• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

When did you first start playing WoW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I was one of the few who got to participate in the Classic Wow during beta, I been with them ever since, but now I just have an active account more then I play actively.
I would say I was a hardcore raider from 60 through the end of WOTLK.

Hell I never even lost my epics. I went from with 8/9 t3 into Karazhan (everything was replaced by blues)

TBC I raided NAX10 in Full Sunwell gear (3/8 t6 as well), I even has neck/Ring and trinkets still!

After WOTLK though I kinda stopped by then, I still had an active account but most of my guildies have all grown to a point where wow isn't really something we play for raid nights...we're old vets who just have an active account to watch the world change...

SO, when did YOU start your journey? Do you remember the patch you started on?

Level 29
Ahoi, another old-timer here! I used to be Warrior(can all 3,easy),Hunter(marksman),Retri Pala(only during Wotlk),Frost Mage, Blood DK and you dont give me over the Priest! man do i suck at healing. XD
WoW ended with Catac for me, so i played up to the last days of Wotlk. And imho, seeing where it ended up being today, was those days glorious. Each time having a 'da fuq?' when i see nowadays Pandas oneshotting our glorious memories.
It wasnt until TBC the game managed to gain my real interest, however had played a while during classic,afterwards by the time Wotlk appeared i was addicted already.

Level 16
Ahoi, another old-timer here! I used to be Warrior(can all 3,easy),Hunter(marksman),Retri Pala(only during Wotlk),Frost Mage, Blood DK and you dont give me over the Priest! man do i suck at healing. XD
WoW ended with Catac for me, so i played up to the last days of Wotlk. And imho, seeing where it ended up being today, was those days glorious. Each time having a 'da fuq?' when i see nowadays Pandas oneshotting our glorious memories.
It wasnt until TBC the game managed to gain my real interest, however had played a while during classic,afterwards by the time Wotlk appeared i was addicted already.
Very nice!|
Do you happen to remember what content was out when you FIRST joined?

Level 29
Cant exactly remember the number, believe it was 1.8.?
When i very FIRST time got into the game and were still running around as a freshnoob people were excitedly chatting about rushing to a place called Silithus for something they called Ahn'Qiraj and talked about Alterac, of which i would very later on learn that the former is newest dungeon and very later on that the second is about alliance whining, which i couldnt give any meaning till ive been into the battleground very later on. And then i first time died to a "boss" in the game and it was Hogger ofcourse. XD!
I remember slaving away day and night to get ingredients for an amulet out of those travelling darkmoon fair, back then was required on an class. Do you remember how long the grind was in the plaguelands ?
PvP balance was a joke(tbh never did ever get any better, just alternated who is ruling now), Warriors were freaking underpowered during Classic, you had to get engineering and an item to reflect spells and then it was only one magic sphere at a time. Alchemy profession was actually very useful and always in high demand, polymorph took forever, Mages ruled only to get owned by any cunning Rogue. A well geared Dudu with contemplating skills couldnt ever die and solo a player group during it, shit used to be freaking crazy and fun. Ah, the satisfaction when you land the killing blow on most powerful class with the underdog was immense.

Level 16
Cant exactly remember the number, believe it was 1.8.?
When i very FIRST time got into the game and were still running around as a freshnoob people were excitedly chatting about rushing to a place called Silithus for something they called Ahn'Qiraj and talked about Alterac, of which i would very later on learn that the former is newest dungeon and very later on that the second is about alliance whining, which i couldnt give any meaning till ive been into the battleground very later on. And then i first time died to a "boss" in the game and it was Hogger ofcourse. XD!
I remember slaving away day and night to get ingredients for an amulet out of those travelling darkmoon fair, back then was required on an class. Do you remember how long the grind was in the plaguelands ?
PvP balance was a joke(tbh never did ever get any better, just alternated who is ruling now), Warriors were freaking underpowered during Classic, you had to get engineering and an item to reflect spells and then it was only one magic sphere at a time. Alchemy profession was actually very useful and always in high demand, polymorph took forever, Mages ruled only to get owned by any cunning Rogue. A well geared Dudu with contemplating skills couldnt ever die and solo a player group during it, shit used to be freaking crazy and fun. Ah, the satisfaction when you land the killing blow on most powerful class with the underdog was immense.
LOL, I was around when t1 looked different then it looks now... And no, I did not mean t2.

