1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The member Kam is making HIVE coasters. Take a look. For every coaster you buy, Hive gets $1.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it. Join (Optionally) Paired Techtree Contest #11 - Techno Magic now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Hero Contest #8 is up and running! This time it's a joint contest between artists and coders. Go here for team matchmaking.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The ninth Concept Art Contest has launched. Enter now!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our first StarCraft contest, The Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders has started. Enter to show off your Galaxy Editor skills and win a custom rank icon among other things.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Ever wanted to get your sets ready for fast texturing while still having fun? Now it is possible with our newest Mini-Texturing Contest.
    The Skeleton Units need your dire help!
    Dismiss Notice

Bg/Rpg Terrain

Discussion in 'Terrain Board' started by Chudy, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Chudy

Chudy
    Roughly a year ago I started a project for a battleground like map with rpg elements
    (2 factions waging a war for control, and 4 neutral that can side with player team via
    separate questlines, each involving dungeons and boss fights), since then I haven't
    had much time to work on it, but just recently done some major terraining and could
    use an honest opinion on my terrains, and suggestions on how to and where to improve.

Cityscape

Guardian Rise.jpg
    Guardian Rise2.jpg
    Evergreen Plaza.jpg
    Marketplace.jpg
    Harbor.jpg
    Workers District.jpg
    Arsenale.jpg
    Royal District.jpg

Other

Rebelion Base Camp.jpg
    Rebelion Base Camp2.jpg
    Royal Highway (Winterhold).jpg
    Swamp.jpg
    Swamp2.jpg
    Village.jpg
    Village2.jpg

Dreadlands

Dreadlands.jpg
    Duskville.jpg
    Duskville2.jpg
    Ruined Tower.jpg

Mountains

Mountains.jpg
    Mountains2.jpg
    Glacier.jpg

Winterhold

Winterhold.jpg
    Winterhold2.jpg
    Winterhold4.jpg
    Winterhold Glacier.jpg

Ancient Dwarven City

Instance2.jpg
    Instance3.jpg
    Instance4.jpg
    Instance Fissure.jpg
    Instance Chasm.jpg

Just a question there if it's any good for an RPG map (I'd like to use it as such in the future),
    I've noticed many of them are using high quality doodads, and are quite large mine's 226x307
    in size (around 90% covered with land, of which most is walkable)There's 2 pics with Minimap for refference.

Refference.jpg

Refference2.jpg

2. Maker

Maker
    I really dig the castle, very nice. You have got some cool stuff going on there.

3. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Administrator

So here goes. Some reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy stretched textures in that ancient dwarven city. Take a closer look at these rocks and see if you can't do something about them. Now, while you're at it, weed out some disasters. For instance, you don't want those dead trees to root anywhere even remotely close to anything that holds aesthetic value. Moving down the ladder, I'm not sure how I feel about such steep cliffs. I'd cover them up with something less awkward looking. Some rough edges and impurites beyond that, but nothing really unbearable unless you want to pick it clean with binoculars and tweezer.

Now for the good parts, and don't you just love it? Tiles are smooth, effective and coherent. Patchily a bit monotonous in the snowy areas, but you saved it fucking well with those pointy peaks. I might just emphasize it while I'm at it; those snowy peaks are scrumptilicious. And squeezing out that last bit of cajolery, great job actually pulling off that cluttered city vibe without overdoing it.

You can really tell how much work you've put into this; fladdermasken approves.

4. Chudy

Chudy
    Yeah i kinda ran out of tiles when it came to snow terrains, already had a maximum of 16, as for the stretched textures - point taken, already started replacing some of the bigger doodads and I will look into those cliffs aswell, thanks for advice :).

5. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Man those terrains are awesome, especially for a playable map. They give a really nice wc3 feel to it and give off a feeling of epicness. Looks like a promising project. :)

6. Chudy

Chudy

7. gorillabull

gorillabull
    THE CASTLE ONE IS THE BEST its just too sad to see good terrain like this just being used for showcasing

8. sonofjay

sonofjay
    Hahaha firelord is getting wet on the rain. Here

Nice terrain bro.

9. Adiktuz

Adiktuz
    The terrain looks really awesome... Its something I wanna play in...

10. Chudy

Chudy
    Thanks all, wish i had more time to finish this tho :<.

11. bb5892914

bb5892914
    Very beautiful,i like it.

12. N.Knight

N.Knight
    Good job & I can see a whole lotta effort is gone in making it.
    But really dude its too much to take in at once, theres a lot of chaos in there.
    especially the cityscape, its too hodgy podgy for my taste or maybe I'm just a fucking
    claustrophobic.....

13. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen
    You also tend to overuse weather effects and darkness a little. I'd love to see some "daytime" pictures.
    Other than that it's very nice to see someone not using highress doodads these days.