• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Screen freezes.Fatal eror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hi, I hope you will understant me :)
i have problem with my map https://www.epicwar.com/maps/259689/ im editing it, and i have no idea how to fix that problem.After 20-40 minuts of playing your screen freezes everything stops and u can only quit wc3(it doesnt happen for everyone it happens to one random player, then.After sometime it happens to next player ).Other players can see player who got screen freeze as lagger (i hope u know what i mean they see Waiting for players then they drop player.)Also sometimes random player gets fatal eror.Its like heartattack you dont know when, who will get it.PLEASE DONT SAY THAT I HAVE TOO WEAK COMP!!! BECAUSE ITS NOT TRUE!! IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE NOT ONLY to ME SO IT CANT BE FAULT OF MY COMP.Also as i noticed it happens only in my map, in other maps it doesnt. I really dont know what can be reason of that freeze.I dont do anything special when freeze happens.Im training same units as usually and attacking enemy.Maybe tigers are fault? map has a lot of tigers u can check it guys by dling map.Map has also timer.Btw next time when screen freeze will happen i will check if it happens when timer is 00:00 (u know when players gets income and 60 sec passed)
Help map is unplayable :(( Hmm could it be caused by too much units on map? i dont think so but my map has much units

Last edited:
It's not easy to have a total correct overview of the triggers, but I could not spot the bug for now.

Honestly I have not very understood your last statements.
Could you limit the bug source somehow with timers?
Some more information need to be provided.
Try to analyze when, with which events, with player/setting composition the bug occurs.

I know it's not easy to do so, but for us it's like impossible to do it.

Level 11
Ok i will try , i will give u answer soon .hmm im not surę but Germany often gets droped out AS frist .yesterdAy i got droped out when i was making units in France .i was GB.i forgot to look at timer.BTW my Tigers are in GUI languange is this fine? All ppł mąkę Tigers in jass.

The screen freeze would be a kernel level failure that cannot be resolved (eg stuck trying to restart the graphic driver in Vista+ or in an infinite loop so cannot detect BSoD).
I found this .Maybe its fault of some model.?Map has old models.Models from my map were made in 2008 .map has also a lot of regions.Can you check IF eternal loop happenes? Idk how to do it. eternal loop can be also reason of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The screen freeze would be a kernel level failure that cannot be resolved (eg stuck trying to restart the graphic driver in Vista+ or in an infinite loop so cannot detect BSoD).
Could you post the error report for this? Every time a driver crashes and has to be rebooted the operating system will log it in Event Viewer. If it is not logged there, then this is not the cause as the drivers have not been crashing.

BSoD is only thrown for unrecoverable kernel level errors. If the GPU driver is constantly crashing in a loop then by definition it is not unrecoverable. That said if it really is the graphic driver crashing then that is a hardware fault. Seeing how this affects more than just you it seems unlikely that many of the players have similar hardware faults. Additionally it is usually accompanied by glitch graphics.

Graphic drivers are actually quite hard to crash. If they are crashing a lot that is usually the result of defective hardware or driver bugs.

Freeze usually describes when WC3 stops updating the display. For example an infinite loop. If the graphic driver was crashing and constantly rebooting it would show no image and your display will undergo a resolution change.

Level 11
Could you post the error report for this? Every time a driver crashes and has to be rebooted the operating system will log it in Event Viewer. If it is not logged there, then this is not the cause as the drivers have not been crashing.

BSoD is only thrown for unrecoverable kernel level errors. If the GPU driver is constantly crashing in a loop then by definition it is not unrecoverable. That said if it really is the graphic driver crashing then that is a hardware fault. Seeing how this affects more than just you it seems unlikely that many of the players have similar hardware faults. Additionally it is usually accompanied by glitch graphics.

Graphic drivers are actually quite hard to crash. If they are crashing a lot that is usually the result of defective hardware or driver bugs.

Freeze usually describes when WC3 stops updating the display. For example an infinite loop. If the graphic driver was crashing and constantly rebooting it would show no image and your display will undergo a resolution change.

I really dont know if this that eror .resource of that eror is dhcp-client.Because there is a lot of things and i dont remember when i played my map and i got screen freeze
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client" Guid="{15A7A4F8-0072-4EAB-ABAD-F98A4D666AED}" EventSourceName="Dhcp" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1003</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-08T16:48:02.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>32974</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Emil-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>002522D0827C</Data>
<Data>%%1223</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
I will next time excatly check if there are any erors.The worst thing is that i dont get screen freeze in my map.- when i want screen freeze. It only happens when i dont want screen freeze .I was playing 5 times my map today in 2 frist game someone else got droped.In second i got droped i was making units then looking at another place.I dont think that it could cause screen freeze.Because i do it often and nothing happens.Timer was at 44 seconds when screen freeze hapenned.I will give you answer when i get some informations about screen freeze.Btw guys could you check if my map has memory leaks?Also is this fine that my tigers are done in gui languange? most of ppl use jass.I guess that tigers are reason of screen freeze.
Also in which category should i look for that eorr? eror that i posted is from category named system. Category named hardware events is empty .You might be right with saying Additionally it is usually accompanied by glitch graphics. Sometimes in my map some unit becomes red or black.Or building becomes black and i can see square on building.
Guys i got replay of game where i freezed http://storage.entgaming.net/replay/view_replay.php?file=7225060.w3g press download Download: 7225060.w3g to dl replay.Lol replay freezes aswell at end of replay.Like in game same moment where i freezed.You should check this.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ok this freeze is created on my system as well. It is some sort of infinite loop that Warcraft III gets into.

