• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Customizing your Warcraft

Level 30

Warcraft III
How to customize it?

With the help of this tutorial, you will learn how to effectively and simply replace existing files in Warcraft databases, without having to mess up the MPQ packs. This will enable you to have your favorite resources in any map you play!

Content of tutorial:

I - Allowing Custom Files
II - Finding Resources
III - Replacing Files
IIIa - Skins
IIIb - Icons
IIIc - Models
IIId - Sounds
IV - Main Menu Background

I - Allowing Custom Files

First of all, to get this started, you will need to edit Warcraft's registry, in order to allow your files to be applied. To do this, simply follow these steps:
1. Hit the "Start" button.
2. Open the "Run" sub-program.
3. Type in "regedit" (Without punctuation) and click on "OK"
4. When the Registry Editor opens, find the Main Folder called "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", and open it.
5. Open the "Software" sub-folder.
6. Search for "Blizzard Entertainment" sub-folder, and open it.
7. Click only once on "Warcraft III" sub-folder.
8. Now, you will see a list on the right side of the screen. Find the registry that says "Allow Local Files", and open it (Double click).
9. In the field of "Value Data", replace the zero (0) with number one (1). Make sure that the "Hexadecimal" flag is checked.
10. Hit okay. The registry you edited should display this in Data category: 0.00000001 (1).

You're finished with this part of the job. If your files are not being replaced, check again if you have edited the registry correctly.

:wink: Hint: You can't replace files that are already in maps you play, and this mainly concentrates on Imported resources. Map's MPQ has higher priority than your files. Also, files you replace are only visible to you.

II - Finding Resources

I won't discuss this much, since on this site, The Hiveworkshop, you will find plenty of Models, Skins and Icons to use.
But there is one thing you should keep an eye for: some models use custom skins, and some skins are made in two or more parts. Icons do not suffer from any problems, with an exception that you can find units in most maps that use same icons for their skills, which can look weird if the themes are not same.

III - Replacing Files

This is the most important part, yet the easiest. All you will need to do is to find the resources you like, and seek the path. The easiest way to find the correct path for the resource you would like to display is to use the http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/war3-model-editor-62876/, or the harder way with http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/warcraft-iii-viewer-62878/. The process is simple now.

With Magos' Warcraft III Model Editor, just open the "Windows" and then "MPQ Browser", "File" afterwards, and select the MPQ you would like to open. "war3.mpq" contains files before the Frozen Throne, and vice verse for the "war3x.mpq".

With Warcraft III Viewer, just hit "Ctrl + F" and type first few letters of what you seek. Note that you will might have to open the right MPQ before you seek what you want. I still suggest Magos' Editor, since it's simpler, easier and a lot more functional.

Please see the example in skins so that you can understand all this better.

IIIa - Skins
I will use this skin of Jaina, by 67chrome. I opened Magos' Editor, and found the Jaina files in War3.mpq database, under "Units -> Human -> Jaina".

To successively replace Jaina's skin, enter your Warcraft III folder, which is usually found at "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III". Now create a new folder in it, called "Units". In newly created folder, create another one called "Human". Then, another one in it, called "Jaina". You see what I did there, and why I told you to use Magos' Editor? With it, the files you want to replace have the exact same path as their parent folders. If you look at your Editor, you will notice that the Jaina Resources are found under the path made of parent folders "Units\Human\Jaina". Each dash, or new folder, is one part of the path. Easy, huh?

To replace skins, just place the skin file in your main folder, which would be "Jaina" this time. You will have to rename the file to the same name which it uses in war3.mpq/war3x.mpq. I renamed my downloaded skin, the "BloodElfEnchantress" to "Jaina". The skin should be replaced now.

IIIb - Icons
Icons are the simplest one to replace. Find the icons you would like to use, and just make one new folder called "ReplaceableTextures". In it, go ahead and create two new folders, called "CommandButtons" and "CommandButtonsDisabled". Place the BTNYourIcon in the first folder, and DISBTNYourIcon in the second one. Remember to change names of the icons to what you want to replace, like "BTNJaina" and "DISBTNJaina".

IIIc - Models
Replace the models by paths. If the model uses custom textures, you should place the textures in exact folders as the models request, with same names, like "Textures\Princess_v2.blp"

IIId - Sounds
Just find the paths, and replace the sounds. Note that the sounds have to be the same format which Warcraft III uses, and that would be .wav type.

IV - Main Menu Background

So you want that awesome Night Elf Archer to watch you in the main menus, rather than old and boring Frozen Throne? It is simple as this: all you need to do is to find what you want to replace. The usual path of campaign screens, in both Regular and Expansion MPQs is: UI\Glues\SinglePlayer

Find the one you want, extract it, and replace the parent folders in your Warcraft III folder in the way I explained up there. The only thing you will need is the .mdx file. The textures can be replaced if you wish to customize the Menu even more. The path (with parent folders) should be:

UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d_exp\MainMenu3d_exp.mdx

We're done! I hope that, with the help this tutorial provided you, you will have some fun while creating your own Warcraft!

