• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Mercenary Job-List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hey Guys,

I assist with a lot of Fan-Based projects... some game-engine based and some stand-alone. With every large project (5+ Years on it) comes the high and low points of attention and work and what not. Higher towards and after a version release, lower between large version changes or heavy content implementation. During the lower points, the project stays alive, but in a barely-awakened state, sustained by a passing of hands; team-members joining, contributing a brick to the project, and then disappearing. EVENTUALLY, the project will find its way back to a more moderate speed. Sometimes.

At this point, WC3:WoW is at one of those low points. I’m seeing that in-and-out pattern with the work; which is simply because people are not satisfied without immediate progress or the immense work is to tedious to be continued. It’s natural. Happens with all big projects. But I'm sure you'll get back.

Right now, by what I understand of the project, is that in order to revitalize an attack for another release, the code needs to be redone/repaired to meet post-1.24 standards. There are several ways that a big project can reach the next 'Check-Point' when they’re in a lowered state. But I think for you guys it might be smart to implement the 'Task List' A.K.A. 'The Mercenary Job-List'.

It’s simple, people do it all the time, know it, and it’s a defined method. Basically, while most of the under-staffed team focuses solely on the greatest obstacle needed to get to the next 'Check-Point.' In this case the WC3:WoW team focuses COMPLETELY and UTTERLY on fixing the code. Top priority. Unified effort, so that the project remains 'organized' per a certain team 'standard.' While that goes on you post a public task-list. Smaller tasks that anyone who browses by can try their hand at. They can chip-their hand, and if it’s not liked, no-foul, no-one’s under any obligation to do them or have the responsibility to do so. You'll find people are more likely to say 'lemme draw that icon for you' if they aren’t on the team as the Icon-Maker who has to make 40 more. People can try, do what’s appeasing to them, do something to just pass the time, do what’s in their skill-set.

You then hit your check-point at the breakthrough of the code-repairs; matched with a pool of resources to continue building with, you now have some serious momentum to work with, to a somewhat decent settling point.

That’s my suggestion. Thoughts? Problems?

~Asomath

Level 25
You seem to understand our situation pretty well. However, I am not sure if such a list would be taken advantage of by potential triggerers, artists, and so on. But as you said, the project is stuck in a pretty low phase right now and there really isn't much of a reason not to go ahead and create the list. My only concern is if it will be worth the time or not and of course, if people capable of helping will even consider assisting with anything listed.

Additionally, I had thought of creating a large 'to-do-list' that everyone can help out with. I've already done so with models and skins - which didn't deliver many resources, but it did help - but I have always felt hesitant to create one for triggers specifically because in the Wc3:WoW campaign, there are multiple map files. And in some cases, you need to create trigger actions that link to other maps in the campaign to work effectively. Since I am not very good with triggers, I am unsure which triggers can be set for only that specific map and not need linking to others.

Ultimately, I do like the suggestion though. And I will give it a shot when I get the chance. I have been working on repairing the triggers (not the code, since I know 0% code) and continuing the terrain slowly, but as I have mentioned in other posts, my RPG "Ardent Heroes" is my current main focus until the development progress is more solid.

Sorry for the few-days-late reply. It has been a busy weekend. And thanks for the suggestion! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.