• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive 2 Sneak Peek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
attachment.php
Hello everyone,

As Archian so boldly promised last week, we will have a preview of Hive 2 today. I am quite busy this week, but I figured that since the development was done on my machine, it would be harder for Archian to actually show you what we have done so far.

First a bit of history though. Many years ago when I started getting tired of vBulletin, I fantasized about building my own forum system. I spent 2-3 years working on this and build things to be very optimized and cool, but in the end, it wasn't a great user experience and it was still quite buggy. I decided that if I were to actually ever ship something, I would have to use an existing forum system instead. So I scrapped it.. I did so about a year ago. I never scrapped the idea of getting off vBulletin though. It is very smelly under the hood and it is not easy to work with neither as an admin, nor as a programmer.
I went looking for forum systems. I had two priorities:
1. It should be elegant and very capable of being expanded by custom code.
2. It should be a somewhat simple forum system without too many features out of the box.
So many forum systems these days contain so much more that I don't need and it's annoying that it's there.
Before we used vBulletin, we had phpBB. These days it still seems common practice to make code edits to the phpBB code base which is not very elegant when you update to newer versions and it is not exacty programmer friendly. It's probably easy to extend, but it is not built with extensibility in mind.
The more recent versions of vBulletin are even worse than what we have now. They are becoming more and more bloated with things I don't need. The code is also not very nice. Even in our current version there is heavy code duplication. I know this is not something all of you understand, but consider this: Don't social groups seem a lot like forums? They can contain threads and they can be restricted to a group of people, they can have leaders (moderators). All this is separate limited and not very well integrated code. With a little bit of thought, it could be implemented while sharing code with the forum system. You would get subscriptions, post count, reputation, attachments for free, but no.
I looked at Invision Power Board which is somewhat cool, but it is just so old and boring.
Finally, I looked at XenForo, a reasonably recent forum system. After studying the code for a few weeks I was sure that this is what I wanted for Hive 2. ANY part of this system is designed for a programmer to change or add more features. It is like legos, made for you to change any part to work differently depending on your taste. The attachment system, search system, like-system (I know... But we can easily replace it with reputation), permission system, discussion system are all there for you to re-use them in different contexts. They even do this themselves with threads, VMs and PMs. They are all just different types of discussions but they share 90% of the code. This also means that their PM system is much more powerful, they are basically a private thread instead of being like an email system.
XenForo is awesome.

I wrote a little bit of code for XenForo last year, but since then I have been quite busy with my school and job, so to be honest I don't have that much to show you today. What I can show you though, is how fast you can actually build pretty cool things.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I spent about 3 weeks (about 3-4 evenings per week) developing a new pastebin for XenForo. It is pretty much done and is better than our old one. It uses the XenForo attachment system which gives us the ability to select a group of files at the same time and upload them all at once. Also, it gives you better thumbnails and the XenForo message editor (In vBulletin it was practically impossible to take their editor and put it in our pastebin and resource upload pages). It took a few hours to integrate it with the XenForo permission system, so depending on which usergroup you are in, you have different permissions in the pastebin. Those of you who are or used to be moderators will know that being able to integrate with the permission system is a big improvement over what we have now as my home-rolled permission system (used for resource sections mostly) is dreadful and hard to maintain.
I still need to spend some time with Archian for him to tweak the pastebin interface to his liking. It may look a little rough around the edges, but I insisted that you had to see it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Archian and I have been meeting regularly and working on themes for this new site. We are at work on this new version of the Night Elf theme. So far it is going pretty well and feels like a fresh take on this old and creaky site :). We are also planning on putting a lot of work into other themes, but for now the goal is to replace the current site with a new one without losing any functionality.

By the way. Now and again people ask for an API or mobile friendly version of the site. XenForo has this built-in. Also, there is an extension to add an API for the popular app Tapatalk to use. I may add that at some point depending on the demand.
attachment.php

Archian has made several screenshots of how he thought the site should look. We are using them as reference for many things but not all. Do keep that in mind.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So.. When is it ready?
There is still a lot of work to do. The pastebin only requires a few more hours and it will be done. Then I will attack the resource sections. It will take more time than the pastebin, but less time than it took when I created our current resource sections. Back then I was a horrible programmer (they always say that when looking back) and copy-pasted a lot of code when making a new section. This time when I have built one, it will not take much time to build the next as most of the work will be put into the "upload page" and the "view page". The rest is mostly the same.
I am planning many cool things for the new resource sections. Multiple authors, multiple resources per resource (what..?). By this I mean that you can add more files to a single resource. For example, you can add icons to a model as a single resource and you can upload multiple textures as a single resource (Because I am not so happy that people upload the rest of the textures somewhere else and link to them). This new system should be more flexible, but with power comes responsibility. Resources that don't belong together needs to be split up and resources that do should eventually be merged into a single resource.
Currently, you can only upload a single screenshot per resource. This limitation is stupid and annoys many. For the next section, I am planning for unlimited screenshots.