I rep grinded ad rep for so long, it was nice to see when nax came out that my attunement was free!
I think the most dragged out rep grind for me in Classic was Thorium brotherhood. Second would be Timbermaw, but 3rd was defiantly AD.
While there were other INSANE rep you COULD grind, non yielded worthy enough rewards. (IE: Rep in Dire Maul)

Level 24
I started back in patch 2.1 I used to play on a mage but since 3.0 I've played blood DK which means I started back when blood was still a DPS spec. The first raid I ever did was Karazan and the truth was at the end of TBC I was so tired of mage that I was ready to quit WoW. When WotLK came out I had less than two weeks left of game time (if I remember correctly). One of my friends however gave me a free copy of WotLK and I tried out the Death Knight class and I emediatly fell in love with the blood spec. Thanks to the Death Knight class I still play WoW today. I hate the concept of scheduling my game time acourding to others since I see video games as a hoby and not work. Therefore I do dailes, solo content or do whatever pleases me. I love WoW since it's such an open world that I can share with other people.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
hm.. let's see..

technically I started playing WoW in the early days, with other words classic. My dad was playing his human paladin on Dragonblight, I sat by his side watching him level. I remember when he was at westfall and I saw the murlocs there for the first time. Somehow he let me play on his account and I created a lot of random characters and leveled them to 10 before deleting them to start over. My best ever level wise was my level 21 dwarf warrior. (Brix @Dragonblight) It's really low but well.. classic was harder and I was ~8 years old without quest helper and I couldn't speak english, and I was allowed to play for 1 hours per day only.. so.. yeah that's it.

Level 11
Interesting. How are you liking it since you just started?

I'm really enjoying it, I have a level 34 Worgen Priest, a level 90 Forsaken Rogue (the WoD's pre-sale), a level 58 Blood Elf Death Knight, and level 6 Human Mage (I made it for my little sister...).
And no, I don't like Pandas, Pandaren was the most weird thing that Blizzard did to WoW, I think I'm watching Kung Fu Panda.

Level 24
My friend tried to persuade me into playing Molten once, to prove how awesome the server was he showed me a run of Firelands. The adds ended up falling throught the floor, the bosses tactics didn't work. Makes you happy you pay for the real game. :D

Level 29
At a private server, one time during an update they made an error that erased all resource nodes in the game. The collapse of economy, following rage and QQ was one of the best lulzy experiences one can ever had on a private server so far. They did not manage to re-add them back later on, so needed to rollback pre-update, which caused additional derp atop all that.
On another occasion, again a different server, which had emphasis on PvP this time:
The staff managed to mess up Mage's Ice Lance spell damage during an core update, allowing it to literally one-shot everything till can get fixed. Needless to say players abused the crap out of it and enjoyed constantly crashing the server with slaying things never intended to be slayed.
The most interesting server i had ever set foot on had set half or even lesser rates for everything, who had an lvl +20 char was literally treated as an god because everything is such slow, the most rich of the server had only a few gold with many dungeons still waiting their realmfirsts and so on. Highest level on whole server was an 42, on that time.

Level 24
why should that matter? it's a "private server" lol GM can restore anything, they just choose not too.

True, if you want a safe account buy real WoW and an authenticator at your local GameStop. If you however are hell bent on playing on a private server, tough luck. People who create private servers are rarely serious businesses men and you shouldn't grow to expect a lot from them. I hate to bring it to you but all the developers of private servers that I've met are teenagers who want to make some easy bucks by placing a server in their mothers wardrobe.

I eagerly awaited the game since 2001 when they announced it. I bought it in 2004, but I realized it had monthly payments, so I didn't end up playing it (I returned it). I mostly played wc3 from then on until 2007 (burning crusade).

