs are now Green.

There is still 6 player slots to be played as.

Anyway, it should now work better.
(Also, I've started the dark green terraining a bit ^^)
It now has some trees!

Gonna update the main post to include you in the credits for helping me ^^.

For the guards, yea I kinda forgot to choose the model ^^' (Sowwy)

EDIT1:

Anyway, I'm a bit done for now ^^ I'll mostly be working on some better images for the post and I'll try to get some musics done for the map too ^^.

Attachments

• Life of a Settler v0.1.4.w3x
    521.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Level 22
Just played this version and this is what I have so far:
  • Good! The eastern part is finally filled with trees and looks more complete.
  • Just incase you forgot: Guard and Swordsman still the same, Scout Tower and Guard Tower still the same.
  • I don't know why but Huntresses are stuck and clumped together (see pictures below). After running a short distance, the Huntresses all decide to go back and result in a massive crowd at the Tree of Eternity. It causes lag too.
    wc3scrnshot_070916_192121_01-png.242557
    wc3scrnshot_070916_192121_01-png.242557
  • Perhaps just replace the Huntresses with Sentries with exact same stats (HP, attacks, armor, etc.) as human Guards (except looks)?
  • The AI only moves his Settler to a build spot and then just let him stand there like it's nothing. Perhaps the starting funds for AI is too low and they can't plant stuffs and sell 'em. You need 200 gold to build a Chicken House, but each player starts with only 120 gold!

I've seen that you made a great effort and dedication to your work. Good luck.

Oh, I also have some (silly) ideas:
  • Perhaps a "Prussian Werewolf" mode where one random player get chosen as the Prussian Royal (the identity's secret for first 30 minutes though)? His goal is to dominate and unite the entire map into one Kingdom. At first he started as a disguise of normal Settler, and has access to normal Settler stuffs. But the Prussian Royal techtree start to diverge from other Settlers when Prussian's going to build a Castle and some other near-advanced stuffs (Arcane Sanctum, Workshop, etc.). Once Prussian Royal gets his own Castle, he will have access to some powerful near-WW1 stuffs (not too advanced though, and he can't use powerful magics). But everyone (including) will be notified of his real identity, and go to war with him. He'll be turned to the badass hero Prussian King though.

He can have access to more resources and more food limit but he must be careful not to expose himself.
    If a player finds out about his identity before Castle or 30 minutes, he can write a command "prussia.found". If the player IS at war with Prussia and has personally injured the Prussian Settler, then the system will ask the color of the player, who will then reply "Red/Blue/Purple/Orange, etc."?

When exposed before Castle or 30 minutes, he will still be a badass hero but he'll lose all extra incomes and buffs, maybe even a deduction in current resource and penalty in units?

In short, the Prussian player:
    • can build trenches.
    • can train some badass troops (but very expensive -- and NOT too advanced stuffs).
    • gain access to more Food Cap (200 or maybe 300 Food Cap) and some periodic income.
    • has a badass hero after building Castle or 30 minutes has passed.
    • but he can't use advanced magics that other Settlers can.
    • When exposed, he'll still be badass hero but with penalty and lose all extra income/resources?

This idea was inspired by the maps Werewolf Transylvania, Betrayal (a 12-player map where 2 of them are secretly Betrayers where they must eliminate all other players including each other) as well as after listening to Prussian Glory.
    -
  • Make it so that one random player will be "The Special One"? This started as a wild crazy fantasy in my mind. The Naga Queen has a secret crush on the "The Special One" and she seeks to make him her personal adjutant (and slave). That "Special One" has to do a long quest for her, like sabotaging something, stealing something and inciting some chaos; before that Naga Queen becomes his wife and before he has full access to normal Settler's building options. "The Special One" cannot marry any other wife, though.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_070916_192121_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_070916_192121_01.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 301
  • WC3ScrnShot_070916_193814_04.png
    WC3ScrnShot_070916_193814_04.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Level 5
Yea, for the guards (swordmans and such) I didn't forget them but fixing few other problems were more necessary ^^...

Anyway, Tonight I can't work on the map because of some other projects that requires me.

I'll definetely start working back on the map tomorrow as soon as I can.

For the elves. I Kinda only changed it and didn't really tried for long. It worked well in the time I tried it. (Which was the time it took me to make a base.) (Some time the AI on the map kinda fails, I really need to find a better way to make it.)
For the AI itself, well the AI goes to the building spot but idk why, sometimes he won't build and sometime he will. (I need to find a better way to make that AI.)

About adding new stuff, I'd definetely add some more, but maybe after fixing these current problems ^^' (It won't really be good if I always add and add without fixing. I got a lot of features to fix already. But this will definetely be on the to-add list.)

Also, since I've started training to someday SpeedRun The legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64, I'll still be able to update the map, but well. I might not be able to update the forum as often as I could already.
(I'll definetely try to keep you guys updated as much as I could. But yea. If anybody wants to help on the making of the map. He's welcome to ^^)

Also, again for the Werewolf. I've definetely thought of some sort of random event that would occure in-game (Such as random cataclysm's and maybe some random transformation among the players/AI (Depending on the amount there is.)) But what you wrote there could definetely work. But only thing... I can't really use 12 players at the moment ^^ (Lot's of factions that take some slots. (Can't put them all in the same one, it won't spawn all the units.))