So... When is it ready?!
I don't know. I am working more on this now than ever, but it's hard to tell. I would guess that it is ready in 2014. I am cutting some corners. I will re-use the current chat until I get a time to rewrite it, so the only big thing I need to make is the resource sections. Then there's the BBcodes, but that's actually it.

To make everything clear. All of what I have shown you is subject to change. I cannot promise that it will look like what I have shown you today, but it will look similar. There are still many corners of the design that have not been touched, for example the text editor buttons, the weird padding/margin here and there and the pastebin UI. We still need to iterate on this and improve it. While that is said, don't hesitate to tell us your opinion. It's alright. If there's something you don't like, perhaps I can assure you that it is an area we have not touched on yet, if not, perhaps we have to improve it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2013-11-28 16.55.52.png
    Screenshot 2013-11-28 16.55.52.png
    442.9 KB · Views: 136,987
  • Screenshot 2013-11-28 16.56.22.png
    Screenshot 2013-11-28 16.56.22.png
    261.6 KB · Views: 130,358
  • Screenshot 2013-11-28 16.56.39.png
    Screenshot 2013-11-28 16.56.39.png
    277 KB · Views: 132,137
  • Screenshot 2013-11-28 17.19.06.png
    Screenshot 2013-11-28 17.19.06.png
    818.8 KB · Views: 138,204
  • Screenshot 2013-11-28 17.23.23.png
    Screenshot 2013-11-28 17.23.23.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 124,357
  • 131013d1385821116-hive-2-news-banner.png
    131013d1385821116-hive-2-news-banner.png
    224.9 KB · Views: 165,481
  • headers.png
    headers.png
    337.7 KB · Views: 120,984
  • wc3_threads.png
    wc3_threads.png
    255 KB · Views: 112,311
  • profile_popup.jpg
    profile_popup.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 107,705
  • view_model.png
    view_model.png
    281.1 KB · Views: 106,149
  • list_model.png
    list_model.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 100,407
  • diablo_threads.png
    diablo_threads.png
    716.1 KB · Views: 104,601
Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I think that XenForo's own resource system is a deal breaker. I really want to get away from having a resource linked to a thread just like the current Hive. It gives so many weird situations. If the thread is deleted, the resource cannot be shown. If the thread is moved to a different forum, it is detached from the resource. In XenForo they have the "Discuss this resource" which redirects you to a thread. But what if it is deleted? I really don't want to have another resource to thread linking. I would rather use their API to allow posts to be connected to resources. The same with likes, reports, attachments, search and so on.
This thread is actually going to be posted on Hive news when Archian and I are ready.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
Very, very pleased with what you show us today, Ralle. It surely looks and sounds better. Many annoying limitations of the current forum system will be gotten (get/got?!, grammar nazis, help) rid of.

Do you consider making a suggestions thread for Hive 2 where people can throw all of their ideas? Or should we do it here?

Good luck and as a member that spent every day for the last 4 years here, I can't wait for this.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

wc3_threads.png was my favorite picture :) The hive text below avatar would really add more value to staff posts.

http://xenforo.com/community/help/trophies
This kind of system would really be beautiful. Could it be possible to implement something like this?
50,000 messages: shouldn't you spend time with your family?
Seriously, you're spending too much time here. Not that we're complaining. Just sayin'.
Ahaha :D we need a special badge for the first to gain this one :D

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
It does help, indeed. I think it can further be improved if Ralle wants to. Like adding a custom color (and font?) to staff posts by default (no bb codes).

Kinda like Blizzard does in their forums. :)
Well. To be honest, I don't think posts by staff members should be too different from user posts. We are all users after all. Anyway, this is a minor detail technically at least.

Level 18
wc3_threads.png was my favorite picture :) The hive text below avatar would really add more value to staff posts.

This kind of system would really be beautiful. Could it be possible to implement something like this?

