• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Complete Translation Project for WCIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello, first of all I would like to thank you for sparing your time and reading this. I am a freelancing English-Turkish and vise versa translator. Recently I have finished my youtube project, where I uploaded a complication of in-game cut-scenes and cinematics of WCIII embedded with Turkish subtitles on to the videos. Now that is finished I would like to completely translate the game from menus, abilities, tool-tips and etc, if possible.

I have tried poking around the game files. But sadly I have made very little progress. Main issue is the font, it does not allow for Turkish characters like ş or ğ. I have found a workaround for that for now, by installing the French version of the game. But the cinematic caption font still does not allow for ş or ğ.

For example I noticed that copying an English war3.mpq file in to a French one, completely changes the game into English. So I assume all I have to change is within the .mpq file. But the issue I am facing is finding which files to edit.

Sadly I have little experience with coding and such and so far my efforts of translating any of the in-game menu texts, abilities or such have been fruitless.

I could only change the subtitles and the mission name and description of the first mission of the human campaign through the world editor. I can play the mission without problem if I execute it trough the world editor but when I try to import it back to the .mpq file and play it normally by selecting the mission through the game menu, it gives me an error saying that the map is either unavailable or corrupted.

So basically I am a little bit lost at the moment. And I need a little bit of guidance from the modding community here. I would be in dept to you for any clues you can give me or any path you could send me to or any kind of advice on what to do.

I am open to chatting about this on Skype as well ;)

Again, I thank your for your time and have a good day :)

Level 25
I'm going to be against this just for the simple thing that it was videogames that learned me english when I grew up.

So, forcing people to play their games in English will cause them to learn English eventually, a language they will have a great use for later in life.

Level 1
Thank you for your replies :)

Well, I am sorry to hear that you feel up against it but what you say is true, I too forced myself to learn more of English thanks to my interest into knowing what was going on in a game's story.

So I wasn't up to this until I got several request from those who watched my videos. I am thinking about the legal issues as well. Because the game files are already encrypted into one big file as it is and not made in a way that they are easy to edit. But I have no intention of using their assets in any way, I am only interested in localization files.

I might go for creating a new campaign through the world editor with the original campaign maps but changed subtitles. Because that's the only way I could get them to work through the game menus rather than getting an error when I try to directly inject the changed maps to the game files. So that leaves the menus, abilities, descriptions, tool tips and etc to be translated. And that is where I am having trouble at the moment.

Level 1
I have found the basic language file and translate the game. You need understand the game logic. For translate we need 3 file on the game folder (war3.mpq , war3patch.mpq and war3xlocal). Use MPQ editor and open war3xlocal.mpq . After follow this direction; UI > Framedef > globalstrings.fdf. We use this text file. The game creaters are type way to translate this file. You need know a IMPORTANT thing! You can't edit this file without extract. Firstly extract > edit > Compile. Open war3.mpq file with editor. Change globalstrings.fdf with your edited file. We had only 1 file (war3patch.mpq). For the edit this file we need a text folder. Download this from here: MEGA . Go to .MPQ editor and open war3patch.mpq. Editor ask a (listfile) folder (your downloaded file). Follow the War3patch.txt file and click ok. Go to globalstring.fdf directory and change with your edited file. After all close editor and launch Warcraft III. It's can seem hard but not

-Aldronic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.