• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Legion Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
So... Illidan's back and alive in what I assume is the Twisting Neather. And it looks like he's going to team up with Gul'Dan. Demon Hunters are a new playable class and Broken Isles will be involved in World of Warcraft Legion.

Level 9
So... Illidan's back and alive in what I assume is the Twisting Neather. And it looks like he's going to team up with Gul'Dan. Demon Hunters are a new playable class and Broken Isles will be involved in World of Warcraft Legion.
This is so epic. Im like 10 times more hyped for this expansion than i was for WoD. So fuckin epic. Btw one of the Blizzard employees say that this will be the biggest Legion invasion ever so the prophecy that while we fight Legion the naga will raise from the sea can become true.

I hope its the latter

Come on, they should get some love for now and build up massively that way some of it can be destroyed later, I don't want them to steamroll, but neither do I want them to be a dead horse that keeps getting beat and it's only Chris MetzHorde that saves them.

Level 8
New expansion features.

So far I like world of warcraft legion . But they had added things called artifacts system. This is probably what I hate the most, the artifact system allows players to get special awesome weapons to battle the legion. Some of the weapons are shattered remains of the frostmourne and the ashbringer :vw_wtf:

What do you think about the new expansion so far? I like everything but e artifacts.

Level 9
I like the weapon customization for artifacts. They should have made this earlier. Would love to customize my weapons. Im really looking forward for this expansion. I really want to play a Demon Hunter since it looks really nice. The honor system i dont really care about since i dont PvP anyway. Also the dungeons and raids look pretty sick and it has happened. Illidan is finally back. What im really dissapointed about tho is that where is Drak'Thul? Does he not exist anymore that nothing about him. Also the zones look really cool too. Looks so much better than WoD zones and i didnt think we would kill Gul'Dan off so fast like its so weird. I still dont understand tho. What happens to Grommash and Yrel? Are they just gonna stay in Draenor? Btw its funny how 110 is the new level cap. Most people when they reach 110 are like yay level 110 now i can start doing dungeons and then start raiding with my guild and i would be like: 110 nice... does that mean i can solo heroic Siege of Orgrimmar now? It seems that belves and nelves are only able to be demon hunters. I mean im totally fine with that since ive never seen any other race be a demon hunter. Im still kinda sad that we still wont see necromancer as playable class, but who knows maybe we will see necromancer playable class when the Scourge and Bolvar return. Basically its possible that Bolvar and Scourge will come back after the legion expansion. I mean this expansion Illidan comes back and Illidan was in Burning Crusade. WotLK was after BC so we might see Bolvar, but who knows what might happen after this one and i really hope this expansion wont be so short. PS: Turalyon and Alleria might be coming back like holy fuck.

Last edited:
Level 8
I like the weapon customization for artifacts. They should have made this earlier. Would love to customize my weapons. Im really looking forward for this expansion. I really want to play a Demon Hunter since it looks really nice. The honor system i dont really care about since i dont PvP anyway. Also the dungeons and raids look pretty sick and it has happened. Illidan is finally back. What im really dissapointed about tho is that where is Drak'Thul? Does he not exist anymore that nothing about him. Also the zones look really cool too. Looks so much better than WoD zones and i didnt think we would kill Gul'Dan off so fast like its so weird. I still dont understand tho. What happens to Grommash and Yrel? Are they just gonna stay in Draenor? Btw its funny how 110 is the new level cap. Most people when they reach 110 are like yay level 110 now i can start doing dungeons and then start raiding with my guild and i would be like: 110 nice... does that mean i can solo heroic Siege of Orgrimmar now? It seems that belves and nelves are only able to be demonhunters. I mean im totally fine with that since ive never seen any other race be a demon hunter. Im still kinda sad that we still wont see necromancer as playable class, but who knows maybe we will see necromancer playable class when the Scourge and Bolvar return. Basically its possible that Bolvar and Scourge will come back after the legion expansion. I mean this expansion Illidan comes back and Illidan was in Burning Crusade. WotLK was after BC so we might see Bolvar, but who knows what might happen after this one and i really hope this expansion wont be so short. PS: Turalyon and Alleria might be coming back like holy fuck.
I have no problem with customizing weapons , that would be cool but legandary weapons with everyone running with them i find stupid.

Level 24
Alright I've updated the first post since we've retrieved new intel.

First of all remember that we're almost certainly not going to see all that is promised for instance in WoD we were promised that Neatherstorm would become a zone. Well lets just say I have my doubts that Neatherstorm is ever going to be displayed.

First things first, Alleria and Turalyon, they are back for the action!

All right so the new continent is called the Broken Isles and we have a few zones to cover.