At that point, I had a bunch of extra WoW trials, so I decided to give it ago by making a gnome rogue. That was probably one of my most nostalgic experiences from the game. I was just amazed by the game, and I was so excited about exploring. I made my gnome a blacksmith/miner (I didn't understand the concept of armor proficiencies. I didn't realize I could never wear mail as a rogue. I thought I just had to be higher level). I went everywhere. Back then, leveling to 20 took a few days (even longer if you're new), unless you play non-stop. I played quite a bit, but I was still learning and exploring, so I leveled really slowly. Eventually, I realized they capped my level off at 20 and my gold was capped at 10. I didn't let that stop me from going everywhere I could. I went to loch modan, wetlands, redridge mountains, burning steppes, westfall, burning steppes, stranglethorn vale, duskwood, etc. lol. I must've had 100-200 deaths on that character, haha.

After realizing I couldn't progress much, I decided to get the actual game. I made a Draenei shaman (mostly because I loved Akama. I don't know what I was thinking though. I didn't know "Broken" and Draenei were different, but I still had loads of fun. And the questing experience as draenei or blood elves was the best in BC, IMO. I still go to Ghostlands if I ever need to level a character 10-20.

But anyway, that started my WoW experience. I played on and off though, not continuously. And sometimes it would take me a long time before I would actually go and buy the expansion. I was playing during the start of wrath and cata to experience the events leading up to it, but I didn't buy the games right when they were released, but rather a few months into it. I only bought MoP right away. It is worth it, IMO. Everything is so much funner when everyone is experiencing things for the first time. :) I eagerly await WoD now. Hopefully I'll buy it when it is released.

Level 16
True, if you want a safe account buy real WoW and an authenticator at your local GameStop. If you however are hell bent on playing on a private server, tough luck. People who create private servers are rarely serious businesses men and you shouldn't grow to expect a lot from them. I hate to bring it to you but all the developers of private servers that I've met are teenagers who want to make some easy bucks by placing a server in their mothers wardrobe.
Actually, while I have a retail account, I also have a classic wow account and enjoy playing that game, considering the server has a daily que if you don't log on early enough it stays pretty busy. It sticks to being legit as possible (but again it's a private server, not much legit in that is there? lol)
I eagerly awaited the game since 2001 when they announced it. I bought it in 2004, but I realized it had monthly payments, so I didn't end up playing it (I returned it). I mostly played wc3 from then on until 2007 (burning crusade).

At that point, I had a bunch of extra WoW trials, so I decided to give it ago by making a gnome rogue. That was probably one of my most nostalgic experiences from the game. I was just amazed by the game, and I was so excited about exploring. I made my gnome a blacksmith/miner (I didn't understand the concept of armor proficiencies. I didn't realize I could never wear mail as a rogue. I thought I just had to be higher level). I went everywhere. Back then, leveling to 20 took a few days (even longer if you're new), unless you play non-stop. I played quite a bit, but I was still learning and exploring, so I leveled really slowly. Eventually, I realized they capped my level off at 20 and my gold was capped at 10. I didn't let that stop me from going everywhere I could. I went to loch modan, wetlands, redridge mountains, burning steppes, westfall, burning steppes, stranglethorn vale, duskwood, etc. lol. I must've had 100-200 deaths on that character, haha.

After realizing I couldn't progress much, I decided to get the actual game. I made a Draenei shaman (mostly because I loved Akama. I don't know what I was thinking though. I didn't know "Broken" and Draenei were different, but I still had loads of fun. And the questing experience as draenei or blood elves was the best in BC, IMO. I still go to Ghostlands if I ever need to level a character 10-20.

But anyway, that started my WoW experience. I played on and off though, not continuously. And sometimes it would take me a long time before I would actually go and buy the expansion. I was playing during the start of wrath and cata to experience the events leading up to it, but I didn't buy the games right when they were released, but rather a few months into it. I only bought MoP right away. It is worth it, IMO. Everything is so much funner when everyone is experiencing things for the first time. :) I eagerly await WoD now. Hopefully I'll buy it when it is released.
probably one of the best stories I have heard yet!

Level 16
Ive played molten-WoW WoTLK and MoP and also Heroes-WoW MoP and a little bit of Blizzard WoW. I dont like original WoW, because i can only level to 20 and i dont want to pay 30 euros to play 60 days more.
Original wow gave you 14 days to play up to any level... the current retail only allowed level 20 however...
I remember people getting to 60 in those 14 days...that's why the put an end to that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.