• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A way to trigger Damage scaling by stat without Damage Systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Is there a way to do even simple Stat scaling damage without having to dabble into the various damage systems?
I'm not intending to make incredibly complex spells and triggers for my map so adding something like a damage system seems a bit overkill.

Last edited:
Level 6
That depends. I will get into detail if you specify.

Physical damage (normal attack) - Yes, if the unit is "melee". No if the unit is "ranged". You would use "A Unit is Attacked" event, but this method is abusable by spamming "stop" order since that event processes the moment any unit begins to try any attack once it is in range (before the animation). So yes it is possible but flawed. I have seen popular maps use this method so it's not that bad if you really don't want a damage system. There are workarounds such as placing a cooldown on that and a delayed timer to sync it to the attack but it will never be perfect. If the unit is ranged you won't be able to tell when the attack will reach the target in order to sync the bonus damage so it will be all out of whack.

Spell damage (ability cast) - Yes if the spell is triggered (i.e. entirely coded in trigger editor) and based off of an ability that does "nothing". This means you have to make the effect (i.e. you want firebolt? then you have to make a dummy unit with model fire of a firebolt and then you create that unit on your caster and then you move it towards the target unit then you have to detect it reaching its destination then you have to apply stun then you can deal stat based damage... a.k.a. very troublesome and might as well code your own unique spell). And the answer is no if the spell is from warcraft 3 (basically any spell you don't use trigger editor with, you can't do stat based damage). And no you cannot convert a warcraft 3 spell (i.e. starfall) to deal stat based damage using triggers without a damage system. With one it is very easy though.

Level 12
Also for attack damage, you can give an orb effect (environmend spears or something like that is the most common) ability to attacker unit to detect when a unit is hit by an physical attack.

Level 2
I only want the scaling damage onto triggered abilities.
Would it be possible to give scaling damage to a triggered ability that does Normal damage instead of spell damage? If not, I will just use spell damage for all abilities?

Also how troublesome are damage systems to install onto a map/WE? I don't have any knowledge of them.

Just install them (copy paste once or twice at best), then configure the modification trigger. (check for buffs, check for damager, etc.)
Would it be possible to give scaling damage to a triggered ability that does Normal damage instead of spell damage?
Since it's triggered, of course. You can change its damage.

Level 2
Just install them (copy paste once or twice at best), then configure the modification trigger. (check for buffs, check for damager, etc.)
Since it's triggered, of course. You can change its damage.

I was reading more on the stuff I found on google and found this

" Unit - Set life of (Target unit of ability being cast) to ((Life of (Target unit of ability being cast)) + (2 * (Real((Intelligence of (Triggering unit) (Exclude bonuses)))))) "

Is this doable with triggers only?
The person said it was supposed to add int scaling to holy light heal.

Level 24
If you want to heal a unit, use set life.
If you want to deal damage to a unit, use Unit Damage Target.
You can specify the damage type and you can add some custom variables as the damage.

You can do it without DDS for spells that have a set interval like Blizzard, Flame Strike, Thunder Clap, Holy Light, etc.
If you have Auto-Attacks or spells with a missile that will do damage on collision like Firebolt, Acid Bomb, Storm Bolt, etc. you need something to detect damage and then check for the debuff.

It all depends on what spell you want to deal bonus damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.