1. Val'Sharah: Once the home of druidism and the location where Malfurion was taught the ways of the druid by Cenarius back prior to the War of the Ancients. In this zone we'll encounter Xavius who will be doing what he loves to do mess with the Emerald Dreams so he will quite obviously be serving N'Zoth and trying to break him out from the Rift of Aln. So we will finally get a look inside the Emerald Dream. It is even said that we're going to go into the Emerald Dreams and dispense some justice and while this could be a reference to Xavius I hope it's a reference to N'Zoth.

2. Stormheim: This is the home of two Titan keepers that have been fighting a war with each others for thousands of years and we will travel to their homes Valor and Hellheim. Here we will learn the origin of the Valkyr and the Kvaldir as we ride "the massive ship of souls straight into the maws of Hell". Here we will also fight the Vrykuls god-king.

3. Azsuna: It is said that nowhere is the remnants of the past better displayed then here and even though it's never said in my mind this can only be ONE place, the ruins of Zin-Azshari! Here we will also encounter a dying breed of the blue dragonflight.

4. Highmountain: Here we will encounter a faction called the Highmountain Taurens who hold the relics of Khaz'goroth the titan who shaped and forged worlds. (Seems like my theory about the tauren predating the Old Gods got an extra leg to stand on. ^^) In addition here we will find the lair of the Eart-Warder, Neltharion where we will find some answers behind the Old Gods and them corrupting him into Deathwing.

5. Suramar: The childhood home of Tyrande, Malfurion and Illidan the location where we will find a new race of elves that's made of an old race of elves. Those elves have flourished here for 10 000 years through their abuse of their immense magical power. Sadly these elves have now also joined the ranks of the Burning Legion and since they guard a relic we are desperately going to need and we're going to have to slaughter their entire city and the demon guards they keep to get it.

6. Acherus: The Death Knights are back and ready to roll bitches. ^^

We then will have a sort of semi-zone called the Tomb of Sargeras which Gul'Dan has used as a gateway to numerous other Legion worlds. He actually has summoned such a large army that it outshines that which we saw in War of the Ancients and so far all the other expansions have looked like two girls fighting over the last Justin Bieber CD in comparison to WotA. We also find out that the battle of the Tomb of Sargeras will begin prior to the expansions launch and that people who've been playing over the past 5 - 10 years will be shocked over the outcome. (I'm thinking Gates of Ahn'Qiraj remake.) It's also said that after this war we will "wake up" to a Azeroth that's ablaze.

The questline of the demonhunters will start out with you seeing the past as a demon hunter sent out on a suicide mission by Illidan to find a now shattered world. That world was a jail created by Sargeras back when he was a good Titan and that jail hosted all the demons that Sargeras had slain. Now once Sargeras turned corrupt this world was the first place to be destroyed. One thing that the developers said was that we would travel to the vault of the wardens where we would find the true meaning of sacrifice and what it meant to be a demon hunter. But the most important piece of the lore that was said was that we would have to find the pillars of creation and seek help from the Titans. And where the Titans are bound our lord and savior Alexstrasza is not far behind. The Pillars of Creations are remnants of artifacts that the Titans used to shape modern Azeroth and we're going to need them in order to stop the Burning Legion at the Tomb of Sargeras.

Now for class and spec specific story. There are three questlines for every class depending on your spec and class At the end of these class quests we will get a legendary artifact item that suits your class. Blizzard claims that there are going to be 36 different artifacts. And the entire game follows a legendary quest of you attempting to claim you legendary item. Ret paladins will retrieve the Ashbringer, Prot warriors will take up the sword and shield of a fallen Vrykul King that was forged from the scales of Neltharion. Frost death knights will seek out the shards of Frostmourne and forge two one handed swords, Icebringer and Soulreaper. (I sure hope my blood DK gets the 2-handed version.) Mistweaver monks will attempt to find the Staff of Emperor Shaohao. Felo'Melorn the one handed dagger of Keal'Thas Sunstrider goes to the fire mages. The Eagle Spear from the Highmountain Taurens go to survival hunters. Enhancement shamans will get the Doomhammer a weapon that really needs no introduction. Feral druids will get fangs of the first nightsaber which isn't really a weapon but changes your appearance in cat form.

Then there's artifact power that you will recieve once you've forged your item that you will get from pretty much any activity you do. This power is used to buy traits that will improve you and your weapons as well as unlock new visuals for your weapons.

Then we also have class houses, this is a home for everyone of a specific class and you will be their leader. The reason for the classes joining together is because the Alliance and the Horde can't work together so we will say fuck this I'm out of here and form our own faction. (Hells yeah, Darion Morgraine prepare to be overthrown. ^^) Each classhouse will be hosted on different parts of the map, Shamans will overlook the Maelstrom, Paladins will be in Light's Hope Chapel and Warlocks will be in a Legion dominated world. These classhouses will be the personal playgrounds for those specific classes where you will only see other players of your class and they'll work as capitals.

Another feature we'll get is champions which is what Blizzard considers an improvement upon the Garrison followers system you'll far fewer of them but they will all play a grander role. Many of these will also be already famous characters such as Lady Liadrin for Paladins. These champions are intended to not do things instead of you but rather do things besides you and help you slay greater foes.

