• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Unit Inquery. Sight Radius VS Trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Currently in my map I have on my advanced worker a set of racial torches. These are used to hold sight in the fog of war (Which creeps back in on my map, completely, pitch black.) However, I wanted them to reveal trees, or rather, see over trees, like a flying unit.

The easy solution is to simply change the movement type, but when this is done, when built near cliffs they float above the ground and this is unacceptable.

Are there any other ways of changing the way sight radius so that it meets my unreasonable demands?

(I realize that the occlusion height of trees can be changed, aaand thats my backup plan. but i'd rather not do that if I can avoid it, as darkness is a thing I use alot in my map.)

Level 3
I'll try the first method.

the second is less desireable as the AI won't target them as enemies.

Update, changing the fly height does nothing, as I assume because the height is already zero.

Level 10
You have to set the minimum flying height to negative if you want it below the ground. You could also make a request to a modeler to extend the length of the torch so it extends into the ground, so if there are any issues of floating, the extension will show. It's just like any building in wc3, the foundation extends deep into the ground, so there are no issues on curvy terrain.

Level 12
If a unit who's flying height is higher then a unit's height, or if they're equal, they'll be able to see past each other. If something is "Taller" than a unit's height or flying height, they can't see past them.

This is how trees work with blocking vision, I think.

Level 24
You can make the units flying and make them have a dummy model.
You give them an ability based of sphere.
The ability will have an attachment using the torch model placed on the origin of the unit.
(I think the origin was the ground center but I am not 100% sure.)

That would do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.