• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Forest Troll Packrunner

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
I noticed a lack of melee troll units and figured I'd make one. Enjoy!

Keywords:
troll, warrior, packrunner, wolf, forest troll.
Contents

Forest Troll Packrunner (Model)

Forest Troll Packrunner (Model)

Reviews
18:18, 4th Feb 2010 DonDustin: this model is too simple right now, as it's only a bunch of simple geoset merges. Please do more "free work" to it

M

18:18, 4th Feb 2010
DonDustin: this model is too simple right now, as it's only a bunch of simple geoset merges.

Please do more "free work" to it

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Works fine for me. But thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Even though I don't love Forest Trolls like I do Jungle, this is surprisingly good for how simple it is. Just the right amount of geomerging, a neat little weapon, a good (little-used) animation set... Not bad at all.

Level 2
Works fine for me. But thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Even though I don't love Forest Trolls like I do Jungle, this is surprisingly good for how simple it is. Just the right amount of geomerging, a neat little weapon, a good (little-used) animation set... Not bad at all.

Aren't you from the other thread?

Also, from the picture alone, I wouldn't call it simple. It looks like he put a lot of effort into adding those parts. Whether or not he reused a skeleton from the game is irrelevant not only because I can't use the model viewer but because most people do that either way.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Aren't you from the other thread?
Yep. But your posting unlocked the keys on my dark prison, releasing me to the rest of the forum.

Sawpog46 said:
Also, from the picture alone, I wouldn't call it simple. It looks like he put a lot of effort into adding those parts. Whether or not he reused a skeleton from the game is irrelevant not only because I can't use the model viewer but because most people do that either way.
Simple is relative. But consider that while he geomerged several parts together (technically, the pack & weapon are from the same model), he essentially didn't modify the mesh(es) much at all. Same deal for the anims; a good import but no mods.

Simple is not bad. And a lot of effort can go into simple.

Just because you cannot see it doesn't make it irrelevant. : ) But I can tell you it's the Orc Warlock anims, and they look great.

Level 2
"Yep. But your posting unlocked the keys on my dark prison, releasing me to the rest of the forum."
Spare me, o dark one.

"Simple is relative. But consider that while he geomerged several parts together (technically, the pack & weapon are from the same model), he essentially didn't modify the mesh(es) much at all. Same deal for the anims; a good import but no mods.
"Simple is not bad. And a lot of effort can go into simple."
I understand. I suppose the way you put it didn't come out like you were calling his skin "simple" in an insulting matter, but a lot of the people on this site tend to be rude in their reviews of models.

"Just because you cannot see it doesn't make it irrelevant. : ) But I can tell you it's the Orc Warlock anims, and they look great."
1. Irrelevant to me. 2. That actually makes me a little mad that he used an orc's body instead of a troll's body.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Spare me, o dark one.
None shall be spar-he comes, he comes

Sawpog46 said:
... but a lot of the people on this site tend to be rude in their reviews of models.
Many do. I don't.

Sawpog46 said:
1. Irrelevant to me. 2. That actually makes me a little mad that he used an orc's body instead of a troll's body.
1. Whether you can see them or not (DL & test?) it should be relevant to you what kind of animations it's uses... I imagine you would think the Archer animations of Crypt Lord animations to be a bad choice.

2. What? He has a Troll body (mesh) but just animations from (what happens to be) an Orc.

Level 2
"Many do. I don't."
I can see that. I'll have to be more active so I can add to the numbers.

"1. Whether you can see them or not (DL & test?) it should be relevant to you what kind of animations it's uses... I imagine you would think the Archer animations of Crypt Lord animations to be a bad choice."
I have no idea what that is.

"2. What? He has a Troll body (mesh) but just animations from (what happens to be) an Orc."
Oh, okay. So he doesn't look like a tall orc? Because I don't exactly favor troll skins that look like tall orcs.

Level 2
..what's going on? o_O don't let me catch you bashing on an useful model or i'll report your asses <.<

speakin' of the model, i think it should be moved to actual models, as its really a good one.

I hope that first part was a joke. In any case, you're right, this is a really good model - So the first part of your comment has no relevance whatsoever. :p
As for the second part, I have no idea what that means.

I hope that first part was a joke. In any case, you're right, this is a really good model - So the first part of your comment has no relevance whatsoever. :p
As for the second part, I have no idea what that means.
no, just confusion.. i easily get that.. anyway, cheers

and the second part was meant for mods/or reviewers, as a hint to move this thread from 'substandard' to the main model section, aka to approve it

Level 2
no, just confusion.. i easily get that.. anyway, cheers

and the second part was meant for mods/or reviewers, as a hint to move this thread from 'substandard' to the main model section, aka to approve it

Yeah, about that approve thing. Can you explain that to me? I don't really get it?

Level 2
that's how it always was.. it needs to look good, be optimized for war3, and perform well. quality and eye-candy to a degree, not trash that i seem to see around nowadays

So because a model doesn't fit up to the site's opinions, moderators call it trash and refuse to let it on? Remind me not to make models for WC3.

Haven't you seen the number of approved bullshit models this site hosts? So it is pretty obvious they let it on trash quite often.
So because a model doesn't fit up to the site's opinions, moderators call it trash and refuse to let it on? Remind me not to make models for WC3.

oh way the go you two for misinterpreting everything i said and thinking you know what's useful.. Hive workshop is even a benevolent site, comparing to insta-banning on nexus network

Level 50
you speak of the past, when moderators were really of their own opinion, even me.. now we don't have that and everything is just user opinion
And in those past days as you say, when mods gave rating, ratings made sense. Unlike today where you have craps with 5/5 rating given by some random user, disregarding quality as criteria in rating model.

And in those past days as you say, when mods gave rating, ratings made sense. Unlike today where you have craps with 5/5 rating given by some random user, disregarding quality as criteria in rating model.
I think we are going nowhere with that.. if you're really that concerned, contact the staff in staff or even admin contact

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
That's not what I meant. I mean why does a model have to qualify to certain standards to be on the site?
... Because site-space is limited & someone has to pay for it? We use this site for free, but it costs money to run the servers containing the (surely) terabytes of forum info, profile settings, maps, models, icons, etc etc etc...

They have, for the various resources, set various appropriate 'minimum standards'. It's gotta work in the game (i.e. not crash it or not disappear), it should have all the parts is supposed to (i.e. "why is this knight missing his right arm?"), it should probably have all the right animations & whatnot for it's kind (i.e. a Unit needs stand/walk/attack/etc, a doodad just needs stand)... Stuff like that.

The site's commitment to quality has shifted over time (you can see that in many of the early submitted resources), and in some situations certain moderators, exercising inappropriate authority, have rejected acceptable resources due to their own personal preferences (though there's a thread in Site Discussion working to resolve this issue right now)... But yeah.

Feel free to make Wc3 models of whatever quality you want (broken or otherwise) & host them on your own website or blog or whatever... But someone here pays for the Hive, so they

Level 35
Guys, we do not appreciate blatant slander of the site like this. If you have problems with our policy,
be that they are too strict or too lacking, please state your case in the Staff Contact forum and not as
comments on other people's resources. This comment field is reserved to comment on the resource
at hand. Thank you.

Level 2
Guys, we do not appreciate blatant slander of the site like this. If you have problems with our policy,
be that they are too strict or too lacking, please state your case in the Staff Contact forum and not as
comments on other people's resources. This comment field is reserved to comment on the resource
at hand. Thank you.

Thank you for proving my point. I won't continue this because I don't want to be banned, as much as I hate the rules I love the models here.