• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.27b

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
You don't exactly achieve anything beyond inflating your ego by enlightening the poor foolish sheeple who likely just happen to have different preferences and standards.
If everyone just shut up, imagine the world we would live in... where the majority would always decide on whims and subjectivity. Consider what Draco is doing, as a moral boost to hasten the patch wishlist's reach to completion.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Geez, I don't get why everyone is making such a fuzz about the command button stacking.

It took me only 1 hour to "fix" the problem with the removed command button stacking by just changing the icon and tooltip of the command buttons I did not want.
- Catch the hold position order and trigger the cast of a hidden spell instead -> no-target ability.
- Catch the patrol order and trigger it to cast a hidden spell -> point-target ability.
- Attack button can be removed by hiding the UI in OE for the unit
- Catch the move order and trigger the cast of a hidden spell instead -> point/unit target ability*

*just replace all scripted move orders in your game with smart orders so that move is reserved for triggering the spell

The only button you can not effectively repurpose is the stop button. And this one imho is important for every type of gameplay, as it's the only way to cancel some spells.

What I'm saying is: get creative and work around the limitation. This is not the only constraint we have in mapping for WC3.
This was found out only recently anyway. What did you do before command button stacking was a thing?

Level 9
What?
Broken preloader saves in some maps, broke button hide in all maps, graphic issues, and other problems.
This is very bad. Nothing good, only change FileSizeLimit constant from 8MB to 128MB.
I am wrong?
They make some changes without regard to backward compatibility.

Last edited:
Level 3
We should thank Blizzard taking care of the ''old'' games, and keep in touch with the community. Also we should wait for the final result, and meanwhile using the patch that we like more.

[I just hope they don't remove LAN from W3 (and sc1 and D2) and make both single player and multiplayer only available on online bnet. Ok, in that case I think I will hate them for the rest of my life.]

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
[I just hope they don't remove LAN from W3 (and sc1 and D2) and make both single player and multiplayer only available on online bnet. Ok, in that case I think I will hate them for the rest of my life.]
Me too. That would surely be the last straw. However, such an act is absolutely doubtful.
They make some changes without regard to backward compatibility.

Hopefully not. Creators should update their maps. The problem is with those maps that nobody takes care of anymore. But hey, there's always downgrading your game just for that.

Level 14
It took me only 1 hour to "fix" the problem with the removed command button stacking by just changing the icon and tooltip of the command buttons I did not want.
- Catch the hold position order and trigger the cast of a hidden spell instead -> no-target ability.
- Catch the patrol order and trigger it to cast a hidden spell -> point-target ability.
- Attack button can be removed by hiding the UI in OE for the unit
- Catch the move order and trigger the cast of a hidden spell instead -> point/unit target ability*

Of course this might work for a singleplayer map but in a multiplayer map or even in a map with multiple heroes you can't use that. Unless you have a way to change the icon and the tooltip locally for each unit.

Level 14
This fix can only work with an ability that must be shared by ALL heroes.
Gaias has no problem with this because all the spells are in a spellbook. So I guess he just used it for some option icon that are shared by all heroes. But I assumed we were talking about spells.

What I want to say is that this is only a fix for very specific cases. So you can't really call that a fix.

Level 19
get creative and work around the limitation.
War+is+peace.jpg
creative people aren't the one who would break imaginable obstacles. they're visionaries YOUR game need, not vice versa.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Geez this was just an example. I know that my solution won't help everyone. What I'm saying is: there are more arbitrary limits in Warcraft III that we have gotten used to. Like the fact that you can only have 12 buttons total on the command card. And I see nobody complaining about that.

What I'm saying is: you are acting like a spoiled child that got a proverbial cake once and now cries that it has been taken away. If you hadn't had the cake in the first place, there would be nothing wrong.
Command button stacking was never an intended feature. It was an exploit abusing missing boundary checking which could lead to potential game crashes and other issues. And it was a very recent exploit aswell. It's not like we used that for years.

The point is: if you build your entire map concept around a bug, maybe it is time to reconsider some design choices? Do you need 9 abilities on your command card? Maybe? But maybe not? I don't know your game. Maybe you can try to achieve the same effect that your 9 abilities have with "combo"-like abilities that get replaced after you use a different ability? Or maybe you move spells that are situational elsewhere?
Get creative, guys! When there's a river crossing your path and the bridge is gone, you can still use a boat.

Level 9
Geez this was just an example. I know that my solution won't help everyone. What I'm saying is: there are more arbitrary limits in Warcraft III that we have gotten used to. Like the fact that you can only have 12 buttons total on the command card. And I see nobody complaining about that.

