• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Hero Siege RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Nice terrain and animation to the spells, but the pacing is fast, and sometimes I didn't know what I was supposed to do. Maybe add some time between waves, to buy recipes and sell useless items.

Level 12
i would like to play it too, is there a link to download this or a bot hosting this?
Hai! Glad to hear it. There is a link to download the latest version on the first page, but for maximum fun, i recommend you use makemehost.com, i always upload the most recent versions there and you will need to play with 5 people to really have a chance of winning.

Nice terrain and animation to the spells, but the pacing is fast, and sometimes I didn't know what I was supposed to do. Maybe add some time between waves, to buy recipes and sell useless items.
Thanks for the feedback :D. I will look into this. May i ask with how many players were you playing it? Sometimes with more players the waves get cleared faster and as a result you get more down time between waves.

I hope to see you folks on Bnet next time its being hosted :D

Level 6
I played solo actually.
Another cool idea (and not a very new one) is having the advanced items have some active abilities.
The mini-games didn't have any instructions by the way, so when I played the ballista one, I thought I had to shoot all 3 targets at the same time. :p

Level 6
It was Arthas. And I lost at the Kalimdor invasion.. couldn't protect the main building. This map has good potential.

Level 12
Hai, many people have been hosting, so i decided to release a new version WOOOO. Also removed the ALPHA tag, since this game has almost 3 hours of content!

Here are some changes in 0.24!

Arthas
Devotion Aura
-Devotion Aura changed to Retribution Aura
-Added new aura model
-Retribution Aura now grants 2 strength per level

Sylvanas

-Base damage increased

Shockwave
-Shockwave changed to virtuous arrow
-Missile size decreased
-Damage increased
-Mana cost reduced

Orb of annihilation
-New icon

Grom
Omnilash
-Omnilash changed to Reign of Chaos

Illidan
Immolation
-New icon

Vampiric Aura
-New icon

Malfurion
Brilliance Aura
-New icon

Dungeons
-Various stat changes
-New bosses
-New secrets

Level 1
i realy like the game, i like how long it is, i like the secrets, the events, the role-playing, and i most like the diffuclt of the game. i hosted this play like 100 times and i havnt finish it yet. realy fun and challenging game.

Level 12
@AwesomeGuy
Hai man, really appreaciate you hosting my map, ive seen its been hosted over 200+ times just this week on makemehost.com! I'm sure a lot of that is thanks to you. I will consider adding you to the special list that will allow you to get a special item when you start off the game. Good luck on beating it though, it will be hard :p

Level 1
Excellent map man! i always enjoy playing it, beaten it on all 5 characters now :D been loads of fun. Glad you finally made a dungeon crawler that i can play that all my b.net friends enjoy! appreciate your contribution to the community, need any help just ask, fellow map creator here as well! Awesomeguy and i host it quite a bit if you've seen :p

Level 12
@kiler2521
Thanks so much for your kind words man! Are you saying you ACTUALLY BEAT THIS GAME 5 TIMES? I have only beaten it once lol. I am very impressed. I have been holding off on adding another dungeon because I thought no one would ever make it to the current end game. I guess i will have to get to work now.

Nice to have praise from a fellow map maker! What maps have you made?

Level 1
@kiler2521
Thanks so much for your kind words man! Are you saying you ACTUALLY BEAT THIS GAME 5 TIMES? I have only beaten it once lol. I am very impressed. I have been holding off on adding another dungeon because I thought no one would ever make it to the current end game. I guess i will have to get to work now.

Nice to have praise from a fellow map maker! What maps have you made?
well i have heavily edited MCFC, made a few small DBZ maps and also one of the major creators of WoW Risk mostly the later versions cata+ and outland risk as well

Level 1
i have never beaten it tho, i got realy far but i never manage to finish it. i have just finished a game and i already see new versin(0.25). can we get changelog?

also killer i believe i hosted this more than you did, even tho you are better than me.