As for dungeons we will have Valor, a zone inspired be Valhalla where we will see the origin of the Valkyr, the maidens of light and not the servants of the Lich King that we saw in WotLK. We have Black Rook Hold that anyone familiar with War of the Ancients will remember as the home of lord Kur'Talos Ravencrest who ruled over Suramar among other locations. There will be the Vault of the Wardens where you'll start your hunt for Illidan, in case you don't know this is where Maiev kept Illidan locked in for 10 000 years. Dungeons have also been promised to be more plentiful than previous expansions and carry a larger meaning and give you a reason to enter them even after you enter the raid tier.

Now raids, first we have the Emerald Nightmare, this is very important because the game developers say that here we will end the corruption of the Emerald Dream. To end the corruption we need to destroy the corruption's heart which is the Rift of Aln where N'Zoth slumbers. Although it's never specifically said that N'Zoth will be there it seems pretty safe to assume so. Second we have Suramar Palace with Gul'Dan as the final boss and after this he'll be done, a fading memory, an ex-warlock, deceased, gone, non-existent, a rotting corpse, dead.

We also have a new honor system that's less balanced around gear and more balanced around your dedication to pvp giving you permanent PvP traits that only work in places like BG's and Arenas.

All right so feel free to debate or discuss anything about the next expansion World of WarCraft Legion.

Level 12
It sounds TOO good to be honest. If they actually implement this expansion, everything we hold dear will come to an end. This is all what we've been waiting for and this might actually be the end of WoW. At least the end of a good story though. Everything after this expansion would be nothing but useless bullshit because WoW is all about the defense against the legion. Maybe they'd bring in a couple of Old Gods after this but it still wont be the same.

Level 24
Ehhhh, meh, I'll wait and see. Hope they don't screw this up but it sounds good I guess.

Well here are going to be a few steps that always happen every time a new expansion is revealed and eventually released.

1. The expansion will get super hyped. (Unless it contains pandarens.)
2. The game comes out and the honeymoon phase will initiate and everyone will say how amazing every single aspects of the game is.
3. Everyone will have reached max level and be overwhelmed by the quantity of content and like mindless zerglings try to do everything every week until they are worn out by doing the same repetitive stuff over and over.
4. Everyone will go into the newly opened raid with blue gear, no experience and complain that the new raids are way to difficult stating that Blizzard needs to cater to casuals.
5. Blizzard nerfs the bosses and people start complaining that Blizzard doesn't cater to the hardcore audience. Sometimes the people in stage 4 and 5 are the same people like my paragon of a boyfriend can demonstrate. :D
6. Next patch comes out and and stage 4 and 5 plays on repeat (with the exception of blues being old RF gear) until the next expansion is announced.
7. This happens when the next expansion is announced and people become overjoyed about the fact that they now can farm the same items, kill the same mindless bosses in new slightly better looking locations.

If these stages are not representative of how the next expansion plays out I will pay you 50 hivebucks. Regardless of what the game is actually like these will always be the complaints. As for whether or not the experience sucks, I hope not. Positive thing is it probably wount be worse than Cata but negative thing is it probably wont be better than WotLK.

It sounds TOO good to be honest. If they actually implement this expansion, everything we hold dear will come to an end. This is all what we've been waiting for and this might actually be the end of WoW. At least the end of a good story though. Everything after this expansion would be nothing but useless bullshit because WoW is all about the defense against the legion. Maybe they'd bring in a couple of Old Gods after this but it still wont be the same.

As I've said every time they've announced a new expansion they've made promises they can't keep and this one wont be any different. But you're forgetting one foe even scarier than the Legion, the Old Gods. (At least in my opinion.)

Level 25
Woot! Alleria has returned, Sylvanas has returned, Genn finally got his own model, ILLIDAN is back, Gul'shit is back, Maiev is fuckin back, and Anduin finally ugh dunno but woah he's awesome right now. Hoping to see Wration, new heroes like Yrel for Alliance, Durotan for Horde and Grommash for neutral. Can't wait!

Well here are going to be a few steps that always happen every time a new expansion is revealed and eventually released.

2. The game comes out and the honeymoon phase will initiate and everyone will say how amazing every single aspects of the game is.
3. Everyone will have reached max level and be overwhelmed by the quantity of content and like mindless zerglings try to do everything every week until they are worn out by doing the same repetitive stuff over and over.
4. Everyone will go into the newly opened raid with blue gear, no experience and complain that the new raids are way to difficult stating that Blizzard needs to cater to casuals.
5. Blizzard nerfs the bosses and people start complaining that Blizzard doesn't cater to the hardcore audience. Sometimes the people in stage 4 and 5 are the same people like my paragon of a boyfriend can demonstrate. :D
6. Next patch comes out and and stage 4 and 5 plays on repeat (with the exception of blues being old RF gear) until the next expansion is announced.
7. This happens when the next expansion is announced and people become overjoyed about the fact that they now can farm the same items, kill the same mindless bosses in new slightly better looking locations.

