• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.27b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

No its because they are actually working on the game now.
That's what they've been doing for the year. My guess is that they've decided to do two patches in a row for WC3 (this wouldn't mean that they won't release SC/Diablo patch before c), because they want to white list those button positions.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
That's what they've been doing for the year.
No they dropped active development for it a long time ago. Even for the hashtable patch they had to specially divert a team away from other projects to work on it and fix the code typecast exploit. Even then it was done badly with many of the GUI actions causing the editor to crash due to incorrect type references. I would say WC3 has not been actively developed for at least 6 years.

When Titan failed they tried to divert some resources to legacy games, but they all ended up going to Diablo III and making Reaper of Souls expansion. The only patch made during that time was some minor balance or melee fixes.

They are not employing people to fix the games. This means there is now a development life cycle. If they use the StarCraft II or Heroes of the Storm cycle we could receive a patch as often as once a month.

My guess is that they've decided to do two patches in a row for WC3 (this wouldn't mean that they won't release SC/Diablo patch before c), because they want to white list those button positions.
Its because they are actually working on patches now. They have full time employed people to work on them as opposed to having to divert other people away from other projects to work on them. As such they could patch as often as once a month if the development cycle allows. The MPQ system is the big hurdle for regular patches as it makes them bigger and bigger each time. If they migrate to CASC and integrate into BattleNet 2.0 (Blizzard) then they could release a patch as often as once a month, as is common for StarCraft II and Heroes of the Storm (which can get many a month).

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

You're forgetting that classic games isn't only Warcraft III. :)

Level 23
on any other version than 1.27b of the game, there is a limit of how big a map hosted on multiplayer can be. That limit is 8 MB, and that is pretty restrictive limit, so this is a way around it, allowing you, and anyone who has this, to host, and play maps of bigger sizes

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Never heard of it

It is mentioned in the Patch 1.24b release notes:

Patch 1.24b
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC WORLD EDITOR CHANGES

- Increased map file size from 4 MB to 8 MB.
- Added the ability to store hashtable handles in a hashtable.
- Added GetSpellTargetX and GetSpellTargetY natives.
- Added a new base handle type “Agent” of which many types now extend from.
- Added a SaveAgentHandle native which can be used for saving most handle types.
- Added a JASS optimization dealing with global variable change events.

FIXES

- Fixed a few false positives caused by the "return bug" fix.
- Fixed a crash related to hashtable reference counting.
- “Shadowing” global variables with local variables no longer is possible.
- Fixed a type conversion dealing with operators (i.e. adding a handle with an integer).

A reputable source points out, this has been supported since Patch 1.24.

Level 4
I've tried the offline installer but cant connect to the Battle.net after using it. I think it crashes too.

Tried starting Wc3 as Administrator? You have to since Win7+ to connect to Battle.net InGame.

Or at least you had to, Idk if patch fixed it.
But if you still haven't finished the installation, then Idk

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Tried starting Wc3 as Administrator? You have to since Win7+ to connect to Battle.net InGame.
No you do not...

Or at least you had to
You never had to...

You need to make sure that you downgrade the permissions of the installation folder, and only the Warcraft III installation folder, to user level so that the game can make changes to it without administrator privileges.

Level 4
No you do not...

You never had to...

You need to make sure that you downgrade the permissions of the installation folder, and only the Warcraft III installation folder, to user level so that the game can make changes to it without administrator privileges.

Idk about u but I had to do that to make it work and also a lot other ppl told me they had to as well, honestly everyone who told me / asked me said that they had to start it as an admin too.

Level 37
My understanding of Program Files is that it is the default installation path of applications. Giving users free write access to this folder would be bad security practice, so by default, Program Files requires admin privileages. Downgrading permissions would either involve actually editing the security tab for the folder, opening up CMD and cooking up some magic, or just simply moving it out of the Program Files.

I keep my WC3 folder outside of Program Files.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Look at how StarCraft II operates. Things such as logs, banks, screenshots etc are saved to a folder in the user's Documents folder. Cache files and map downloads are saved to a folder in the ProgramData folder. Temporary files might be sent to the temporary files folder. StarCraft II never writes to its Program Files entry, only the Blizzard Application does, which is signed by Blizzard so can, and only during an update.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Look at how StarCraft II operates. Things such as logs, banks, screenshots etc are saved to a folder in the user's Documents folder. Cache files and map downloads are saved to a folder in the ProgramData folder. Temporary files might be sent to the temporary files folder. StarCraft II never writes to its Program Files entry, only the Blizzard Application does, which is signed by Blizzard so can, and only during an update.
OK great, that's how Sc2 does it. How can I make Wc3 do that? Speak to me as if to a simpleton.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
OK great, that's how Sc2 does it. How can I make Wc3 do that? Speak to me as if to a simpleton.
Only Blizzard can. As I said...
Just you need to make the game properly. Specifically the game should not write anything to that folder and instead use appropriate other folders.
By "you" I was referring to the people who made the game, not anyone on this forum.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Only Blizzard can. As I said...

By "you" I was referring to the people who made the game, not anyone on this forum.
Dr. Super Good, I am referring to the post made by you earlier:
wherein you implied there was something me/us, the end-user, could do to alleviate this issue, rather than Blizzard or whatever.

I am now asking for you to elucidate on this.

Level 4
It worked for me when installing it on D:/Games (my 2nd partition of my disk)

To mention I only put it there because I'm waiting for a new disk to arrive from amazon.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
wherein you implied there was something me/us, the end-user, could do to alleviate this issue, rather than Blizzard or whatever.
That is because it is something the user can do.

I am now asking for you to elucidate on this.
It is how my Warcraft III folder is setup and why I do not run it as an administrator to work.