Also Lots of thanks for the map contributor item! im very happy for that. gonna double host it just to try it more :D

Last edited:
Level 2
I got one thing to say. Or two, or three. I don't know. First is, the dialog that happens, always double posts. Or almost always. It's a bit annoying. Also, I like the game. And, I read about you not being the best coder, I can't say much myself either. Neither do I have a background to wc3 players. But, if you want. I could give it a shot in rewiring the whole thing overtime? Try to make it as simple to understand and the least complex that I know of. Just an offer, you don't have to pick it up if you don't want to.

Either way, great map! I would like to make one just as great sometime.

Level 12
I'm really happy to see all these new faces who are enjoying my map. It would seem most of you have made a Hive account just to post here and that really warms my heart :).

@kiler2521
That seems pretty impressive if i ever need you i'll be sure to tell you :). For now though i should be fine.

@NailBigGreen
Hai man thanks so much for your feedback!
What do you mean about the dialog double posting, this isn't something I have noticed. If you could elaborate i would be happy to fix it right away. I'm alright with the coding for now, its setup in a way that i understand what's going on, but if i need you I will certainly message you.

@AwesomeGuy
Glad to hear you are still enjoying the game. I'm happy you like your contributor's item. I don't have a definite changelog, because I don't document my changes as I do them, but if you are really interested I will make a Changelog for the next version.

Level 2
@Eat_Bacon_Daily
What I mean is, basically this: Each time a dialog box is opened. It will copy itself, with no coloration or actual text saying *name of character: *name of character* as an example "Sylvanas: Sylvanas" with the first sylvanas being yellow and second being white. I hope this clarifies it better. Also, just hit me up whenever you need me.

Level 1
@Eat_Bacon_Daily
True, i did made an account just to post here :D
second i just played the map again and purple cant resurrect all at once with evovled malf only 1 by 1. at least not in the satyr boss (which i never beat).
And i would like to if you make a Changelog for the next version.

Level 1
It seems this will be my first forum post. Well done on the map i am loving it to shreds playing with kiler and awesome a lot and you on an occasion :p.
Just a few things i do not balance games nor do i create them but i would love if my boy illidan would get a small buff to help him through the grom/malf evo's all i do is play illidan to see that EVO but nothing yet can not get that far ;.;. Just maybe a few tweaks on Immolation to change it or Unleashed rage also empowers his Hatred only my thought's on the matter great map and good community!
First forum post on hive and in general sorry if it is cringe worthy

Level 30
Lady calling in :razz:

Alright, all the suggestions from countless sessions complied :)
Some are mine, some are from players of the map. Take them as they are, suggestions.
List goes in no particular order whatsoever, it just goes :razz:

