[Log in / Register]
| News | Chat | Pastebin | Donations | Tutorials | Rules | Forums |
| Maps | Skins | Icons | Models | Spells | Tools | Jass | Packs | Hosted Projects | Starcraft II Modding | Starcraft II Resources | Galaxy Wiki |
(Keeps Hive Alive)
Go Back   The Hive Workshop > Warcraft III > World Editor Help Zone

World Editor Help Zone Ask general questions about World Editor features and use in this forum. If you need help fixing a trigger, please post it in Triggers & Scripts. Please review the forum rules before posting.

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User Gothok
User

Gothok has little to show at this moment (2)
Peon Power! Wc3 Map too big?!?

Hi, i edited a Wc3 Map.

But: When i go to host it, it says: The Map Size is to big.

Or something like that...

How can I decrease it? ._.

Ty
Old 05-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User thekebecer
a random guys

thekebecer has little to show at this moment (22)thekebecer has little to show at this moment (22)thekebecer has little to show at this moment (22)
Read this there is a section about reducing file size in this tutorail. You can also use Vexorian's Optimizer.
EDIT: Optimizing your map will alos protect it and make it impossible to open in World Editor, so make backup.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User Gothok
User

Doesent helped me....
Old 05-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User BlinkforFear
'dubitably

BlinkforFear has little to show at this moment (22)BlinkforFear has little to show at this moment (22)BlinkforFear has little to show at this moment (22)
I would take out any added music or sounds(take up a ton of room), and also compress as many files as possible. I believe there are a few file compressors on this site somewhere, just do some digging. If worst comes to worst take out anything unnecessary such as extra terrain.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User Gothok
User

Peon Power! Map size

Hey, can someone here decrease the Map Size of my Map for me please? =(
Old 05-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User Kala
¿SıHʇ pɐƎɹ ∩ u∀ɔ

Kala is a jewel in the rough (239)Kala is a jewel in the rough (239)Kala is a jewel in the rough (239)
Scenario > Map Size and Camera Bounds

Then check the "Modify Map Bounds", and you can freely resize it.
Note:
The full map size must be a multiple of 32 in both dimensions.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User thekebecer
a random guys

thekebecer has little to show at this moment (22)thekebecer has little to show at this moment (22)thekebecer has little to show at this moment (22)
How big is your map?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User Magtheridon96
~ Join The Daily Peon ~

Magtheridon96 has a reputation beyond repute (2206)Magtheridon96 has a reputation beyond repute (2206)Magtheridon96 has a reputation beyond repute (2206)Magtheridon96 has a reputation beyond repute (2206)Magtheridon96 has a reputation beyond repute (2206)Magtheridon96 has a reputation beyond repute (2206)
Former Staff Member: This user used to be on the Hive Workshop staff. Merit Badge - Level 1: Great Assistant: Offers the best solution to other users, when all hope fades. Under the shell of assistance, lies a powerful knowledge in the fields. 
He meant the file size :-|

Just delete some unused models and objects if possible.
If you don't want to do that, then try to improve your code :)
GUI takes much more space then JASS and vJASS :) (Except in the case of Structs)
Old 05-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User Dr Super Good
Imperial Good

Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)
Merit Badge - Level 1: Great Assistant: Offers the best solution to other users, when all hope fades. Under the shell of assistance, lies a powerful knowledge in the fields. Former Staff Member: This user used to be on the Hive Workshop staff. User of the Year: 2010 
Optimize the map with vexorian's optimizer. That removes all editor only data (like the GUI data). Using JASS can still yield gains in filze size due to more efficient program flow and structure but those are nowhere near as big as from GUI to optimized map.

The map limit is as follows and is given in common unit meaning (not actual unit meaning).
Maplimit = 8 MegaBytes = 8192 KiloBytes = 8388608 Bytes

It is impossible to exceede this limit if the map is intended for online play.

Inorder to reduce filesize you will need to delete data from your map (remove content). Imported art is usually the largest user of space so start there. Optimizations to object number and triggers can also reduce filesize but very little.

If you use WEU, it is likly that it has bloated your map with over 1 MB of crap which you will need to remove.

Last edited by Dr Super Good; 05-16-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Fixing double post from thread merger.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User Miss_Foxy
Don't Mess With The Fox

Miss_Foxy is just really nice (318)Miss_Foxy is just really nice (318)
Unless you're making a Single Player game, the 8 MB limit still lies until Blizzard extends it.(Which I heard they might)
Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User Dr Super Good
Imperial Good

Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (3286)
Merit Badge - Level 1: Great Assistant: Offers the best solution to other users, when all hope fades. Under the shell of assistance, lies a powerful knowledge in the fields. Former Staff Member: This user used to be on the Hive Workshop staff. User of the Year: 2010 
Compressing graphics with a higher or more efficient compression can cut file size substantially as well as redcing the pixel size. Eg icons with pallet compression or loading screens with a larger JPEG compression setting. Reducing an image by half in both demensions will quarter its file size.

Yes having a 1080p loading screen is nice but you really can not afford the filesplace and most people will not notice the difference with lower resolutions.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User Chaosy
Chelsea

Chaosy is a splendid one to behold (940)Chaosy is a splendid one to behold (940)Chaosy is a splendid one to behold (940)Chaosy is a splendid one to behold (940)
PayPal Donor: This user has donated to The Hive. 
Its might be because your current game patch.
i was not able to host/play any dota map because of that.

download a new patch and it will work
Old 06-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User Miss_Foxy
Don't Mess With The Fox

Miss_Foxy is just really nice (318)Miss_Foxy is just really nice (318)
Information Hope This Helps!

Here are some suggestions I thought of: (Hope they'll help)

Highly Recommended

1. Use Vexorian's Map Optimizer to protect and compress the map.

2. Like what thekebecer suggested, read tutorials like this (Scroll round the bottom of it) to help you.

3. Sign this petition through this thread. (If you have a Battle.Net account)

4. Create a program, like how people made Project WarSoc before, to help give a new platform for the map to run. (This can be quite time consuming)

5. Find out the best and least space consuming way to write certain triggers, therefore helping reduce file size and still doing what it should do. (You can get some help if you want)

6. Remove leaks by checking it with the Leak Checker.

7. Pray for a miracle to happen.

Slightly Recommended

1. Remove access custom models/sounds/imports of any kind that aren't necessary.

2. Get a standard or low quality loading screen.

3. Edit the terrain to reduce it's quality and make it less space consuming.

4. Remove some map boundaries to take less space.

5. Delete some triggers that will not affect the game much.

6. Split your map into several 'parts' by creating different maps meant for different areas, for example. (You could use loading and saving for this even if it's not an RPG)

Not Recommended

1. Remake the map into a 'miniature' version of it.

2. You could try configuring it to be played on a Single Player based platform.

3. Transfer your map to Starcraft II. (I personally don't support this, due to the fact that I'm a die-hard Warcraft III supporter)

4. Hack into Blizzard's multiplayer system to configure it to allow maps of a higher file setting. (I don't support this either as it's illegal, do it at your own risk)

5. Drop the project and start on a new one. (It'll waste your previous efforts, though)
Closed Thread