• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tower Defense?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I have been a long time player of both Warhammer 40k and Warcraft 3, and your warhammer tower defences have inspired me to make one. It would be a Armageddon campeign sort of thing and i have no experience in making tower defences. Please enlighten me as to the triggers and other technical stuff, and i can handle the rest.
Thanks,
Warcheif :?:

Level 2
Hehehe, you want us to write down how the triggers and such work ? I dunno if this forum has an size limit, if it has it wouldn't fit in here ^^. I suggest you use the mostly apraised Google search eninge and I think you'll came quite far :).

Level 14
Personally I recomend looking at a map Jacob made and he does not protect his maps, and many of his maps have already been altered by a large amount of people anyways. Become familiar with what he wrote and encoded and ask specific question you have from that.

Us trying to teach you how to make a TD from scratch is harder than teaching you how to play the standard game from the begining. IT takes a lot of time and effort to work and understand.

Also I recomend just "tinkering" with a map first so that you understand what all it does, there are a large pletora of variables and constants involved in even a simple attack, let alone everything else involved.

Level 2
However, if you build your own TD from scratch you will totaly understand how everything works when you finished it, it might be (a lot) more work but you'll learn much from it.

Level 21
you need three things:
patients
commitment
knowledge

once you have those you will be able to make one. the first thing i suggest is cheating a map, this is how i learnt; i made a version of line tower defence where i could buy items to give me different things like units and gold, i also made one to attack enemies towers :p.

Level 14
Do you know what projectile art is? Art arc? Missle type? Do you understand how splash works? Do you know how to create new spells? How about how to make models or skins? Do you know how to apply imported skins?

These are just some of the basics of creating a new map, so again, I recomend you alter an existing map first to understand how it works. Mess with things slowly so you better understand it, then when you feel up to it try it from begining to end.

To let you know what you are thinking of tho, after like 4 years of working extensively with the editor there are still things I do not understand about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.