- Shared Bounty
This requires some thinking of how useful would it actually be. It is notable that once certain heroes start to fall off due to not getting enough last hits, whole party tends to suffer. Since sending gold to allies isn't disabled in the game, perhaps full bounty could take effect, otherwise, 50% to last hitter and 50% to remaining of the party could function just as well.
- More Heroes
If you want to keep the main team composition of two carries, two tanks and a support, you can add more heroes that can be selected using the this OR that system. For an example, you could pick Jaina (offensive support) or Furion (defensive support), but never both in the same game. This allows for more characters to be introduced while keeping the same team composition - but with that extra bit of versatility which in the end, gives a lot to replayability. Some other suggestions people did, along with what you could pick using the "... or ...", are as follow: Maiev/Illidan, Tyrande/Sylvanas, Jaina/Furion, Thrall/Grom, Naisha/Illidan, ... Each char could remain of the same role, but add something different to the table, such as Maiev could instead be an AoE control carry, Tyrande could be a utility/buffer carry, while Jaina could bring a bit more offensive and disabling power, but still retain healing role.
Some more possible characters found out by players during recent sessions:
Muradin Bronzebeard, Naisha, Shandris Feathermoon, Kaelthas, Lady Vashj.
If you ever plan to make more chars, you can add a tavern for each of possible variations, so five taverns in total. Selecting a hero from a tavern destroys the tavern, making it clear it's only one hero per class/role.
- About Furion
I've personally always leveled Heal, then mana regeneration aura (in that importance), often keeping Overgrowth at level 1 just for the first dungeon. After I found out how much little mana regeneration he grants, I've picked active skills instead, and I've noticed a few things. His skills need a bit of rebalancing in order to be truly effective and provide an option as to which build would you go for. Essence Aura should grant additional mana regeneration to Furion only (such as 0.5 per level for allies, twice the bonus for Furion) to allow it to scale properly, while Overgrowth could use a little revamp to make it more effective - and this mainly concerns the lowest possible movement speed you have set in gameplay constants. Most of the times, the 70% slow usually gets cut to about 50% due to minimum possible achievable movement speed is too high for it to take full effect.
- Lumber / Time
Since you don't use lumber in your map, perhaps you could add gameplay duration counter in place of that and food. However, this will mean removal of "Dead" message with upkeep you've made.
An alternative is adding that to a multiboard, which is also next suggestion.
- Multiboard instead of Leaderboard
Allows for much more flexibility, such as adding player names, icon of their hero, their level, level of their skills, items, kills, evolution order, game duration, ... you name it. Transforming to a multiboard allows for more game info to be displayed at once.
- Evolution items
Later on in the game, evolution items are merely just a blocker in inventory. Instead of adding them, let players see themselves what has changed, since abilities generally retain the same old concept, but a bit spiced up.
- Colisions and their circles
I've found it hard to calculate visually how much HP my party has due to small colision circles. Increasing them to about 1.5 will enlarge the hit points bar by just about enough to be able to visualize it more without looking down on the UI.
- Custom Models
After looking at your map, I've realized your char evolutions take a ton of map space, literally the most space percentage of everything else. Perhaps switching to some more "standard" wc3 models and skins for evolutions and instead adding new spell effects and more custom models and skins for everything else could prove worthy to increase overall aesthetical rating. If you lack some, you can always request a model or skin - this map has a lot on popularity swings so it's possible that people will be attracted to it.
- Add a Patreon
Collect some donations from fellow players to motivate you to work more and harder on the map. This is purely optional, but it could sky rocket your motivation.
- Cheese model
It's really hard to click, sometimes resulting in dying and frustration. Add locust to circle of power beneath it, and/or change the model for a low-budget 10 kb cheese model on the hive.
-Maze game
It should be shortened just a tiny bit, but not too much. 2 cells should be enough to still make it challenging, but not frustrating.
-Wisp game
Hardest for newbies or if you don't have much mazing experience in general. Could be easier once you've failed it few times to scale it to people who can't complete it (such as removing few units from game once the game is failed 5 times).
-Random wisps
Before you get to cenarius, in the minigames area, there are few random wisps that are harvesting lumber. They can be killed for standard wc3 XP and gold. You can either make them a bit more rewarding to introduce them as an actual secret reward system, or add locust to them to make them untargetable.
-Mana Rune
It costs a lot for not providing much, making it a very situational, last-resort type of rune which is ever so rarely used. Perhaps cutting the cost just a small bit and/or making it leave a % MP regen ward for a very short duration (less than HP ward) could make it scale better.
-Ward in general
...should have locust on them, flying movement and removed colision to prevent flooding of screen with UI selectables which isn't used in any way.
-Breadstick secret item
While I do get that it's a joke, why not to make it an effective one as well? Maybe reducing HP malus and making it % damage instead of a flat 100 bonus can turn it into a versatile and useful item.
-Cinematical Evos
People generally don't even get to see 'em. Turning them into a short 10 seconds cinematic could make it more RPG-ish and give a visual boost to the map.
-Colorpicker
Christopher Hauck - Colorpicker
It may save your life. Some of your tooltips use too dark colors that are barely visible ingame. This little program which I use for *years* is super useful to both preview and execute colors at once.
-Bug at Xarvus with Spirit Release
Tested twice, it doesn't work. Check the replay for more info. Individual revives do work, but mass revive doesn't.
-Bug with Arthas' ultimate
It glitched, also in same game, and stayed for pretty much entire game. Could use some checking on triggers.

More to come since I most likely forgot a lot :grin:

@NailBigGreen, @AwesomeGuy, @illidan557
Welcome guys :)

Edit: Forgot to attach replay.