If these stages are not representative of how the next expansion plays out I will pay you 50 hivebucks. Regardless of what the game is actually like these will always be the complaints. As for whether or not the experience sucks, I hope not. Positive thing is it probably wount be worse than Cata but negative thing is it probably wont be better than WotLK.)

Just in general, I think the WoW expansions could've worked better in an RTS, the stories are "fine" (could do with some improvements which would no doubt come about due to not being in a MMORPG format) but the gameplay and general problems as highlighted by yourself prove it would've been better if all these stories of fighting the Lich King, Illidan and the Horde Alliance War would've been done more justice by Warcraft 4 and maybe a few expansions.

Level 24
Woot! Alleria has returned, Sylvanas has returned, Genn finally got his own model, ILLIDAN is back, Gul'shit is back, Maiev is fuckin back, and Anduin finally ugh dunno but woah he's awesome right now. Hoping to see Wration, new heroes like Yrel for Alliance, Durotan for Horde and Grommash for neutral. Can't wait!

Actually since they're promoting classhouses I would guess we get to see something like Alleria joining the hunter house and Turalyon the paladin house. It would be amazing to see people have an actual reason for playing other classes. Imagine the possibilities as a death knight you'd be able to work out a deal with Sylvanas to make her give you Koltira who she has tortured into a mindless husk. I want to see that. ^^

Illidan and the Horde Alliance War would've been done more justice by Warcraft 4 and maybe a few expansions.

Oh I agree with you there story always comes in secondary in WoW while in WCIII it felt primary.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Are they going to create some new characters already, or are they going to reincarnate every single major character we killed whenever they need an idea for a new expansions?

This expansion seems promising, though. They were experimenting a bit with Warlords of Draenor, and now they're back in their comfort zone. I hope it works out well for them.

@Razosh: Don't forget Thal'dranath!

I love the class hubs. Great idea.

And the scenery is gorgeous. I love this theme far more than the past two xpacs. Can't wait to hear the music!

@Imperator: Haha. Sadly WoW likes to bring people back--it is pretty annoying. But I guess no one can argue with Illidan being brought back. I mean, he is Illidan! I just hope they don't portray him as a bad guy again. He may have craved power and made questionable allegiances, but I never thought he filled the archetypical "WoW bad guy" role that characters like Gul'dan, Deathwing, etc. filled.

Level 21
I really hope for the next expansion we will have playable races.

Stonemaul Clan Ogres playable race for Horde, Renegade Group of Naga playable for Ally.
I don't mind Legion, but would of preferred something else like the South Seas/Maelstrom (The Eye).

Level 9

If these stages are not representative of how the next expansion plays out I will pay you 50 hivebucks. Regardless of what the game is actually like these will always be the complaints. As for whether or not the experience sucks, I hope not. Positive thing is it probably wount be worse than Cata but negative thing is it probably wont be better than WotLK.

As I've said every time they've announced a new expansion they've made promises they can't keep and this one wont be any different. But you're forgetting one foe even scarier than the Legion, the Old Gods. (At least in my opinion.)
The 1. one.... I could say Vanilla sucked, because it introduced Gnomes. Pandas are a much lorerich race than those shifty midget dwarves called Gnomes. I mean seriously Gnomes are the stupidest playable race so far. Second would be Pandas, but still Pandas arent the worst.
Anyway if they dont cut like half the announced things like they did with WoD, this new expansion might actually save WoW really good. The population will probably rise to like 8 million and stay there or like change after some time like 7,9 million or 8,1 million.

I'll just shamelessly copy and paste this in from the news thread:

Am I the only one who finds every single of the announced features stupid?

1) Broken Isles... seriously? Why not Kul'Tiras? Why give us some uninhabited random boring caribic islands when we could have a fucking pirate expansion instead?

2) Demon Hunter... Blizzard; just why? Blizzard said themselves that the demon hunter has too much in common with warlocks and rogues, hence why there will never be a demon hunter class. And they were right! Rogues and warlocks have too much in common with DHs. Why now throw this reasoning away instead of giving us an actual new class like the bard?

3) Artifacts. Sheesh. Basicly heirlooms with a skill system? Sorry, but not impressed. Is this DOTA or an MMORPG? Also, hello ultimate boredom without any more weapon drops in the game. -_-

4) No other cool features. Why not ships and naval battles? It's a friggin' island expansion FFS.

5) Also, legion expansion. Which basicly means the final boss will be Sargeras. Which basicly means that this is the final expansion.

maroney.jpg

There is literally just one thing I like about the new expansion so far: class specific questlines. That's it.

Seriously, Blizzard has to step up their game if they can't even bring a die-hard warcraft fanboy like me back.