What I'm saying is: you are acting like a spoiled child that got a proverbial cake once and now cries that it has been taken away. If you hadn't had the cake in the first place, there would be nothing wrong.
Command button stacking was never an intended feature. It was an exploit abusing missing boundary checking which could lead to potential game crashes and other issues. And it was a very recent exploit aswell. It's not like we used that for years.

The point is: if you build your entire map concept around a bug, maybe it is time to reconsider some design choices? Do you need 9 abilities on your command card? Maybe? But maybe not? I don't know your game. Maybe you can try to achieve the same effect that your 9 abilities have with "combo"-like abilities that get replaced after you use a different ability? Or maybe you move spells that are situational elsewhere?
Get creative, guys! When there's a river crossing your path and the bridge is gone, you can still use a boat.
if hide buttons is error, then 1.27b is fatal error
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D

Level 14

There was a real feature and it has been removed. Yes if there was no feature in the first place, nobody would complain... Also did you know that water is wet.

And it was a very recent exploit aswell. It's not like we used that for years.

It was discovered in January 2015. It has been almost 2 years.

The point is: if you build your entire map concept around a bug, maybe it is time to reconsider some design choices?

Maybe you shouldn't assume what people did with this bug ? The only reality is that is enabled more design space for us creators. You didn't have to hide passive in spell books anymore, you didn't have to use unpractical spellbooks if you wanted more than 6 spells for your hero and you could even put icons on the sidebar. It was a a blessing for many map makers.

We all know that Warcraft 3 has some serious limitations and we are used to finding way to get around with creativity. Button stacking was a very cool discovery. It was one crazy boat to cross the river. Now we don't have any boat to cross this specific river.
But I am hopeful that Blizzard has heard our calls and will restore the boat - maybe gift us an even better boat.

Level 7
I have actually 8 spells, the nineth(is this correct?) is a "combo" ability that gets added after you used some abilities in the right order. I know i could remove one ability and then adding it again when there are no combo ability, and remove the attack button. I just love the original gameplay and hate to have to change it just for a bugfix that nobody asked for.
I also lost CDR mechanic but i'm not complaining, because memory hack is unsafe and patching it is not a bad call.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
But I am hopeful that Blizzard has heard our calls and will restore the boat - maybe gift us an even better boat.
This. Maybe we will get a feature that does something similar in the future. I mean, they are listening to the community after all (otherwise we wouldnt even have the size limit removal). But there is no point in lamenting a fixed bug now. Focus on giving reasonable suggestions on how to achieve the same thing with a supported feature.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
An option to both hide, and disable normal abilites would be amazing. I find that partrol especially is useless in many maps.
That would probably be the easiest fix:

SetPlayerAbilityAvailable --> SetUnitAbilityAvailable ... which should allow for those buttons, of course.

Internally, there is a mechanic that can hide command buttons. They use it with the "ward" unit type, so I doubt its hard to implement.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Im only trying to fight people who think they're greatest devs history ever had, because its obviously false.
Except you are not, are you? You are just spreading hate around in a non constructive manner.

No one was saying they are the greatest developers ever. We are saying that they do not deserve all the stupid insults people are throwing around. Especially by those who are not qualified to make judgement as they have very little understanding of computers.
HalfLife?They are not updated, but the company Blizzard decided to take up the update but nothing good is done, only bad! (bad more than good)
Fixing Mac and Windows 10 is bad?!

wut? you just killed creative 9-buttons build with ur "dont play around bugs". whats the matter if its a bug if its useful?
Which like <1% of maps ever made and ever will be made for Warcraft III will use. People are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

There was a real feature and it has been removed. Yes if there was no feature in the first place, nobody would complain... Also did you know that water is wet.
There never was such a feature. It was an exploit being used as a feature. Similar to how type casting was mostly removed.

Let us not forget that it probably was causing bugs, instability or other issues that no one could prove or track down.
It was discovered in January 2015. It has been almost 2 years.
In a game that is over 10 years old and mostly is dead now...

Very few maps (<1% of those made) used it.

It was one crazy boat to cross the river.
Was it a boat or a sieve to cross the water with though?

No one knows exactly how the exploit worked internally or if it was entirely safe.