Attachments

• HeroSiegeRPG.w3g
    648.4 KB · Views: 70
Level 1
On topic of the hero roles i would love to see Illidan/Akama/Kael since illidan's role of melee carry is hard if you try and build a mixture of things to balance out not getting one shot by a boss or waiting on Mana for Unleash rage
Akama would start out as a regular Draenei turning into his broken form on EVO similarly Kael would start normally and go into either demonic form from his pact with Ki'J
Abilites would be worked out Kael would be a high cast nuker focusing on hard offence and bad repercussion. Akama Melee carry would be a Taunter/Thorns before evo and after evo Wind walk with high damage and some kind of backstab (Rip poor illidan) once again the cringe in my post hopefully wont be to high

Level 30
Nothing wrong with cringe :D

I did forgot to mention Uther too, for Arthas replacement, which we've brainstormed in that last game.

I'd see Akama as a single unit slayer, who can dish out a lot of damage to a single target, but lacks from AoE control or direct debuffs. How do you see it as?

Level 12
@AwesomeGuy
Yeah Aphe just found the cause of the bug and it will be fixed as soon as possible.
I will also try and have a changelog for the next version, since you seem interested and others have asked for it as well.

@illidan557
Yeah, as you can see by my profile picture i too love Illidan. I am aware of his weakness later on in the game. I suppose i can give him a little power spike in the time between his aquisition of Unleashed Rage and his evolution.

@Apheraz Lucent
Hahahaha, first off thanks a buttload for your suggestions.

Shared Bounty
I have thought before about shared bounty, but the way the game is built now, it would require a major overhaul of items costs and gold gained. I feel the current bounty is not so bad, not perfect though. Illidan starts off with tons of kill gold then falls off, Arthas and Grom always seem to get a study amount throughout the game, Sylvanas gets major kill/gold spikes when she evolves and when she aquires her extra ability from Mannoroth and Malf gets a somewhat continuous stream from his (D) spell. Though I know it is not yet ideal.

Your 50% gold split idea is very interesting, but I have never seen a game with that concept, so I'm not sure how drastically it would change the game. It would require a ton of tests, but I am certainly open to it!

More Heroes
I wish i could just magically fix all the triggers to make the addition of more heroes a possibility right now, but I really can't. I started this map around 4 years ago and I had no idea how triggers worked, and even now I'm not that much better. I still certainly planning on adding more heroes, likely using the "... or ..." system that you mentioned. Just reading those suggestions gets me excited to do it! I'd love to play Maiev Jaina, ect.. And having thsoe slight role shifts also seems really cool. People could customize their groups and fill role gaps. But the adding of new heroes is still going to be a while away unless a get major help!

Lumber/Time
Hehehehe, I do enjoy that giant DEAD message though. I totally forgot about the scoreboard! The current one is the result of watching some random 2 minute youtube tutorial with shitty background music! Unfortunatly i don't know much about scoreboards, I'd need to learn a bunch of scoreboard triggering before I could actually accomplish adding a timer to it. I will certainly look into it though and see if I am capable of it. Otherwise i will probably ask for help. It's a great idea though!

Evolution Items
I have removed all evolution items except for Frotmourne, though it does get removed once Arthas gets Glyph of Madness. I'm not sure why I haven't removed Frostmourne, yet I have removed all the other items. Maybe because it's so iconic. I was thinking of keeping it in Arthas's inventory, but allowing the player to imbue it with magical properties using orbs of something. I'm still not sure what to do with. Maybe I will just completely remove it.

Colisions and their circles
I will certainly fix that by the next version :D

Custom Models
There are some models that I have been meaning to change, but i'm still hoping for patch 1.27b to add higher wc3 map sizes. I only have two WoW rips though in the map, which is certainly on my list of replacements as soon as a find a valid replacement. I have tried asking for models in the request section, but no one ever replied to me :'(.

Add Patreon
I still think this is very optimistic. Doubt anyone would spend money to support this map. I've seen Gaia's Retaliation, a far more popular map, have a patreon and it didn't really get more than 2-3 supporters. I don't need additional motivation, you kind words and support are enough :).