This reveal feels like a pointless accumulation of bullet points with triggers for the weak-minded that can't see through the bells and whistles.
This is what you see when you try to read between the lines:

1) we are too scared to implement actual new gameplay elements to the game after the Garrison debacle. Changing the combat system to something more action orientated? Maybe with active evasion/blocking mechanics? No fucking way! People like mindlessly mashing buttons repeating the same rotation over and over and over...
2) we need at least a new class or a new race or we can't bring the leveling crowd back... hmm... let's just revive an idea we have thrown into the trash long ago. What, warlocks have demon form already? Well screw them, we just add HORNS to nightelves and everyone will lose their mind!
3) people complained about the lack of customization... but we already revamped the talent system. What else could we do? Ah, fuck it, just add a second talent system instead of trying something innovative. People will buy it anyway.

Actually... now that my initial rage has somewhat calmed down, I can say that what remains is only disappointment. Disappointment because - again - blizzard is playing it safe. Squeeze out the money as much as possible. Stay away from trying to innovate the game. And stay away from all the progress the genre has made over the last decade (action combat [TERA, Wildstar], voice acted story-driven quests [SWTOR], open world content [Archeage Naval battles and trading] and zone events [RIFT, Warhammer], Siege PVP [ESO, Archeage, AOC]).

Last edited:
Level 24
Are they going to create some new characters already, or are they going to reincarnate every single major character we killed whenever they need an idea for a new expansions?

To be fair Illidan's return has been requested for a very long while by numerous people so I don't think it's desperate... yet. Lets just hope that this doesn't become a habit.

This expansion seems promising, though. They were experimenting a bit with Warlords of Draenor, and now they're back in their comfort zone. I hope it works out well for them.

I hope so too sadly reality rarely lives up to their full expectations. I'm not saying this expansion is doomed to be bad in anyway, I really hope it's good.

@Razosh: Don't forget Thal'dranath!

They didn't mention anything about Thal'dranath sadly, Thal'Dranath is obliviously darnassian or old darnassian for something but the word has never been heard before so it's hard to make assumptions.

I love the class hubs. Great idea.

You and me both it's such an amazing idea and I hope I get to command Darion and Koltira personally, that would be so awesome.

And the scenery is gorgeous. I love this theme far more than the past two xpacs. Can't wait to hear the music!

I wouldn't say Pandaria was that bad the zones all looked very different but I agree that they all (apart from maybe Dread Wastes) shared the same worn out theme. I don't think we've had a continent this diverse since WotLK. (That is if they give us all the zones they promised. :D)

@Imperator: Haha. Sadly WoW likes to bring people back--it is pretty annoying. But I guess no one can argue with Illidan being brought back. I mean, he is Illidan! I just hope they don't portray him as a bad guy again. He may have craved power and made questionable allegiances, but I never thought he filled the archetypical "WoW bad guy" role that characters like Gul'dan, Deathwing, etc. filled.

Well Chris Metzen did say "I'm a sucker for a good redemption story" when asked about Illidan so I wouldn't be to scarred. Not to mention that the people who play as Demonhunters will be the former elite of the Illidari so his position seems pretty safe.

I really hope for the next expansion we will have playable races.

I think it would make more sense to add either High Elves or Furbolgs, that way they wouldn't have to make new zones for them which means more time could be spent developing the end-game.

Anyway if they dont cut like half the announced things like they did with WoD, this new expansion might actually save WoW really good. The population will probably rise to like 8 million and stay there or like change after some time like 7,9 million or 8,1 million.

I hope so but I'm a bit more skeptical than you I think WoW's decline is imminent as MMO's have moved out of the mainstream media.

I'll just shamelessly copy and paste this in from the news thread:

Am I the only one who finds every single of the announced features stupid?

1) Broken Isles... seriously? Why not Kul'Tiras? Why give us some uninhabited random boring caribic islands when we could have a fucking pirate expansion instead?

I truly doubt a pirate expansion is a good idea, in fact it sounds like a pretty crappy one, could it be cool yes but it would completely gloss over all the already missing plot holes. In this expansion Blizzard seems to aim for answering as many of them as possible. And I agree that there is one better expansion but it is the nagas and N'Zoth expansion, where we'd visit Zandalar and deal with the Zandalari once and for all. Besides if Kul'Tiras is supposed to be a continent how's it supposed to fit in between Khaz'Modan and Hillsbrad? A pirate expansion just seems like the weirdest accumulation of bullshit ever and would rather than answer questions only issue more of them.

Also, hello ultimate boredom without any more weapon drops in the game. -_-

Ok, here you might be overreacting more than a little bit, I'm pretty sure the removal of relics wasn't the trigger for WoW's decline in subscriptions. Besides in MoP cloak drops where useless as you already had your legendary and the same goes for one of the rings in WoD.

4) No other cool features. Why not ships and naval battles? It's a friggin' island expansion FFS.

