1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The member Kam is making HIVE coasters. Take a look. For every coaster you buy, Hive gets $1.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it. Join (Optionally) Paired Techtree Contest #11 - Techno Magic now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Hero Contest #8 is up and running! This time it's a joint contest between artists and coders. Go here for team matchmaking.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The ninth Concept Art Contest has launched. Enter now!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our first StarCraft contest, The Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders has started. Enter to show off your Galaxy Editor skills and win a custom rank icon among other things.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Ever wanted to get your sets ready for fast texturing while still having fun? Now it is possible with our newest Mini-Texturing Contest.
    The Skeleton Units need your dire help!
    Dismiss Notice

I can never stick with an idea

Discussion in 'Warcraft Town Hall' started by Marine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Marine

Marine
    Over the years, I've had hundreds of game ideas and I've started them all in the Editor. The longest time I've spent on any particular one was three days.

I feel really passionate about making the map, at first, but then I just don't want to and move on to a new one, repeating and repeating and repeating. I really want to publish a game but I've never finished one.

Does anyone else have this problem, where they are just incapable of finishing a map?

2. Meticulous

Meticulous
    Probably 90% of people or you'd see a lot more finished projects around Hive.

3. Spartipilo

Spartipilo
    Go to a psychologist. The game doesn't have the fault of you not being able to finish what you want. Start with small ideas, maybe a TD or simple character battle... Then grow up. I spent three months almost 6 hours/day and then I realized I was working on something to big... I didn't lost that time, I invested it to realize that, though I want to make maps as you do, I don't want to spend my time on it.

4. Karzama

Karzama
    I've had that for a while if I'm honest. I've got a load of maps that I haven't finished but I seem to go back to them and add bits. But if I have an idea and I get bored I do start a new map, but then I get bored of that one so I either create a new one or go back to one of my old ones and develop that a bit further. I've now got a few maps on the go, some major some minor. But they'll all get finished in the end. :) (Hopefully.... XD)

5. Codric

Codric
    I have made tons of campaign maps and just never seem to stick with em'.

6. Arhowk

Arhowk
    i usually make a map, find a way to improve it, make a new map with improvements, etcetc. untill i get a finished product

7. Undead0dd

Undead0dd
    I get this too, i've made over 30 unfinished maps (2/3rd didn't even playtest and lost it)

But for me, to keep making a map, is to try creating something that was difficult for me (in WC3, would be Trigger Enhanced spells.) When I see it work in-game, I'd be proud of myself.

8. Jazztastic

Jazztastic
    I usually quit halfway through a project. I'll get a stable working base, but then I'll have to go through the monotony of adding heroes, items, spells, units, and making it all balanced, and I just blanche at the idea. The biggest thing you can do it post in the map dev section. I try to make enough work each week to look like I'm actually trying at my map, and I keep the thread updated with changes. Posting a thread in map dev gives you a sense of responsibility to finish the map, otherwise you get a reputation for not finishing (cough cough "one of the best terrainers in wc3")

9. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

I have the same problem, you just gotta work on the parts that are most interesting to you. Eventually the process will become monotonous and annoying to work with, so just keep doing something new here and there. I find that it is really helpful to make systems for everything, in a separate map. This allows me to just transport it to any map so i don't have to recreate it a bajillion times.

Also, choose something you know you/others will enjoy but isn't too stressful to make. Try not to make a map that is too complicated, because those are the ones that are most difficult to complete. Start out with one of your ideas that is a bit less ambitious, and work from there.

10. WaterKnight

WaterKnight
    Make the conceptions beforehand and set yourself precise goals. And force yourself now and then.

11. sonofjay

sonofjay
    start on a small map with simple triggers, systems, concepts, then as you near to finish it expand the complexity of your systems, concepts etc.

12. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg
    i get tired of projects after a while myself. i just put them on hold for a while though and work on them again later. it helps me with getting more ideas into production while at the same time enabling me to get a break from the other project. hope it helps.

13. Spartipilo

Spartipilo
    Work with someone, so both hold each other.

14. RiotApe

RiotApe
    yeah, i feel the exact same way. i love making maps, i make a lot. too many that my friends laugh at me every time i say "i'm making a new map". cause i never finish them.. one of the reasons why, is that when i'm almost finish, only then i find out my map's full of leaks, and it just gets too tiring to find all of them and fix them.. i'm actually working on a new one again. HAHA

15. AntoMarc

AntoMarc
    You described me perfectly.. I've started dozens of campaigns over the years and most of them had a great plot/concept imo, but I always quited after a couple of days/weeks. Quite amusing since I'm motivated in almost everything, but I never seem to finish one map because I lack motivation in this field.

16. Adiktuz

Adiktuz
    I get this when I look at new jass systems available... When better systems arrive, sometimes it seems much easier to scrap the current project and redo it from scratch rather than editing...

17. ExMortis

ExMortis
    I can't even remember the last time I started a map/campaign except for the actual one. I've always modified so much that I got an error log I didn't understand, than I've lost interest at that point:D

18. takakenji

takakenji
    I Agree

19. Kas

Kas
    i have MANY ideas. the problem is, i cant use the trigger editor, so im stuck with unit editing

20. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg
    i couldnt use the trigger editor well either but i learned to use it well. if you need pointers on how to use the trigger editor there is plenty of people that can help you including me.