• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

texture on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
As far as I know this is impossible, but I want to check anyway. Is there some way to show a texture on the screen? I think -Kobas- did something like that but I can't find it anymore so I can't prove it.

edit:
JASS:
call CinematicFadeBJ( bj_CINEFADETYPE_FADEIN, 0.00, "ReplaceableTextures\\CommandButtons\\BTNMagicLariet.blp", 0, 0, 0, 0 )

doesn't work sadly, but it would technically work. Even if it worked I wouldn't be able to select where I wanted it.

Last edited:
Level 15
Two options: use DGUI, which uses billboarded models and places them periodically so that they "appear" to be on the screen (they are really just moving with the camera). The other option is to use fade filters. Think TKoK with their quest messages. Just make a texture as big as you want and alpha out the other parts. Unfortunately, you can only have one filter on the screen, but it is still a useful technique.

Here is an example. I used fade filter to make a "background" for quest text when you interact with a unit:
attachment.php

edit: I didn't see your edit. Technically, if you make it large enough, you can sort of coordinate where it goes, but it is a lot of work, and you wouldn't be able to really do anything with it. Your best bet is to use:
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=102351

Or look at Shadows of Everwood. If you contact Tukki, maybe he'll give you the system. He is a nice guy. :) It is derived off of DGUI, afaik.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 5.57.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 5.57.01 PM.png
    374.8 KB · Views: 114

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I see..

Seems like option 1 is the only one for me. I will experiment a little and see if I can get it to work.

edit:

ok, so I ran into problem rather fast. So I am forced to use a destructable as dummy in order to have icons. (I wont convert everything to mdl!)

1. can't change height of it
2. can't change direction/facing (optional)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.