Level 19
Which like <1% of maps ever made and ever will be made for Warcraft III will use. People are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
talking about creativity, keep saying 'youre minority'. get ur fucking ground already. creativity have nothing to do with "workaround-ability"
those who are not qualified to make judgement as they have very little understanding of computers.
yet somehow made it just as good as can't even "understanding" people do. icefrog had no idea about jass but only gui. it doesnt matter at all.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
1.26a not works in Windows 10?
Yes it did not work properly in Windows 10. It appears Windows 10's D3D8 implementation has/had minor compatibility issues, possibly as a result of its API being extremely deprecated.

When running in D3D8 mode the following problems occurred on Windows 10.
  • Gamma control slider did not work. Calls to change the DAC conversion tables feature used to implement the gamma slider were being ignored.
  • Extremely low and unreliable performance. Frame rates would jump around between 15 and 60 in even the most simple maps. Player experience was very poor.
All third party solutions involved either running in OpenGL mode (not really a solution due to ugly text as a result of a UV mapping bug), or using a third party D3D8 dll which was nothing more than a wrapper to D3D9.

talking about creativity, keep saying 'youre minority'.
If people want access to near infinite command card buttons then they can just use StarCraft II. In StarCraft II you can fully remap all command card buttons any way you want. You can add buttons anywhere you want. You can have as many command card levels as you want.

Level 14
@Dr Super Good As I told you many times already. You are not a map maker anymore so you shouldn't speak about things you don't understand nor you should pull numbers out of your ass. It was a feature like hiding passives via spellbooks is a feature. It was used by many people as the reaction in this forum shows.

This "safety" issue is completely irrelevant. Mac is still crashing on maps from 2009. If they really wanted to make Warcraft 3 playable on Mac, they had more serious bugs to fix before this one. Also, there was a type of button stacking that didn't crash on Mac.
Moreover, you can still use preload to kill the game. Maybe they should have spent more time using their 5 years of experience in the industry to fix this major exploit and not some harmless exploit.

I don't understand why you are so stubborn defending such a lazy and badly done patch.

I like this patch: heavier Maps and this Patch fixed a bug in one of my Maps.
Had a wierd bug: desync after first unit/Hero kill, if downloaded over Warcraft 3. It's now Fixed.
Previous all Clients had to restart Wacraft 3, or download over Explorer, to avoid this desync.

For information: Nor did this Map use Widigetizer nor did any Client/Host play any map using such a programm before, they all fresh started Warcraft 3.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It was a feature like hiding passives via spellbooks is a feature. It was used by many people as the reaction in this forum shows.
By all... 4? of them! Many of which have already found work arounds.

It was not a feature because if it was it would not have been removed. It was an exploit people were using as a feature.

This "safety" issue is completely irrelevant. Mac is still crashing on maps from 2009. If they really wanted to make Warcraft 3 playable on Mac, they had more serious bugs to fix before this one.
Moreover, you can still use preload to kill the game. Maybe they should have spent more time using their 5 years of experience in the industry to fix this major exploit and not some harmless exploit.
They are working on fixing the problems. Rome was not built in a day.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

I'm sure that none of those criticizing Blizzard here are software engineers. I'm not either, but I'm in school to become one, so I can say: knowing how to code does not mean you know about the creation and maintenance of serious software. DSG is completely right here. You guys defending the glitch are speaking out of ignorance.

I know it always sucks when a useful exploit is patched but, well, this is why you don't abuse exploits I guess. If they add an intended feature, there's an implicit promise that it will never be removed or functionally changed after release, since it would break existing code. There's no guarantee with bugs. They didn't intend for that to happen, perhaps it was dangerous, so it got removed. When you abuse a bug, you automatically take the risk of losing it in the future.

However I will agree that Blizzard is partially to blame, because they did not provide some useful functionality to begin with. Same thing with the return bug, that kind of handle manipulation should have been allowed to begin with, using natives.

(edit) Oh look at that, Blizzard confirmed fix next patch: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20752447283#post-4

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 25
We intended to fix all the negative coordinates that cause maps to crash. We have the two pairs of coordinates that don't cause crashes (0, -11) and (-2147483648, -2147483648) white listed in 1.27c. Soon.

/thread2.

Level 9
We intended to fix all the negative coordinates that cause maps to crash. We have the two pairs of coordinates that don't cause crashes (0, -11) and (-2147483648, -2147483648) white listed in 1.27c. Soon.

/thread2.

Someone wrote that it(hide icons) was a error and that it fixed, but it was some bad blizzard coder specially broke it? :):):):):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

We're promised another patch in less than a month and confirmation on 1.28? It's as if something switched. Or frequent patching is their way to combat memory offset inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.