Cheese Model
I will certainly change this in the next version :)

Wisp Game
I use to be in a big mazing clan, so I made a maze based on the difficulty we use to play. I keep nerfing that game though, I will look into making it easier, your suggestion seems pretty good.

Random Wisps
Yeah, i'm not sure what to do with those wisps, I just added them when I was bored one afternoon. Maybe I will use them to unlock a secret room or something, but for now i'm not too sure

Mana Rune
Yeah, ive been meaning to look into that and the whole priest in general. I like the % mp regen idea though

Ward in General
They are flying, but I will certainly add locust, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that already lol.

Breadsticks secret item
Yeah I like the idea of making it a more interesting item. Maybe something that is pretty hard too pull off, as opposed to just a straight up good item. It will require a lot of tweaking a testing though, because I don't want it just to be another descent item.

Cinematic Evos
I will look into this, but it might be very difficult to make it functional considering the way the game is built. Especially if the evolving player waits before activating the evolution trigger, because then the whole party has to wait for one guy, before they can continue onwards.

Colorpicker
I dont have stable internet right now, but I will check it out once I do

Now that you helped me fidn the cause of the bugs I finally hope to have them fixed by the next version :)

Level 1
@Bacon
Here is the replay of Waimea and AwesomeGuy finishing v24 Hero Siege RPG
All the best
waimea

Attachments

• Best of RPG.w3g
    599.6 KB · Views: 83
Level 12
@waimea
Thanks for the replay! I saw a bunch of bugs I need to fix :)
And good job on beating that ver guys, though it was only v24 :p. Whyd you guys host v24, after I released v25 though?

@AwesomeGuy
I'm going to fix it in v26. Aphe found the cause of the bug :(

@Directive255
Hai man, welcome to the community! Where you playing on makemehost.com? Because usually hosting there yields a full house in around 2-3 mins.
I know single player is hard, but balancing it is not my priority right now :(. But what did you think of what you managed to play so far?
And by the way thanks a lot for your feedback :)
BTW, tell me if you ever wanna play, we can play together :)

Last edited:
Level 1
@Bacon,
We played v24, because of the malfunction of mass revive. It doesnt work somehow. Knowing that, we played v24 to fully be able to revive at later stages.
Cheers mate

@Eat_Bacon_Daily
Thanks for the welcome :)
Which server you at? I read through the posts and saw something like "US East", is this where you guys normally play in? Or maybe I'm too impatient, or maybe there's too many bots... or people were sleeping.

Are all hostbots cross-server? If so, I shall search for the game name and join.
SIngleplayer can wait, tho I will miss it

About the game, this is my opinion so far (as I played it singleplayer, so most of my feedback will be about singleplayer):
  • No backpack helper in Singleplayer :(. Without other players, my inventory gets empty real quick and I was forced to drop some items to carry another. Sometimes I need to drop five of my items for a recipe item, then the waves came.
  • The waves are too difficult for Singleplayer, dunno about multiplayer
  • Meanwhile the first few bosses are easy bacons :) Even in singleplayer
  • Quite challenging, requires teamwork, which is good. But I played it in singleplayer, no other people to cooperate with, so I lost :p
  • More heroes for each class? Like Apheraz Lucent said?
  • No ingame Quests :(

P.S. apparently I hosted the game and yes, people joined but they all left lol
only a few people interested in this good map, what a waste...

Last edited:
Level 12
@waimea
Hai, I am aware of the mass revive bug and it is going to be fixed in the next version
Also, unfortunately the bug exists in both v24 and v25
Thanks for the heads up though :)

@Directive255
I usually play in Europe server (Northrend), but sometimes in USeast also, but don't worry because bots from makemehost.com host on all servers.
Thanks for your feedback, I will look into the game difficulty. Also trying to get new hero classes out :)
I will also consider adding a Quest log, but I am usually afraid no one reads it.

Be patient and people will join if you host on makemehost.com
Thank you for your kind words, I hope to play with you soon

Short reply, on cellphone

I see. So all we had to do was follow the damn train wait for full house then? (Sorry for the GTA reference lol)

Wow, I am hyped for the new heroes, yay! :D

But it will be worse if others downloading your map didn't go to the Hive and don't know what to do...