I ran Warcraft III in "-windowed" mode so that when it froze I could attach a debugger. Rough debugging shows that it still is doing stuff despite appearing frozen. What it is doing is hard to identify.

It appears to be initializing a large ~20,512,768 byte (~20 Megabyte) chunk of memory while frozen. In fact it seems to be initializing the same chunk of memory back and forth infinitely. It is even counting how many times it does in 1024 units each time.

It appears that this is part of Warcraft III's memory management allocation system. So it is allocating a 20 MB space repeatedly for some reason.

Some of the data touched has text like "?AVCLrPathingSys@NIpse@@" near it. So it could be pathfinder related.

The game is doing something to the 20 MB block of memory in some kind of loop.

It is getting stuck at Game.6F4A2F30(guessed Arg1,Arg2,Arg3,Arg4). This function call never returns.

That is all I can get from it. If only we knew what Game.6F4A2F30 was meant to do.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
so is there a way to fix it?
Yes, if you know what Game.6F4A2F30 does and why it is being called. I have no clue of both because I do not have the source code of Warcraft III and the assembly is illegal to reverse engineer and designed only ever to be used by a computer.

Copying it to a new map will probably do nothing, as the cause will most likely be copied across with it. I have no idea if this is import related but you could try removing all imports and using standard models to test if it makes a difference (the allocation might be I/O related, the fact it is 20 MB large).

Level 11
Yes, if you know what Game.6F4A2F30 does and why it is being called. I have no clue of both because I do not have the source code of Warcraft III and the assembly is illegal to reverse engineer and designed only ever to be used by a computer.

Copying it to a new map will probably do nothing, as the cause will most likely be copied across with it. I have no idea if this is import related but you could try removing all imports and using standard models to test if it makes a difference (the allocation might be I/O related, the fact it is 20 MB large).

meh it will be hard to test.freeze doesnt happen when i play alone .i dont think that players will want to play ww2 map with normal wc3 models. so its imported thing fault?are u sure? i can try switching all old models which were in map before i started editing it to other new and beter models will this work?then i can host game for fh.freeze mostly happens in fh game.sry my english isnt good. if i understood correct .shit which freezes my game has 20mb? nothing is that big in imported files

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
so its imported thing fault?
Maybe.

are u sure?
Not at all.

i can try switching all old models which were in map before i started editing it to other new and beter models will this work?
It might work if they are the cause.

if i understood correct .shit which freezes my game has 20mb?
It is infinitely manipulating 2 different ~20 MB large chunks of memory. These are first initialized to some values and then modified in some way. I think they might be dealocated before the next loop as they are always the same addresses and appear to have some sort of structure prefix (possibly for memory management) which would explain why it seems to swap them all the time from the MSC++ calls.

The infinite loop exit condition is when some member contained inside the memory is -1. It is always 0 (within so many tens of thousands of iterations) and hence the loop is likely infinite.

Game.6F4A2F30 is a function call in the game.dll file. Its actual dll address is probably different but this is the address given when the dll is loaded into the Warcraft III address space on my system. I would imagine it being static but honestly I do not know how dll files work exactly.

If one could know what that function did, then one could try to track down the cause. Looking further up on the stack trace I found "?AVCLrPathingSys@NIpse@@" which means it could be path finder related. The fact it only crashes for a single player however means it is likely something local (sound, graphic or player management).

In some other threads that run at the same time as the main thread the stack appears filled with some sort of death sound file path (HumanMale?). That could have been left over from a previous call before the game crashed or it could be involved in the crash. Infinitely reloading an asset would explain why it only affects some players at random times because assets like sounds are only loaded when they need to be heard which only happens when the camera is nearby.

This might not seem helpful. Warcraft III is a big game without public source code or good official support. I am having to go by assembly code produced from the x86 machine code. There are well over 100,000 lines of assembly in the Warcraft III application. Each of these lines has no human context to them, only giving pure processor based mechanics. All human readable stuff has been removed except for a few hard-coded constants and source code file names, both of which seem lacking in this particular part of the code. Although it is possible to identify the purpose of every function call, doing so takes hours each and no one has written a public guide which covers even a small fraction of the functions. As such I think this is certainly a good start to solving the problem.

We know where the freeze is occurring and what the freeze is. It is now the very difficult part of finding what is causing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.