• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Human Catapult

"During the First War when the Orcs first attempted to invade Azeroth, the noble Humans made use of their own resources in order to push back their enemy. Among those weapons are the Catapults, which are similar in function to their Orcish counterparts. During the Second War that followed, these Catapults were largely dropped in favour of the more technologically advanced Ballista that was developed by the newly formed Alliance as a result of collaboration between the Humans, the High Elves and the Dwarves."

This model is a recreation of the Human Catapult from Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, which was the very first Warcraft game. However, as both the Orc and Human Catapults had identical designs in WC1, I had to modify WC3's existing Orc Catapult in order to make it look more like a seperate Human design. The result is something that is intended to be used alongside the regular Orc Catapult, making it useful in First War themed maps but could also see some use in other areas due to its less tribal appearance.

This model uses ingame textures, so no need to worry about texture paths. The model also does not require a portrait since there was one already built-in from when I edited it. As a result, this model should be very easy to import!

If you want to use this model then feel free to do that, provided that you'll give credit to me in return.

UPDATE 1:
Removed the wings from the chassis and added a bit more metal to it. It should look a bit better now. The mesh has been slightly altered, too.

UPDATE 2:
Updated for moderator's approval. Added death and attack sounds, footprint effects and a collision box.

UPDATE 3:
Recalculated extents and made portrait glow unselectable.

Keywords:
Warcraft I, Warcraft 1, WCI, WC1, siege, weapon
Contents

Human Catapult (Model)

Reviews
13:30, 11th Apr 2013 Misha: works excellent ingame, but give it a death sound.. and maybe wheel-tracks when it moves well done, approved

M

13:30, 11th Apr 2013
Misha: works excellent ingame, but give it a death sound.. and maybe wheel-tracks when it moves
well done, approved

Level 25
The textures don't match each other at all. Replace the camapaign texture one entirely or add more metal to it, replace the stone texture of the "gun" with something more detailed and do just something to these wings at the side, they look horribly by now.

I disagree. Only the wings don't fit. I'm sure you could find a better texture for those. Anyway, good job!

Level 16
The textures don't match each other at all. Replace the camapaign texture one entirely or add more metal to it, replace the stone texture of the "gun" with something more detailed and do just something to these wings at the side, they look horribly by now.

It really doesn't look that bad. The texture could be better, but the concept of the idea works.

Oh my. That sounds quite exciting. You're gonna base it on the Sappers, I assume?

The Mortar Team, actually. I did modify some of the animations to be more fitting for purpose, such as altering the Attack animation to become a new Stand Death animation that's similar to what the Sappers have, while removing the ones that aren't. As for everything else, you should see it in my WIP thread.

In fact, I'm pretty close to releasing them but unfortunately the model has some sort of bug which I cannot seem to identify.

Level 2
This model is quite excellent, but for functionality it would be nice if it had teamcolors somewhere else... perhaps on the wheels or on part of the back. Maybe even a small flag on the back part? As it is, it's impossible to tell what team it's on if it's facing north. I realize this is a 7 year old upload so I'll understand if you don't want to return to it. Great job otherwise!