I think Blizzard has already bitten of more than they can chew with the promises they've already made besides we have naval battles in WoD. And in case you want to know what they look like if we participate in them just look at the scenario in MoP which I for one at least did not care for at all.

5) Also, legion expansion. Which basicly means the final boss will be Sargeras. Which basicly means that this is the final expansion.

We still have pleanty of antagonists to deal with Azshara and the fifth Old God comes to mind.

I think this expansion is full of potential and so does pretty much everyone else both here and over at the WoW-EU forums. Whether or not the developers live up to those expectations I'm a bit more sceptical about.

1) we are too scared to implement actual new gameplay elements to the game after the Garrison debacle. Changing the combat system to something more action orientated? Maybe with active evasion/blocking mechanics? No fucking way! People like mindlessly mashing buttons repeating the same rotation over and over and over...

To be fair several MMO's have already tried crazy stuff and they've all failed. Einstein defined insanity as attempting the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Besides the people who play WoW are clearly content with how it already is otherwise they wouldn't pay for it, so why change it? It seems idiotic to remake the game completely in hopes to change one fanbase for another.

@Zwiebelchen: (1) random and boring? :eek: They're amazing. And I'm confident they'll do a Kul'tiras expansion eventually.

I would've liked a bigger revamp, but honestly they fucked up with it in the past (start of cata, ability prune in WoD) so I'm actually kind of happy that they're focusing on adding content. They don't have to add new mechanics as a whole, they just need better class mechanics. I'm hoping their focus on "class feel" will improve the classes, but I suppose I won't know until they release more info. But the PvP talent tree is a good start. After the prune, they removed any ability that had any situational power or they merged abilities together. I'm hoping the devs are smart enough to add some decent abilities to compensate during this xpac.

And although I never personally shipped demon hunters as a class, the abilities seem pretty awesome. They succeeded with monk--hopefully they'll succeed with DH.

Anyway, I suppose we'll have to wait until Blizzcon (or this Sunday) to see if there are any interesting new features that haven't been mentioned yet. One note in particular:
- The survival hunter artifact is a polearm. Perhaps it doubles as a ranged weapon? Or maybe this is the return of melee huntard. Who knows.

@Razosh: Ah yeah, I wasn't insinuating that MoP was bad. I loved how they implemented the asian theme into it all. Honestly, if I put the pandas aside, it is gorgeous as well. By "theme" I just meant the Mogu/Panda conflicts + the pandaren history, and the feel of some of the zones. But maybe I'm just an Illidan fanboy.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

To be fair Illidan's return has been requested for a very long while by numerous people so I don't think it's desperate... yet. Lets just hope that this doesn't become a habit.

I like Illidan myself, but using the glory of the old characters is not the answer, which I think WoD proves the best.

I hope so too sadly reality rarely lives up to their full expectations. I'm not saying this expansion is doomed to be bad in anyway, I really hope it's good.

Since they're losing subs, they're backing up into the comfort zone, as I said. This one was requested a lot as much as I've noticed, so it should be sort of a comeback, but I somewhat doubt this one will be THE expansion.

Level 39
I can see Blizzard is not yet done with screwing up their lore.

As if killing off major characters in order to create weak boss-battles wasn't enough, now they have to give everyone the Doomhammer/Ashbringer/Epic lore artifact? All in order to appeal to players' vanity and make them feel like they're boss. It's a bit pathetic imo.

If the end boss is truly going to be Sargeras I think I might just lose the bit of respect I had left for Blizzard, and they will have finally f'ed up any chance of making a decent sequel to WC3.

Level 25
All you guys asking for new races all the time, I'm just curious..
Doesn't it get boring having to level up a new character every expansion, or is that part of the thrill?

I would think that getting more endgame content like Demon Hunter classes and alike would be more fun that getting a new race.

Level 24
whom should have no powers.. plot hole? She's just a normal dragon now? (needless to say, dragons are no pushovers but still)

Clearly you've never read Dawn of the Aspects, Yseras daughter is clearly able to sense disturbances in the Emerald Dreams so they clearly still have a connection. In addition Ysera taught Cenarius the ways of druidism so clearly she has some understanding of the Emerald Dreams and doesn't just always tread there by accident. Every other race has the capacity to cast spells if they are taught the ways so why not dragons?

Level 24
Even after the events of cataclysm? They should have lost their Aspect powers..

They have been weakened to the level they would be at had they not been blessed by the titans they still have their knowledge though. Bronze dragons can still as evidently seen in WoD manipulate time, it is far more exhausting for them though. Kalecgos can still cast arcane spells as displayed on numerous occasions. If it is impossible for anyone to enter the Emerald Dreams without the aid of the titans how can Cenarius do it, how can Malfurion do it, how can Hamuul do it?

Level 24
Never said that couldn't cast spells. A normal dragon got a mana poll that's bigger than Stormwind (don't take that statement too seriously). Just thought it'd be odd for Ysera to be in charge of the Emerald Dream without being as special as before.