Sometimes it would be nice, especially during online games, to have a Quest Log for players' convenience.

Good luck, and hope to play with you someday! (Will post on your profile later)

Level 1
Nothing wrong with cringe :D

I did forgot to mention Uther too, for Arthas replacement, which we've brainstormed in that last game.

I'd see Akama as a single unit slayer, who can dish out a lot of damage to a single target, but lacks from AoE control or direct debuffs. How do you see it as?
Akama would be a single target destroyer along with some disruption or small debuffer?

Level 30
It causes more trouble than good.

Sadly, this could be a potential break-down if enough of variations pop out - not much users know of THW and are unaware of which one's the original. You can't ask them to take it down since you left your map open-source - but you could try to regain the "original version" popularity.

Level 2
The best way to protect a map, is to make the real version better than the fake ones!

(This is an edit of a quote "The best way to fight piracy, is to offer better service than that of the pirates")

Level 12
@Apheraz Lucent
Hehehe, you are probably right. I will protect it from now on. But I honestly never thought it would ever become popular or liked enough to be worth stealing lol. Plus I learned a lot from map-making by looking through other people's projects that were unprotected so I was kinda hoping to give others the same opportunity. It saddens me that I cannot offer the same to anyone willing to learn. But after like a 10 minute search I found at least 3 hacked versions of my map, so I guess I have no choice :(.

P.S do you understand what they are talking about in the video, I am kinda curious. I think they just don't understand english and have no idea what they are doing.

@NailBigGreen
Well I do hope I am giving a better product since I made the original :). Btw nice to hear from you.

Level 2
Hahaha, it's not completed yet, I'm looking if its possible to reformat the map making it possible to add more heroes and it will be a monumental task (no promises that it will actually succeed), so it is going to take longer than usual :)

Well, from what I see in the current version v24 (through all those location leaks at least.) is that it is highly possible that you can. Although, I haven't gone through it all as of yet. Also... some triggers of which I see that you probably think can be a problem is... The tomes, you'd probably not want to make a whole net. So I'd recommend making a variable to store the tomes instead of adding it directly.

Err, yeah. A str, agi and int array of 5 that activates whenever a person picks up a tome, stores it. Then whenever they have an evolution you do an if to see if they're red, blue, etc. And add the stats. And instead of adding a level each level, I'd recommend making it so that whenever they are able to be seen, then they get the level that the one who is going to evolve into it has at that moment. Of course, remove the integer for the stats once they're finished.

Before you read the thing below, which editor do you use? If you use jassnewgen or something else that is similar and has the same functions. Then the things will most likely work.

For the sequence (this is for the tavern randomized one.) You could make it in many ways. One of which is a pain to actually make, the others not so much. What I would do is check who they are and then edit the triggers randomly or chosen by color to where they should be... Basically, add event to *Hero move to evolution chamber trigger* and to the trigger that activates the chamber or if its automatic do *add action to trigger* and make it activate the evolution chamber trigger. Also, the hero array, you could just do a for loop from 1 to 5 that does a unit group pick from every unit in the entire map, do a multiple one. Then you do a if owned of unit is equal to playerindex(integer A) which means if its 1 then it'll be red's hero. Then afterwards you add that unit (And if multiple units will exist, then just make a condition to check if its a hero or not) to hero in the integer A index, after that you add the unit to heroes. I hope you understand this gibberish. It's hard to explain without pictures, and I'm not one for pictures.

Just some things I noticed while looking a little at the map's triggers. Probably some more examples you'd have problems with as well. Also, I ain't the best triggerer. There might be way better solutions than mine out there, but I'm just thinking out of the top of my head whilst generally tired from the day.

Edit: Just to highlight some things that is, not to say you're bad at triggering or anything of that sort. Sorry if it came off that way or something. I don't mean anything with my word choices, at least against you. Against myself? Sure.

Edit 2: I am not aware if you have changed any of these. Please, ignore my ignorance to the current state of triggers in the version you're updating :p

Edit 3: Right, I realized. You'd also have to make a temp group for every pick every unit in map. That's a thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.