Anyway, I'm off for the night ^^' I'll try to keep you guys updated as much as I can on the map progress.

Also. As I said in my last post I'll mostly try to update the post images and suchs, they're kinda old and need some cleaning a bit more. It will probably help getting the project understood a bit more clearly.
I'll definetely work on the map as well, but my main goal tomorrow is to get these images cleaned. I'll maybe ask on of my friend to help me if he wants too ^^.

So, well... See you tomorrow as soon as I can. I won't be able to stream the progress for now tho... (Sadly I got someone in my room doing a lot of noise and it would be too annoying for the viewers. I could do a mic-off one, but it would get borring really fast.)

Anyway, See you guys tomorrow ^^.

Level 22
How about I do some minor edits on models and then send it to you?

But only thing... I can't really use 12 players at the moment ^^ (Lot's of factions that take some slots. (Can't put them all in the same one, it won't spawn all the units.))

Just use the two other extra Neutral slots? Neutral Extra and Neutral Victim? (you have to use triggers to assign units to these two Neutral players)

Level 5
How about I do some minor edits on models and then send it to you?

Just use the two other extra Neutral slots? Neutral Extra and Neutral Victim? (you have to use triggers to assign units to these two Neutral players)

Sure go for it ^^

For the two neutral:
It could be worth a try. I'll try it as soon I got more time.

Level 5
Little update:

I just fixed the problems with the huntresses being stuck at one trigger. (I kinda forgot to change the conditions on them ^^')
Anyway, now they move perfectly. Also. I fixed the stats on the huntresses as well.

For the amount of player slots currently available in-game:

It's not too bad actually. 6 Players is kinda good for the map size and the amount of npc's and suchs that there is currently ^^. (I'll still try the neutral slots, but for now it might be on a later update ^^. Right now the map don't have enough content for 8 players. (It barely has enough for 1 player ^^, because every updates are trigger sided (Or almost all of the updates.)))

Level 5
Sorry for not being active much, I had to switch over to my OSX for few days. (Had to compile few things for the team I work with)
I've not been able to update the map much since the last update.

I'll try to get back to updating it as fast as I can.

I just switched back on windows to update you guys on why I wasn't updating much right now.

Anyway, sorry once again for this..

Level 6
Well, as expected this project is barely started and already dead.

Tho I cant blame you. At some point you will reach a limit in the WC3 editor!

Simulation games are not very good idea on this engine. Just stick to simple Basebuilding army/moba style games.

Level 5
Well, as expected this project is barely started and already dead.

Tho I cant blame you. At some point you will reach a limit in the WC3 editor!

Simulation games are not very good idea on this engine. Just stick to simple Basebuilding army/moba style games.
The project isn't dead yet, I just need to actually either work back on it for wc3, or port it to sc2 which might be a better idea now that I play it more ^^'...)

If anybody still wants to try working on the wc3 one I'll be posting the latest version I've got.

Otherwise sorry for not updating much.

The project isn't really far, true... but there's already some good features already available yet. (Not balanced at all yet, but working as of now.) (And if I recall well, sry didn't open the project file to write this post..., the AI is close to fully functional.)
This project didn't use any JASS Scripting. It was made using all the default trigger options available. Which made it much harder to do ^^...
I don't mind the higher difficulty, It has had some great improvements since the first post I've made back then... but yea... I think I might be porting the project over sc2 and if I do, I will probably have to redo pretty much everything, or most of it, since it was currently supposed to be more of a fantasy/medieval themed map ^^.

Sure SC2 might not be as fun for such map, but I'm willing to try it.
I can't assure it will come in any soon or if it will ever, but once I have something ready or something good enough to be shown, I'll make sure to let you guys know in the right section(obviously). Sry for not working as much on the map as I originally thought I would/could be.

I'll be starting the sc2 project probably tonight/tomorrow, but otherwise idk when I'll be working on it.

But yea. I'll probably be posting the wc3 version latest version file tomorrow if I get the basic systems working on sc2.
(Crops might not be crops anymore, but something similar, I'll see how it goes..., I might have to either find custom models or try making my own(Which is a pain in *You know what* ^^')).
Hopefully I can get something done soon to get myself forgiven ^^' (Don't think this will be a better project or anything, I'm just gonna do a port for now, and idk either if it will be working or not. I got to find the actual wc3 file and then I post it ^^ that's why I might post it tomorrow, got a lot of external drives to search in...)

Anyway, once again sorry for not updating this project on wc3 anymore.
Map Source coming soon!

Level 5
So, do you intend to pass the project for others?

Good luck in your sc2 project by the way.
The actualy wc3 project, yes, if someone is willing to continue it, he is welcomed to.
As of myself I'd rather port it on sc2, (Mostly because I've started playing back sc2 more lately ^^')

I might sometimes try adding features here and there, but I won't be working priorily on the wc3 map.