Even if she's not as special she has every right to lead the charge in Legion. She taught Cenarius the ways of druidism, without her there would be no druids to speak of. And she's still a gigantic f-ing lizard that breathes fire that's far from nothing. According to WotA Alexstrasza is 100 times the hight of a mortal and even though Ysera was described in DotA as the runt of the family she's still pretty huge. ;)

Level 25
Legion = Burning Crusade 2 so that means Lich King = Wrath of the Lich King 2, Cataclysm 2 = Cataclysm 2, Pandaria = Mists of Pandaria 2.

Legion is more of a combination of our hopes and dreams.

1.Demon Hunter
2.Alleria and Turalyon
3.South Seas
4.Naga
5.Illidan
6.Ralle in WoW
7.Emerald Dream
8.Burning Legion Expansion
9.New Hero Class
10.Female Hero

Level 12
@Razosh
To be honest, I think Sargeras and the Legion is pretty much the life blood of the entire game. They pretty much started EVERYTHING we love and hold dear. If they actually make Sargeras the final boss, WoW would officially be over in my book. Also, I actually find the Old Gods such a bore. They have no real purpose and all they do is sleep. Sure yeah they pretty much caused the Cataclysm but its pretty boring to see WoW with just Old Gods and faceless b*tches rampaging all willy nilly across Azeroth. Plus, after the Legion I doubt that there's a more threatening force other than Sargeras. Its just that the Old Gods don't give off the same aura and evil presence like Sargeras. I mean he STARTED EVERYTHING by Elune's butt hair. Just my opinion though.

I truly doubt a pirate expansion is a good idea, in fact it sounds like a pretty crappy one, could it be cool yes but it would completely gloss over all the already missing plot holes. In this expansion Blizzard seems to aim for answering as many of them as possible. And I agree that there is one better expansion but it is the nagas and N'Zoth expansion, where we'd visit Zandalar and deal with the Zandalari once and for all. Besides if Kul'Tiras is supposed to be a continent how's it supposed to fit in between Khaz'Modan and Hillsbrad? A pirate expansion just seems like the weirdest accumulation of bullshit ever and would rather than answer questions only issue more of them.
I obviously didn't talk about an expansion only about pirates. That would be stupid. But with all the established lore about Kul'Tiras, it's just weird that they insist of not letting us explore it.

Ok, here you might be overreacting more than a little bit, I'm pretty sure the removal of relics wasn't the trigger for WoW's decline in subscriptions.
Absolutely not. It was the endless recycling and sheer boredom of mashing buttons on fixed rotations to accumulate more stats after the always same recipe for over 10 years.

Besides in MoP cloak drops where useless as you already had your legendary and the same goes for one of the rings in WoD.
Don't even get me started on the cloak debacle. One would have thought Blizzard learned their lesson from that. And cloaks were only a minor piece of gear nobody cared about as they look like crap anyway. Now we give everyone the same weapon. Woo-fucking-hoo.

I think Blizzard has already bitten of more than they can chew with the promises they've already made besides we have naval battles in WoD. And in case you want to know what they look like if we participate in them just look at the scenario in MoP which I for one at least did not care for at all.
Promises? Which promises? All I see is just more of the same. There is literally nothing that spices the core gameplay up in any way.
Call me spoiled, but after playing Tera, Rift, Archeage, Guildwars 2 and Wildstar, I just don't find tab-target combat and themepark-on-rails all that appealing anymore.
Also, what naval battle? You mean that joke of a glorified static PvE ship battle instance?

After seeing real open world PvP ship battles in Archeage, that just feels like a lame joke.

I think this expansion is full of potential and so does pretty much everyone else both here and over at the WoW-EU forums. Whether or not the developers live up to those expectations I'm a bit more sceptical about.
That's probably because the remaining players don't actually want innovation. They are there to play their 10 year old game like they used to.
If Blizzard really wants to bring new players in, they'll have to do more than that.

To be fair several MMO's have already tried crazy stuff and they've all failed.
They never failed in their innovative aspects. They failed because of everything else and bad management:

SW:TOR: Failed because it only appealed to Star Wars fans. They fucked it up with boring fed-ex quests and a really bad F2P model. Nobody ever complained about what SW:TOR brought new to the table.

Rift: Failed because it was too much of a WoW clone and the engine was poorly optimized. The Rifts as open world PvE events were initially amazing, with entire quest hubs getting eradicated, but then got more and more static and WoW'ed.
The housing in Rift is ridicolously good. I'd go as far to say that the housing in Rift is the best housing system ever created. So good that I really wonder how Blizzard could fuck that up royally years after Rift established the right formula for it.

TERA Online: Never actually failed yet. It's still going pretty well with a decent F2P model. The weak points are the boring repetitive quests and some PvP imbalance (and the asian looks if you're not into it). However, the selling point of TERA is and always was the action combat. And nobody ever left TERA because of the action combat. Because it's fucking amazing.

