• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

String Manipulation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Is there a way i can export a string variable to a external text file in wc? For example in an RPG theres a code displayed when you save, is there a way i can store that code shown on screen to a player and it be saved to a text file on that triggering players comp in the wc3 folder?
Reason I wonder if this is even possible is because i saw this.
strings.jpg

Last edited:
Level 13
That could work.. idk i have a game where it has save code and it would be really cool if i could make it so players didnt always have to screen shot and write code down later etc..

It would be really neat if i could just have their code auto save to a txt file on their comp in the wc3 directory or something. and they could just copy it from there and paste it easy with no hassle also no mistakes of replacing a cap for lowercase, no human error.

Also a clan member made a program that can take that text code and load it so its automatically ready to be pasted from clipboard for next game :)
http://chf.ucoz.com/forum/41-134-1#431

as of now u have to type the code in by hand but if i could do this, everything could be auto which would be bad ass, plus the code is a bit longer now than before.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Writing data to hard drive requires the user to specify "enable local files" in the war3 settings, and it also does not work for some users (Nestharus has mentioned he can't play on battle.net with it enabled).

Save/load codes can get pretty long which is why Nestharus is working on Encoder 2.0 which has the shortest save/load codes in the game's history.

Level 13
Hes making something better than a 64bit system? how can he store more than 6 bits per character..?

anyway, so your saying this is not a good possible approach then? Can you give me an example of how its done so i can at least dink around with it a little, im not reak familiar with this topic. also i dont see where to enable local files in wac3 settings? maybe a quick explanation or screen shot would help :)

Level 13
i looked in the game options first before i asked and didnt see "enable local files" where else would it be?

also how could he do it different than a 64bit system with using a-z 0-9 and A-Z with 4 special's @ # $ %
0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz@#$%
if you dont know about this part i can go ask him nbd.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
No, unless you abuse the security exploit allowing the use of arbitary script code via the preload natives. This will almost certainly be removed eventually so do not bother using it.

Externalized strings are described in the line below. Basically it reads from a file located inside the map mpq.

I advise looking into SC2, there is has banks which allow the saving of all kinds of data much safer than WC3 can and all to disc (so no stupid load codes).

Status
Not open for further replies.