• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is there a way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi there everybody.

Is there a way to change ability/research description somehow to show info from my variable rather than custom text? i tried to google it but failed badly 8(

i.e. i have 12 upgrades for race 1 and i would like to use em for race 2 rather than creating 12 more upgrades for the second race, but the problem is the description specifically shows which units would be affected by the upgrade and those are of the first race...

Help? Anybody? Please?

Level 3
erm...thought i've written it plain and fully...guess not xD

okay...so i'm makin an arena map with lots of upgrades...

at first i made only 1 playable race and 12 upgrades for that race...now i've done a second race and some other stuff. So the thing is the upgrades i've made shows in description smth like "boost damage for warrior and knight"... and i want to use those same 12 upgrades for the second race...but since the second race have zombie and skeleton instead of warrior and knight i need to change that description to show "boost damage for zombie and skeleton " so i could use the same 12 upgrades for the second race rather than making new ones...the question is: is there a way to do that?

i've seen abilities that shows smth like "current lvl of ability " rather that showing an exact lvl number but i couldn't find a way

Level 12
Even Blizzard uses 4 different upgrades for armor just to display different icon for each race, so I don't think it is possible.

Level 3
" launch rockets at nearby flying units each rocket deals <hrtt,mindmg2> - <hrtt,maxdmg2> points of damage "

above is the description of a skill " rockets " or smth like that (i have a rus version of WE so the translation is probably horrible". And here they use those min and max dmg strings to show the damage of the ability...that's the thing i'm probably looking for if that would inspire any thoughts 8)

Level 21
" launch rockets at nearby flying units each rocket deals <hrtt,mindmg2> - <hrtt,maxdmg2> points of damage "

above is the description of a skill " rockets " or smth like that (i have a rus version of WE so the translation is probably horrible". And here they use those min and max dmg strings to show the damage of the ability...that's the thing i'm probably looking for if that would inspire any thoughts 8)

I was thinking about that too but sadly I have no knowledge on how it works.

Level 3
I was thinking about that too but sadly I have no knowledge on how it works.

Mby you can help me fix the dialog box problem while i wait for smone who could probably know smth on the topic? 8)

the thing is the dialog is working just fine in single player but when i try to run it in multi it gives me a blank dialog box with no buttons and no description though every trigger is fine 8(

----UPD----
i got the dialog box to show up, but now when i press the bttn instead of showing second dialog with 2 more bttns i get bloody nothing...literaly nothing happens -_-

events in second box are almost identical to first...this gives me a pain in the ass already cus i spent half an hour trying to fix it through differend ways...pls smbd help o_O

Last edited:
Level 24
How the <> work inside a tooltip is very simple.
You access the data of a certain object with the id mentioned in the first part <hfoo, >
In the second part you access the data id of the object itself. <hfoo, dmg1>
Then that value will be translated to the exact same value of that field.
The only use I have seen so far is to load the data from abilities directly instead of changing the tooltip everytime when you change the data of it.

However, there are many situations that would not work so it is not recommended to rely on it...
Next to that... it will not work in your situation.

In this case, you dont even have to make dynamic tooltips...
You just have to not be lazy and make those damn 12 upgrades.
It isnt really that much.
When we were talking about 600, then yea it would have been quite something to look into but then again, it wouldnt be possible.

Level 3
However, there are many situations that would not work so it is not recommended to rely on it...
Next to that... it will not work in your situation.

thx for clarifying that for me 8) i'm not actually being lazy with it...i just thought that there might be another way to make those...

and yeah...there not only those 12 that i have to make for the second race...the total of upgrades would be ~200-250 upgrades for 6 races with 3-4 upgrade shops each

but anyway thx mate

Status
Not open for further replies.