Wildstar: Failed because it wasn't F2P right from the get go. The housing (albeit not as good as Rift's) is great. The combat is extremely fun. It died from bad management, not bad gameplay.

Archeage: Proved that you can successfully merge the addictiveness of farmville with a themepark MMO. The naval battles are amazing. Trading was surprisingly fun aswell. The game died from a lack of themepark content and a lack of rewards for the open world PvP, not from the sandbox elements. Also, they screwed up the F2P model royally and didn't care fixing gamebreaking bugs in time.

ESO: Died from poor PvE content and bad monetization, such as bad game performance in PvP battles. The PvP battles were actually pretty amazing had the game been better optimized technically.

Eve Online: Never actually died. In fact, Eve is the only MMO that still gains subscribers instead of losing them. Almost everything about this game gives any hardcore nerd a raging boner. The only downside is that it's friggin' inaccessable for anyone who doesn't have a degrees in economics.

Guild Wars 2: Fucking boring grind quests destroyed an otherwise amazing game.

So what do we see here? All of these games excelled in one or two things. Some excelled so hard that they still have a loyal fanbase (Rift, Tera).
They all failed for reasons that were pretty obvious. Mostly a lack of content or lack of money. WoW HAS the content. WoW has the money. They can afford innovating the game. In fact, to innovate WoW, you don't even have to be innovative at all. Just pick the concepts from the competitors that are stellar and copy them. Nobody would care about Blizzard stealing a thing or two, considering Blizzard basicly invented the modern MMO formula in the first place.

I just don't get why Blizzard just refuses to steal from it's competitors.

It's so simple:
- copy Rift's housing. BOOM, instant epic win. And you know what's awesome? It's completely cosmetical, yet people are addicted to it.
- copy naval battle, the crafting system (minus the RNG shit) and open world trading system from Archeage. BOOM, instant extremely social game.
- copy TERA's combat mechanics. BOOM, dungeons are fun again! Playing healer or tank feels rewarding again.
- copy EVE's monetization model. Like, literally; what are you waiting for?

You can thank me later, Blizzard.

Einstein defined insanity as attempting the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Actually, there is no evidence that Einstein ever said this. Not that it matters, but that quote is so annoyingly persistent that I feel the need of pointing that out just to stroke my ego.

Besides the people who play WoW are clearly content with how it already is otherwise they wouldn't pay for it, so why change it? It seems idiotic to remake the game completely in hopes to change one fanbase for another.
Obviously, it works. But then they are losing subscribers left and right. A bit of innovation could actually bring players back that quit WoW for the boring repetitiveness. Players like me who played WoW since Vanilla Beta and dig the franchise. Players who quit because they don't want to be a rat in a treadmill when playing a game.
I've grown up. I just don't want to pointlessly spam the ever same skill rotations anymore. It's just getting old.

Wow... that was quite a rant. I apologize. It's just that this expansion - for me - symbolizes the thing that made me quit WoW: stagnation.

Level 25
one of the interesting things about new races is the new starting zone. as long as i am using a free account only i can only go up to level 20 so the starting zones is all i have. i do hope that the new class will not be night elf only.

Maybe it's like the DK, you could make one but if you log out you can't log in again, It's pretty fair to be honest, as we're just starters. And we can only roll elves(NE and BE) to be lorewise but still cool.

Level 21
would anyone like to have the Stonemaul Clan Ogres as a playable race for Horde?
I would love to play a Ogre Mage and got everything ready for it.
like bags, glyphs, where the spells are going etc...

Ogres would be a cool race. But they are gigantic. It would be pretty hard to fit it into the current content (even the ogre transforms use your original collision, so you end up clipping your head through buildings and stuff).

In other news: survival hunter is confirmed to be a melee spec with a pet! (perhaps they'll have a mix of ranged/melee) BM is still pet oriented. Marks will no longer have a pet.

I'm personally glad. Hunter talent trees were super homogenized once they all became PvE oriented. Changing specs was practically seamless and offered really nothing different except that survival had a lot of dots/procs. I'm excited to see what changes they make.

And demonology is moving back towards demons. Hooray! I loved the concept of metamorphosis as much as the next guy, but demo lost a lot of its good ol' pet-oriented abilities. Gameplay became centered around demon bolt, and while it was certainly fun--it was infringing on destruction playstyle. I still hope they implement things similar to metamorphosis or dark apotheosis. Those abilities were fun, and the spec actually felt unique because of it.

Level 21
There are some Ogres smaller than Tauren even in the Tauren Starting Zone with the Venture Company. So yeah...So don't worry about their sizes, but I am really still excited to play one.

Yeah...
Hunters will have a melee spec now which is Survival, with Beast Mastery (Ranged Spec with pet), and then another spec Markenship which is (Ranged Spec without pet).

Status
Not open for further replies.