1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The member Kam is making HIVE coasters. Take a look. For every coaster you buy, Hive gets $1.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it. Join (Optionally) Paired Techtree Contest #11 - Techno Magic now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Hero Contest #8 is up and running! This time it's a joint contest between artists and coders. Go here for team matchmaking.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The ninth Concept Art Contest has launched. Enter now!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our first StarCraft contest, The Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders has started. Enter to show off your Galaxy Editor skills and win a custom rank icon among other things.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Ever wanted to get your sets ready for fast texturing while still having fun? Now it is possible with our newest Mini-Texturing Contest.
    The Skeleton Units need your dire help!
    Dismiss Notice

"Hide" Ability - Retain Cooldown

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by defskull, Apr 29, 2013.

1. defskull

defskull
    Now I know you can hide an ability from the unit's UI by using Player - Enable/Disable Ability function BUT, when we use this, this function will apply to all units of that Player, which is not what I wanted.

I wanted to hide the ability (and still retain its cooldown) for a single unit.

Now I heard you can hide a Channel ability by setting its level to max+1 which will hide the ability.

This of course, can affect single unit but the problem is, the cooldown is not retained.

How can I hide a unit's ability while retaining its cooldown ?

2. Maker

Maker
    The cooldown is retained with the Channel trick. Make the last level hidden.

3. defskull

defskull
    If I make it that way, won't last level can still be leveled by the unit ?
    Therefore, losing Skill Point ?

4. WaterKnight

WaterKnight
    No. The hero skill menu allows you only to learn the next level of the ability. If you set the current one to the last, nothing follows after that.

For non-channel-based spells look at my signature.

5. Maker

Maker
    Learning an ability event can be caught with triggers. The level can be decremented and the skill point can be given back if you need that.

6. defskull

defskull
    Sorry for late reply.

But won't this look "ridiculous" to end user to see "Hey, I can still level up this ability, let's see what it does", BOOM !
    Nothing happens and you have an extra 1 Skill Point in your Hero UI.
    It would defeat the "background process" purpose.

I'd try to stick with WaterKnight's ANeg solution.

7. pOke

pOke
    WaterKnights trick is very useful, however could you possibly just use a dummy spell based on channel with visible off to level up your ability? When dummy ability is leveled up, if level is less than 1, add real, otherwise skill up. And then just set the ability to max+1 TO hide real ability? That way you would never see it in the skill tree?

8. defskull

defskull
    As I have explained this situation in my previous post.

The levelling of the spell would be messed up.
    Also, the damage of the spell will also be messed up if the spell uses current level of the ability's level as point of reference such as damage, aoe, duration, etc.

Let me try to rephrase your statement.

You mean if your spell has 4 levels, you should make it as 5 levels, as last level would be the hidden visibility, right ?
    So, if you have levelled up that ability up until Level 4, and you have 1 more Skill Point to use, when you open the Level Up Ability window, you will see that it has extra level - thus ruining the process.

9. pOke

pOke
    Oh my mistake, I was under the impression that if Channel had visibility off at a certain level you wouldn't be able to see it for that level in the skillup menu.

10. defskull

defskull
    Its visibility takes effect in unit's basic command card, but not in Skill Ability Window.