1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The member Kam is making HIVE coasters. Take a look. For every coaster you buy, Hive gets $1.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it. Join (Optionally) Paired Techtree Contest #11 - Techno Magic now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Hero Contest #8 is up and running! This time it's a joint contest between artists and coders. Go here for team matchmaking.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The ninth Concept Art Contest has launched. Enter now!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our first StarCraft contest, The Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders has started. Enter to show off your Galaxy Editor skills and win a custom rank icon among other things.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Ever wanted to get your sets ready for fast texturing while still having fun? Now it is possible with our newest Mini-Texturing Contest.
    The Skeleton Units need your dire help!
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced Terraining Tutorial

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by Blood Raven, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Blood Raven

Blood Raven
    Yes, indeed they can look better in some situations, really, thats why im using the blizz cliffs in my project, but im overgrowing them with many doodads like rocks and grasses etc. If it is only blizz cliff, without doodads, it looks bad. In the most of the cases the custom cliffs look better, thats why i reccomend them
    And about the pics, i will upload them to hive alblum, not in imageshack, thanks ;) i will also try to improve the tutorial if i can ;)
    Also, there can be some grammar mistakes, im not from english-speaking country, so if you want fix them

EDIT: Reuploaded the pictures to hive and changed the img paths ;)
    anything else to fix?

EDIT2: Recently i learned how to use up to 16 tilesets in one map, i will add it ;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

While Flad brings up really good points about this (especially the naming of the tutorial), I think I'm going to go ahead and approve it. It follows the guidelines for the tutorial, and many seem to have benefited off of it. Whether or not it is advanced is subjective so I don't think I should judge upon that.

Some of the grammar/explanations are off, but it is still readable and understandable.

~Approved. =)

3. Blood Raven

Blood Raven
    So, the Tutorial has been updated, fixed little grammar, added links to JassNewGen WorldEditor, Added "how to rotate the doodads upside-down" in the reflecions part, and finaly, added the "To the Infinite and Beyond" part, which explains the main epic functions of the JassNewGen WE.
    Enjoy! ;)

4. ~Void~

~Void~
    Hmm, I don't agree with some of your recommendations.

"Sharp" tile variation can be very effective and realistic, if not entirely necessary for good looking terrain, if done properly. Smooth looks forced.

Also, for the custom cliffs part, you might want to make use of large rock doodads to give the cliff a little more shape, or at least take the small ones you placed and lower them so they aren't floating.

5. SA Dashie

SA Dashie
    I was going to say something like this so therefore I also agree. Sharp tile organization can look good on a terrain if done well as for example with a map of mine that I did some time ago when terraining with default blizzard terrain functions(doodads , tile setting ect).

6. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

2D Art Moderator

Awesome tutorial ! :D

7. patsiderenios

patsiderenios
    That was what i needed!Thank you very much!Ι have revised my thoughts on terraining!

8. Hellx-Magnus

Hellx-Magnus
    tilesets

I wanted to try out JassNewGen WE for the mentioned 16 tilesets thing and I can see the new menus and options, but adding more tiles doesn't seem to work. After I'd chosen tiles and pressed OK, saving happens but nothing else, my additional tiles are nowhere. Should this even work with 1.26a? My game is not cracked nor using any other modifications.

9. Blood Raven

Blood Raven
    rerun the WE without saving and open the map in jass new gen we again, and you should have all these you've chosen.... haven't i wrote it? :eek:

10. Adiktuz

Adiktuz
    Here's what Blood Raven said in a step by step manner

1)Open NewGenWE
    2)Open your map
    3)Open Edit Tileset
    4)Pick your tiles
    5)Click OK
    6)Close NewGenWE (WITHOUT HITTING THE SAVE BUTTON)
    7)Reopen NewGenWE
    8)Open your map

11. Hellx-Magnus

Hellx-Magnus
    Yeah I figured it out in meanwhile, I was being hasty.. Sorry and thanks for the answers guys!

12. Blood Raven

Blood Raven
    Updated the Tutorial hardly and put links to other tutorials as well, hope this can be of use :p
    Enjoy :)
    Also, no problem, Hellx-Magnus, it can happen to anyone :)

13. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent
    You can add links to other similar tutorials, to help users browse and learn more quickly. You can also remove those hidden tags and add small previews of images which will enlarge upon click, like in this tutorial: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/aesthetics-33717/

It can also be a good idea to make those notes merged into one, if possible. It's rather unusual to see two notes, one after another, which can be merged. And please recolor those Dark Blue text chapters, they're very difficult to be red. You can use one of color sets I provided in my other tutorial, in here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ptions-creation-process-207782/#Sixth Chapter

Looking Forward to your update.

14. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Administrator

15. DragonVein

DragonVein
    Thanks,... helped me so much :D

16. Foronisus

Foronisus
    this tutorial is really helpful ;) :D one more question where to find Alpha tile or what was that for flying rocks etc...

17. Adiktuz

Adiktuz
    just put Alpha tile on the search bar, its on some thread here...

18. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Administrator

Or...

(one more reply etc...)

...navigate to the bottom of the first post where attachments usually latch onto.

19. LAYDK

LAYDK
    Lol'z..
    This tutorial should just be on Basic Terrainiing.. Not Advanced....

20. HFR

HFR
    Go away.