• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - Poll

Who has the Khala's breath? Choose your favored contestant!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

galaxy.png

terraining.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png

WORLD WONDERS

3217271_orig.jpg

Participants are to create a map with (a) great monument/s and wonderful creations of all kind.
Whether or not the origin of said monument is human or otherwise is for the participant to decide.
The name of the contest does not imply that you have to create a "real" world wonder.

You are, of course, free to do so if you want, however.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
    Participants and Judges: 5 reputation points

entries.png

judges.png

contest%20judging.png

Creativity
Was the terrain bringing something new or was it rather simple? Uniqueness factors greatly/20

Detail
Measurement of detail in design and overall detail balance. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./10

Technique
How well thought out was the terrain and how was the approach to execution. Did it bring new elements?/20

Aesthetics
Overall composition of the terrain and a good fluidity. Does it contain rough spots and missing aspects from it?/10

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Score S = 25v/TOTv + 75( j1 + j2 )/TOTp

where v = votes entry received, TOTv = total poll vote count, j1 and j2 = score from judges, and TOTp = total judge score possible.

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

i voted for tleno ^^

good luck for the particitipants!

Level 8
I gived my vote for Tleno, it's remind me hl2\fallout i like how it's looks )

Mark Mocher got my vote. Although a dystopian view is not really a world wonder in the technical sense, it's the best looking from all four.

Thanks for the vote, now im understand, we can't see World Wonder becouse my Wonder too big for scnreenshots by game camera. But if we create custom screenshot we will see that location have on the middle own Wonder - highest buildings Ghost Tower

Level 28
I'm no authority in this (or in anything at all) but here are my impressions:

@Tleno
I enjoyed your half-life inspired tower, plus you managed to put up a nice mood. The rest of the terrain, however, suffered from being monotone and quite uninteresting to the eyes, and the horizon seemed to appear very abruptly at the end of the road (maybe a line of several long chimneys graudally fading out in the distance would lessen that a bit? Idk, just an idea). However the USSR aesthetics looked cool and were convincing for me. I also missed a little more backstory to get me into it - why would such a building be a world wonder? It is just a tall building by the picture. The poor thing doesn't even have a name!

@Murlocologist
I liked your creativity, both the idea of a tropical paradise in the middle of a snow scenery and the whole lore you came up with. However your execution looks kinda clumsy, some of the objects feel weird in the way you placed them (by that I mean position + rotation + size). Also the exaggerated size of the trees was surely intentional, however it wasn't too authentic/convincing for me as a viewer in the way you executed it. Can't wait for my vacation time to go there and experience a real Terran-like earthquake though.

@Racziel
That's a very nice design/architecture there (it overall feels like good old Nosgoth hehe) and the idea you were trying to communicate to the viewer (although cliché) was very direct and well executed. Looks very moody and atmospheric however it feels like you lacked small props for a better decoration of the place, but your camera managed to minimize the barren aspect. Just one thing, when we think about world wonders we usually consider things like monuments, not an evil portal, lol. Well that's isn't a derail from the theme though, shouldn't be a problem.

@Mark Mocher
You did a bad job with taking the screens, which is a shame because your terrain work was really nice! I like the ruined civilization theme and the placement of objects that was consistent though the whole map and not abusive. That "virtue", however, was your main flaw IMO: the recurrent and evenly placed objects through the entire thing makes the amuse factor be quickly replaced by a monotone feel. You could, for example, make the Ghost Tower more prominent by making some large concentrical plaza around it (that circle on the floor was on the right track but wasn't enough IMO, I'm talking about something more like this - see how everything draws attention to the middle? There is no other tall building competing in height or shape with the monument, plus the large plaza and the lines on the floor makes it stand out more), or any other architectural way of your liking of giving more protagonism to it. I mean, the Ghost Tower is the monument, the main attraction of the map, it is a pity it looks like it just happened in the middle of everything ):

-------------------

So this is why I voted for Tleno. Although it doesn't depict an intense breath-taking scene I found his entry with the most imposing and majestic building inside its universe, plus it has a tasty dark metropolis mood/atmosphere and a nice overall execution.

Level 14
dang I forgot to vote. Sry guys. It was hard to vote, because they all do not really fit to the theme, some more than others... so I guess good luck to all of you :) These pictures look really good, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.