• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cannot display this video mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
So a fun thing happened after I installed Star Wars the old republic the screen went all black with the text "Cannot display this video mode optimum resolution 1280x1024 60Hz." (This happens for the entire screen whether or not I have SWtOR going or not so pressing Alt+Enter solves nothing.)

So far I've tried to go into safe mode and try to change the display settings and I've also tried to uninstall the drivers for the graphic card restart the computer and reinstalling it however for the change to work I have to restart my computer the same problem happens again.

So do you know a way to solve this problem?

I use Nvida GeForce 550 Ti as my graphic card and I use Windows 7 if that's of any help.

Edit: I noticed I wasen't very clear on one thing I can't change the hz used by the monitor since it says "Use deafault settings". (I do not have the english version so it might not be correctly translated.)

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
So do you know a way to solve this problem?
Nvidia Control Panel -> Display -> Adjust desktop size and position
Set scaling mode to "No scaling".
Set perform scaling on to "GPU".

This will make sure the GPU always outputs a signal at your native resolution so should make sure that the display mode is always supported. The exception obviously is if the game is set to run at a very high refresh rate but I doubt that as traditionally games have always run at 30-60 Hz.

Ofcourse you can use other scaling modes but be aware that the image will blur or look distorted as it is having to up sample a lower resolution image.

Level 24
Ok so I've been trying to find out if I were just looking at the wrong things since I have the Swedish version. However I were looking at the right options the problem is that the only option I can choose for perform scaling is monitor and I've tried to find a solution with the help of google but without any success.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
This is what it should look like...
attachment.php

Attachments

• nvidiascale.jpg
    nvidiascale.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 2,753
Level 24
Yepp the only problem I can not choose the option GPU. And I also can't choose 60 hz it's stuck at 85 for some reason.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You could try defining custom resolutions to support the requirements of the game that output to your display in such a way it is fooled into support it. I did this for 2000*2000 as a test and it worked ok on my dispaly. However be warned that this could cause irreparable damage to display and/or graphic card that is not covered by warentee.

Level 24
Well thank you very much Dr Super Good your aid has been very helpful and my problem is now solved.

Level 24
Well actually the problem was caused when I tried to Alt+Tab then Star Wars made the settings standard for the monitor and removed my ability to change the options at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.