• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blue Hair Anime

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Hello everyone here's my blue hair anime icon :oops:

--------------------------

USING GIMP 2.
15192512_656654481173172_4089037891875669762_n.jpg
Previews
Contents

Blue hair anime (Icon)

Last edited by a moderator:
even though the drawing is quite good, it is too far removed from the wc3 style to be of any use. not to mention it looks stretched as well. you've definitely got talent, but remember the icon section is for map-making resources, not anime works of art :p
moving to substandard, as there is not much you can do to improve it without overhauling it completely.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Decent eyes.
Skin shading + shading (on the skin) is okay.

I would say there are two main downsides of this icon.
1. The hair.
1a. The shading is lacking
1b. The height of the hair is too high, the length of the head seems twice as much as the width.
2. The fact that the face only covers 50% of the icon space.

Level 50
Very nice anime artwork, proportions are correct, stylish enough, maybe little bit too narrow face. I'd be for approving it if it had proper shading values.
vegeta-1.jpg

Take a look at Vegeta's face and the shading implemented. It's got backlight, shadows, transition, midtones and highlight. Your image has light source from above, but your shadows areas aren't articulated enough. And shadows are the way of dealing with flatness of 2D art. See how Vegeta's face appears 3D, now imagine how flat it would appear without proper shading. You should try to do the same with your image, nose in that case would look like a pyramid with one side shaded and so on. Gimp has a dodge/burn tool you can use to make it easier but remember that you'd probably have to adjust it at 50% cos 100% would cause too much of contrast.

Very nice anime artwork, proportions are correct, stylish enough, maybe little bit too narrow face. I'd be for approving it if it had proper shading values.
vegeta-1.jpg

Take a look at Vegeta's face and the shading implemented. It's got backlight, shadows, transition, midtones and highlight. Your image has light source from above, but your shadows areas aren't articulated enough. And shadows are the way of dealing with flatness of 2D art. See how Vegeta's face appears 3D, now imagine how flat it would appear without proper shading. You should try to do the same with your image, nose in that case would look like a pyramid with one side shaded and so on. Gimp has a dodge/burn tool you can use to make it easier but remember that you'd probably have to adjust it at 50% cos 100% would cause too much of contrast.
okay, i'll change that later. :infl_thumbs_up: thanks