It is worth noting that my Warcraft III folder came from Windows Vista, even though I am now running Windows 10 (amazing upgrade path!). As such it might have already had slightly relaxed permissions. It also was installed from original discs, so maybe the downloadable install works slightly differently.

In any case what should work is selecting the Warcraft III folder, going to properties, going to security and then using that tab to iteratively set all contents of the Warcraft III folder to have full control permission with the current user account or all user accounts. This way it no longer needs administrator permission to write to the folder.

Be aware that exclusions take priority over inclusions. As such if any permission that includes the user's account has an exclusion over the folder then it will not allow the user to modify the folder. In such a case remove the exclusion.

Level 3
I am guessing its 128 MB, seeing how both LAN and online have always shared the same limit.

As great as 128 MBs is for a limit, I would like to remind people that it is not an excuse to bloat your maps unnecessarily with custom content. It might only take someone like myself ~10 seconds to download such a map (>10 MB/sec), but for a lot of people in the world it could take minutes, possibly even hours. Such maps will also take a long time to upload, for example on a MMH robot it would take roughly 10 minutes per client, at best.

If Blazzard is reading the wishlist like we think they might be, MMH and other bots may be a thing of the past.

Level 4
I remember when ppl already used to download for 15mins with the old map limit, wtf happens when it's 128 now. Lol

Like me, I should have a DL speed of 10 MB/s but in Wc3 I've only got max. 700 KB/s

Level 19
oh delicious
the only thing blizz ever done with their last patches is limit increase, and yet people ask mapmakers not to do that. are you special kind if moron or what? very few maps today being spreaded as "dl from random host", normally people get into via friends who recommend and give links to donwload.

Level 4
oh delicious
the only thing blizz ever done with their last patches is limit increase, and yet people ask mapmakers not to do that. are you special kind if moron or what? very few maps today being spreaded as "dl from random host", normally people get into via friends who recommend and give links to donwload.

When you would've read it properly you would've seen that he only mentioned to keep the DL speed in mind and not making it unnecessary big.
No1 said that you should keep it at or below 8MB

Level 19
When you would've read it properly you would've seen that he only mentioned to keep the DL speed in mind and not making it unnecessary big.
No1 said that you should keep it at or below 8MB
nobody keeps IE6 in mind, nobody should keeps this nonsence in mind either. if map is shit even 100kb size wont save it, if its good it may as well be 1gb, it doesnt matter except for snowflakes who think that maps are spreaded via battlenet

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Like me, I should have a DL speed of 10 MB/s but in Wc3 I've only got max. 700 KB/s
You got a max dl speed in WC3 of 10 MB/sec. Reality is though that practically no hosts, especially the robots, have a sufficient ul speed to match that. Most European and American players cannot match that as consumer grade networks have low ul speeds. Some fibre based or shared origination networks can but these are really limited in availability.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I'm not sure, depends on where you live I guess. I have more than ten times that upload speed for a pretty cheap price. Should think most here atleast have 20 up.
Be aware that 20 up often means 20mbit/sec upload which is at best 2.5 MB/sec.

My current internet connection...
Downstream: 78.03 Mbps
Upstream: 19.53 Mbps

Or in sensible units...
Downstream: 9.75 MB/sec
Upstream: 2.44 MB/sec

I could upload a 128 MB map in ~50 seconds. On the other hand I have the potential to download one in ~13 seconds.

Why they use mbit instead of MB is either to inflate numeric sizes (idiots buy bigger!) or due to it being a left over from old com days with baud rates.

Only cable and fibre based services offer near perfectly symmetric speeds. These are only available near/in cities or internet important areas. For most people living in suburbs or towns there is no way one will be getting such speed for at least another 10 or 20 years.

Level 25
nobody keeps IE6 in mind, nobody should keeps this nonsence in mind either. if map is shit even 100kb size wont save it, if its good it may as well be 1gb, it doesnt matter except for snowflakes who think that maps are spreaded via battlenet
Implying that everyone has a good internet connection or none of those shitty "You may only used this amount of internet per month".

Level 2
Would you would like to add a bug that has the patch 1.27, in Reign of Chaos, on the campaing of undead (where you can play with the High Elves), not let me build the High Elves barracks, when choose a peasant so elaborate a high elves barracks, when you build it, still not building, where could notify Blizzard about this bug?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Would you would like to add a bug that has the patch 1.27, in Reign of Chaos, on the campaing of undead (where you can play with the High Elves), not let me build the High Elves barracks, when choose a peasant so elaborate a high elves barracks, when you build it, still not building, where could notify Blizzard about this bug?
You play as high elves in the RoC undead campaign? I thought you only played as undead...

Level 2
Well, that shouldn't really allow you to build elven troops. Maybe that's what @HDPC2000 considers a bug?

But in previous versions if you left to build barracks, but I think it was because of insurance, Blizzard edit map (to make changes I'm not sure), with the editor of The Frozen Throne, since I extracted the WinMPQ map, and I played them with expansion and if I build, but in Reign of Chaos no.

But in previous versions if you left to build barracks, but I think it was because of insurance, Blizzard edit map (to make changes I'm not sure), with the editor of The Frozen Throne, since I extracted the WinMPQ map, and I played them with expansion and if I build, but in Reign of Chaos no.

May be a PEBKAC error ;)

Level 2
Well, RoC campaign levels are not supposed to be played through TFT.

Exactly, it is an error that comes with the map, as I said, just draw the map and played it on the TFT be if it was the problem, if you play the level without extracting anything (from the campaign option), it does not build it the building stays at 10% or something so, and you uninstall the game, and only install the ROC with the patch , and as usual, it is a bug that should alert you to Blizzard, play with the High Elves is an Easter Egg that I put Blizzard.

If you want, yourself can try playing the level in ROC, in the campaign mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.