DSG will win this easy xD

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Well, I'd like to be a liiiitle more impressed, but I'm not totally disappointed either! Since you say the UI is in its early stages, I'll wait to see more.

Right now, the artwork looks really lacking and I really don't like what the forum icons turned into. The missing forum descriptions make it look quite more plain, too.

Is the forum width restricted to a number of pixels, too? A great looking background image would be nice. For example, in the last picture from the hidden box, with the Diablo skin, there's a background image at the top, then there's this sort of wall. Under it, you could place a great looking background image for much joy =)

(...)
It does help, indeed. I think it can further be improved if Ralle wants to. Like adding a custom color (and font?) to staff posts by default (no bb codes).

Kinda like Blizzard does in their forums. :)
We had this at one point during 2008 or so. Moderator nicknames were colored according to the sector (area of wc3 modding) they were part of. Then a few people complained and staff nicknames lost their color, the only difference from other users was the bold. Then, eventually, all nicknames turned bold. I was never against colored nicknames and I liked the pattern on the coloring, but I'm not opposed to have all nicknames look alike, either — they're just nicknames, no need to make philosophy out of them.

(...)

I suggested achievements once, not for things like «make 1k posts», but more like «have a director's cut resource». However, I remember the reception to that suggestion was quite poor.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
I suggested achievements once, not for things like «make 1k posts», but more like «have a director's cut resource». However, I remember the reception to that suggestion was quite poor.

I like your idea a lot! I talked about something similar to Ralle not so long ago. Great accomplishments should be appropriately rewarded and achievements/awards/banners/etc.. can work very well.

Level 36
Right now, the artwork looks really lacking and I really don't like what the forum icons turned into.

Can't say I agree to that, and really? You're going to moan about the forum icons...? >.>
- They're icons, you'll get used to them.

A great looking background image would be nice. For example, in the last picture from the hidden box, with the Diablo skin, there's a background image at the top, then there's this sort of wall. Under it, you could place a great looking background image for much joy =)

I don't agree to this either, better keep it clean for our eyes to better focus on the writings of other users than to be distracted by background images.

On a personal note, I'm not too overly fond of keeping the "night elf" theme, while it's nostalgic, sure, I still like the alternated version in the "hidden" tags, simpler and cleaner yet new and fresh.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I like your idea a lot! I talked about something similar to Ralle not so long ago. Great accomplishments should be appropriately rewarded and achievements/awards/banners/etc.. can work very well.
Uh, we have awards? If you don't want minor awards to clutter up the space below the user info, you could just set it so it only appears in your award showcase on your profile page like you do runner-up contest awards. It would be the exact same system.

Also I don't like the Like/Dislike system. Never did. The rep system takes care of that job anyways, and is better at it to boot.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I don't agree to this either, better keep it clean for our eyes to better focus on the writings of other users than to be distracted by background images.

Background would look cool on bigger resolution though. Or do you guys really consider keeping the no max width style? I hope not :(

Here's HTML to mimic the background appearance. Right click the here link and save as .htm file. Then open with Chrome (if you use chrome). Now try to resize the window to tiny size. The grey background disappears.

Red content will modify to the width, while background would disappear.

Now, wouldn't background image fit nicely there when going to larger resolutions?

Edit:
Don't worry. As I said we can easily modify XenForo to have reputation.
And we would go back to the mass look? Lots of forums have the reputation system. EXP system with levels would be kewl and unique, also something new. Also, it would fit the warcraft 3 theme fantastically.

Level 22

122581-albums6790-picture76610.png

Yeah, I agree with jondrean too. The EXP rep thing would be awesome
I just hope it would only show numbers when on low graphics style. :D

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

SEO Built-in
With XenForo there is no need to pay more for your search engine optimization needs. Human-readable URLs, semantic HTML with embedded microdata, and many more SEO features are present in the very core of the system.
What does this mean for future hive?

Roland

R

Roland

puke-rainbows-rage-face-i3.png

I had to remove the Hidden tag. I'm really happy and I CAN'T WAIT! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
Looks awesome!

Good work Ralle and you too Archian!
I haven't been all that active over the last 10 months or so but I've kept up to date with THW news and this is by far the best thing that could happen to us! It looks great and you've done an amazing job! Can't wait for it to come alive haha, maybe it might force me to be active more often XD
Keep it up!

Furiion out

Status
Not open for further replies.