Best regards.
(I do intend to work back on the map, but even I don't know when it will happen. I've not played wc3 for a while now and I can't really think of any new features to add. (Which wouldn't take months of tweaking because I've decided to use the regular trigger systems ^^)).
I've worked a lot on it, but yet it didn't go far a lot, the AI was finished few months ago (can't really remember x), it's been a while.)
I could probably start the guild system tho. I'll start up that sc2 map work and I'll try to add/fix few things on the old map before releasing it. (Shouldn't be so long tho. I'm still gonna release the map latest version today ^^.)

Level 5
Here's the latest version I've got.
(To be opened with the newgen editor (mostly becuase of the amount of doodads)(The JASS one))

Attachments

• Life of a Settler v0.1.4.w3x
    522.1 KB · Views: 56
Level 5
Ok i played 0.1.2 and it just seems like a custom melee map right now. With barely anything to do or any buildings / units.

As directive said I never said this map was completed nor if it will ever be.
I have had a lot of things to do in the past years and sadly the map development had to be slowed down a lot.

If you expected a fully fleshed out and finished map, you might have gone to the wrong section. I do plan on finishing this map someday, however I cannot say when or if it will ever release completely finished.

There always is a small thing to adjust, add or even remove. And I have yet to find them all.

As for the features, they are clearly presented on the main post.

Anyway, now that this matter is done with, here is a small news for you all.
I will be starting back the development of the map. A lot of features might change and a lot might even go completely. At the beginning I wanted to recreate a map like Founder of the North, but sadly features like FOTN had are not easy to add using only the editor's pre-made scripts. I do not plan on making my own jass scripts. I still think the project is viable with the editor's limitations. True, it slows down the development by a lot, but at least I am having fun working on the map.

So, to make a quick post, I am starting back this project and I do not intend overworking it like I did last time.
(No I am not starting back from the beginning, I will simply readjust and rework the current features and then work on adding new ones.)

Now for the better part of this post, I am all open for suggestions.
If you do suggest something, please be clear about the idea.

Anyway, have a great time, now I have to get back to working on that map ^^.

Last edited:
Level 5
Small news: I have downloaded WEX to further develop this map. Until the 1.29 officially comes out, I will be mostly working on the simple systems. (AI will sadly have to wait a little bit. As well as a few other small, but hard to achieve without vJass systems. (Still not ready to learn vJass ^^.))

Level 5
This map is great, it's sad that it's been given up on. Not surprised based on the time,
though I'd like to see it with the rest of the Warcraft maps on Hive, instead of having it hidden here in a forum thread.
I do agree, sadly right now I'm trying to focus a little more on my future to have a little more time so I can continue working on such project. Once I'm done with getting my diploma (with the system here I can't do anything without a Diploma.) I will be working back on my projects even more. I still work by time to time on it, but as I wrote a little while a go, as soon as the next update comes out, I'll try to get a little more features finished and get it increasingly updated.

And now that I managed to get myself a little more time for such projects, I am making myself a small schedule to follow.

Also, something that is to keep in mind, I am working with the most basic stuff on any mapping made so far.
I planned a lot of features which usually would be made using JASS scripting. But for the sake of keeping it simple for everyone to use as either a template or as an example of where default options can get us I have kept it that way. Do not worry, I do not regret anything of this. In fact it makes me even prouder to have a lot of these features already on their way to work and only needing a little more tweaks before being ready for implementation.

Anyway, thank you for posting, usually I try to keep the project in mind, but it does happen that I forget and I saw an email earlier today and said to myself, yeah it is time that I work back on this map like I wanted originally. I ought that to everyone who still believe in this map.

Last edited:
Level 5
Quick update:
I have updated the map a little bit once again.
Changes to the terrain as finally been made again and it looks more and more better. I have added a nice little blocked off zone on the bottom right for an infected area. (Currently empty of any scripting/entities. Still trying to figure out what I will put there. But at least now there's something to hide that nothingness a small bit while it's being slowly implemented.)

Anyway, I am still working on figuring out exactly how everything will go.
Hopefully I get a few ideas when waking up back tomorrow.
Have a good night everyone. I have uploaded the latest changes on the github repository. (As always, the repository will hold versions and such for an easier way of getting the builds reachable before uploading the final release on the map section itself.) And I am also trying to keep the trello page up-to-date, sorry one again for the slow development. I am doing my best I can currently to keep up the dev' on-going.

Level 3
Wheat costs 40 gold to plant but only values 25 gold when sold.
Money is lost through farming wheat. Farming profits are fine with Corn.

When Dark Green castle is destroyed, enemies keep spawning as if nothing happened.
Light Blue computer destroys Dark Green over time, without any help.

There are no victory conditions & nothing happens when enemies are annihilated.

Last edited:
Level 5
Currently on the latest build available on github, I disabled such system until they are reworked. As for the wheat I will take a look into that for the next update.

But yeah the waves and such should be disabled as of now, I will take another look in to it once I can, but it should be disabled until ready to be fixed (I have quite a few triggers to redo and simplify if I can). Currently there is no win condition as there isn't really a win goal. But I might add a timer for like a 60 minutes game or so maximum game length.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.