Back to the Top

Last edited:
Level 4
BattleNet music

Hey. It's a really nice tutorial and certainly using it! :goblin_good_job:

Although I'm having trouble finding BattleNet music file. It's annoying when you sit in the lobby
waiting for online game to start and there's the same old boring music in the background.

Where can I find the file or is there a file for it?

Zed

Zed

Level 7
Hey. It's a really nice tutorial and certainly using it! :goblin_good_job:

Although I'm having trouble finding BattleNet music file. It's annoying when you sit in the lobby
waiting for online game to start and there's the same old boring music in the background.

Where can I find the file or is there a file for it?
Browse through mpq files :)

Level 1
Nice tutorial! Thanks for it! I changed backgroud pic, main menu buttons, deleted lots of frames, disabled wind whistling which I hate and menu pop-up\pop-down sounds.
The last thing I need to do: disable delay between menu pop-up and pop-down. Like when you click "Local Area Network" and main menu hiding down for 1 second and LAN menu showing up for 1 second. I want to make it immediately. Any ideas how to do this?

Level 6

IIIc - Models
Replace the models by paths. If the model uses custom textures, you should place the textures in exact folders as the models request, with same names, like "Textures\Princess_v2.blp"

here i have a wow model with textures that has no path, which i figured out in magos model editor, shall i just put them in the same folder as the model ??

EDIT : Problem solved here : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...98/custom-local-model-not-showing-why-259931/

Last edited:

Deleted member 242196

D

Deleted member 242196

Hello! Thanks for this awesome guide! Can i make a custom 3D main menu background ? If yes, can anyone write a tutorial ?

Regards

Level 3
Hey, I've re-installed the game because my game has gone totally mute and I still don't know why, but since I've done so, the "Allow Local Files" option has gone missing as a registry; they end at War3XCD. I can see all my new models and textures perfectly in World Editor, but when I go in-game, they're the default textures. All textures are accounted for, etc, so I'm assuming that the missing registry must have something to do with it. Any info?

P.S. sorry for this being out of topic thing, but I've sent reports to the webmasters and no one has answered, so if any mods or someone with control can verify my account, that would be sweet; I've put in my verification code and resent alterations about 40+ times and I always get the "this URL is invalid" after I successfully enter it, and it never goes through for some reason.

Level 6
Solution 1 : Put this is notepad
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III]
"Allow Local Files"=dword:00000001
save the file as EnableLocalFiles.Reg and run it

Solution 2 : Create a DWORD value at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III and name it "Allow Local Files" then set its value to 1.

Level 3
Wow, I didn't think it would be that easy. Thank you so much :)

One more thing though, while that put my models back into the game, etc, my Warcraft ENB lighting mod is only coming up in World Editor and not in game. I'm not sure that's related at all, but I was wondering if you might know. (sorry for asking for so much, I'd make a thread with these issues correlated but I'm having site issues)

Edit: I made it work by altering the affinity level. Now if Blizzard would answer my inquiries as to why my game is mute, I can actually finish this damn mod. Thank you for all the help kamyflex, you're my new bedtime hero <333

Last edited:
Level 6
Wow, I didn't think it would be that easy. Thank you so much :)

One more thing though, while that put my models back into the game, etc, my Warcraft ENB lighting mod is only coming up in World Editor and not in game. I'm not sure that's related at all, but I was wondering if you might know. (sorry for asking for so much, I'd make a thread with these issues correlated but I'm having site issues)

Edit: I made it work by altering the affinity level. Now if Blizzard would answer my inquiries as to why my game is mute, I can actually finish this damn mod. Thank you for all the help famyflex, you're my new bedtime hero <333

lol ! i gave two defficult solution because i wasnt able to upload the reg file, you are welcome, feel free to ask, thats what the hive is for :)

What do you mean by "Warcraft ENB lightning" ??

Level 3

Attachments

• beforeandafter2.png
    beforeandafter2.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 323
Level 6
Did not know about that, thanks for the info ! will be usefull in my Mod, but i'm not gonna be able to help you until i try it.

Level 3
Mago's Model Editor thingymadgigers

Some skins with two or more names (ie: HeroTaurenCheiftain,ChaosHellscream) Are not working for some reasons while other names (ie: Captain,Jaina,Proudmoore) Are working...

Level 1
im not have success with the two names too, want switch the "HeroBladeMaster" with the grom HellScream, but i cant

i create the "units" and "textures" folder with the hellscream mdx and blp, and rename with "HeroBladeMaster" doesn't work

its is something with the model? what can i do?

Level 1
never mid, i did it the suggestion with create the "allow local files" and work, sorry

the annoying thing, is i change the grom responses too, but the blademaster have too much responses, then he say botch voices, anyway to change this?

eddit, i just repeat the same responses again with different names, and work it

Last edited: