• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzard devs playing D&D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help me find a video interview of some Blizzard developers. I'm guessing the video is at least 5 years old... It was a while ago that I watched it. In it, the veteran developers of Warcraft, such as Chris Metzen and Sammy Didier, talk about their memories of their experiences making the games. In one part, Metzen talks about how all of them used to play Magic together as well as Dungeons & Dragons, so they've always been interested in fantasy and whatnot. The video then shows an old photo of them playing one of the games together.

Does this ring a bell to anyone else? I would like to have that photo in my next Easter eggs video on a certain part, but I can't remember where I saw the interview, and it's really hard to search for it now that there have been tons of interviews done and posted online.

I'm guessing that the interview was a more official one... possibly on the World of Warcraft Collector's Edition DVD maybe? I hope I'm not just making up a false memory. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you please point me in the right direction?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Could it possibly be related to the early development/release of Hearthstone?

Quote taken from The three lives of Blizzard Entertainment:

"Though smaller than any other team at Blizzard — it started with 15 people and grew to a mere 30 — Team 5 included a mix of long-time veterans of the company and new blood brought in specifically to help them create a type of game the developer had never done before: a card collecting game. Once more, Morhaime and Metzen point to their long nights playing Magic: The Gathering as an inspiration [emphasis added]. Morhaime calls the long-running card game "brilliantly designed.""

** update **

Found! (hopefully)
Please jump at 01:38

Last edited:
Level 12
That's what I was thinking of! Thanks a lot, pyf! Unfortunately, I'm already uploading the video now, but it doesn't really have to do with Dungeons & Dragons like I thought it did anyway. Still fun to see those old photos. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.