• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Built Places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Hello, I was just wondering if someone has tried building your own place on a private server some time? I've done it a few times in the past even though I am currently working on second serious project.

Even though it might not look like a lot, do not forget that I have to place objects inside the houses as well, that's one of the things that takes up a lot of time.

WoWScrnShot_073014_011910.jpg

If someone wants to see how it works I recorded myself working on it, in 4x speed.

Last edited:
Level 2
Personally, I've never played on a private server. WoW hates them (I can't risk being banned.), they're illegal in most cases (Unless you find a way to pay WoW through it.), and personally, I'm afraid I'll get a virus. :|

Level 29
At our private server admins used to do event days where they construct an ascending platform maze with ladders which was generally hard to climb without falling down and had places where you need to milimetrically jump to get to the next platform(Tomb raider difficulty). Everyone begins at bottom at same time and got a set time to climb it, has 3 checkpoint-platforms throughout if you fall down you would be teleported to the latest checkpoint. They changed pieces of this maze each time so you couldnt learn the whole. When this event occured they closed the isle in Loch Modan with walls, made the maze over it then teleported us in. At each checkpoint there was a vendor with the currency and extras for first 3 reaching the very top. One more thing i do remember the top was very high and we used to parachute our way down to arathi highlands after(some of us preffered 'suicide show' into the lake instead :D )
This was done because some dungeons were bugged and had to obtain the currency rewards somewhere meanwhile till get fixed and admins werent ok with giving away shit free like that, they wanted us to earn it.

There have been several private servers dedicated to this 'creating new places in WoW' thing. One of them their aim was to create an entirely different world using what wow has to offer(however only for wandering around in it, like a garden) whilst another had attempt a starcraft total conversion(and Blizz hammered on their heads real quick ofcourse :( )

Level 24
Rules! said:
No discussions about private servers. This includes but is not limited to
  • Linking/distributing private servers made by you or other people.
  • Linking/distributing tutorials and guides on how to create your own private server.
  • Asking for sites/services that provide the above.

This rule seems really clear. "No discussions about private servers."

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
This rule seems really clear. "No discussions about private servers."
The administration talked this over and decided to change the rule. It now says "No advertisement of private servers." Which we feel is more why we put the rule in its place.

Basically it's not there to shut down modding experiments with private servers completely, but to shut down attempts to advertise popular private servers, etc.

Sorry for the confusion. Carry on.

Level 24
The administration talked this over and decided to change the rule. It now says "No advertisement of private servers." Which we feel is more why we put the rule in its place.

Basically it's not there to shut down modding experiments with private servers completely, but to shut down attempts to advertise popular private servers, etc.

Sorry for the confusion. Carry on.

Thank you for the clarification, I'm glad to have that straightened out seeing as in the past I've received different answers from different admins, which has made the entire rule-system rather confusing. :)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Thank you for the clarification, I'm glad to have that straightened out seeing as in the past I've received different answers from different admins, which has made the entire rule-system rather confusing. :)
Yeah, as far as I recall before I edited it a few weeks ago, it hadn't been edited since brad.dude03 did it in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.