• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Save system

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

What save system would you guys use for saving multiple heroes? Maybe I'm missing some, but none of the code generators really do what I want. If you've ever played Final Fantasy Epic RPG and seen their save system, I want one that works as efficiently as that one. Unfortunately the maker of that game did not give any credits, so I don't know which system that is.

- Nestharus's system is so huge and strange with so many requirements and seems incredibly inconvenient to modify, I don't even want to try to learn it.
- CodeGen by triggerhappy breaks very quickly when you put in many values (Currently I'm saving 98 different values, and when I do this, random values will return "5" instead of the thing I saved)
- According to many people, AceHart's save system does not work, and it has broken in other maps I used it in.
- Effane's Code System takes hundreds of lines of code to save a simple code, and mine is definitely not simple

Level 14
Nestharus's system is actually not so complicated if you take the time to learn it, assuming you have a good understanding of vJass. You should give yourself two hours to mess with it and you will get it. Although, I agree that the huge list of requirements is a pain.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

If that's a codeless one, it probably requires that players have local files on, which is not necessarily something I want to force (though I have to admit that IS cool).

I've created it with Acehart's and it works, but I still am a bit worried about it breaking. Nestharus wrote that it should be graveyarded, but the link to the reason why no longer works. Anyone know what's up with that and why using it is bad?

If that's a codeless one, it probably requires that players have local files on, which is not necessarily something I want to force (though I have to admit that IS cool).

I've created it with Acehart's and it works, but I still am a bit worried about it breaking. Nestharus wrote that it should be graveyarded, but the link to the reason why no longer works. Anyone know what's up with that and why using it is bad?

Because Acehart never released his 2.0 save/load system as well it can't save values above one million if I recall correctly.

CodeGen is the best save/load system out there right now, your 98 value's don't go over the 120 char limit do they? Could split it up into two save/load codes as well, that actually does work and players shouldn't mind minimizing twice.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

No, it's not close to 120 characters. It just.. loads the wrong stuff. Like, I save the number 13 and load the number 5. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't and that's not ok - it needs to be 100% successful. I'm definitely using it correctly (the same code on Acehart's works), and I've determined this by using debug messages after the variable is incremented in the save/load triggers.

I won't need anything over 1m for this game, so I suppose I'll stick with acehart's.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
What save system would you guys use for saving multiple heroes? Maybe I'm missing some, but none of the code generators really do what I want. If you've ever played Final Fantasy Epic RPG and seen their save system, I want one that works as efficiently as that one. Unfortunately the maker of that game did not give any credits, so I don't know which system that is.
FFEs save system was terrible. It basically concatenated hero levels into a string. With high enough hero levels it actually broke and the codes become unloadable.

You need to really think if you want to save/load dozens of heroes. If you do then you need to save only the bare minimum.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

What version of FFE did you last play? I have a code with every hero max level and full equipment on hero/spirit, and it loads fine. They may have changed it since you last played.

I'm only saving 4 heroes, but I need to save their inventories (different ones) and 4 abilities (you can learn/forget abilities).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
What version of FFE did you last play?
There have been updated to it in the last 5 years?

The last official ones by ILYAS did not break. However the ones from that guy who took over did because the maximum hero level was something stupid like 1,000.

They may have changed it since you last played.
Unlikely unless somehow development resumed.

I'm only saving 4 heroes, but I need to save their inventories (different ones) and 4 abilities (you can learn/forget abilities).
Why not a separate code for each? Or do players lug all 4 heroes around at all times?

Anyway the basic idea would be to save the hero types mapped via an array. The number of filled item slots for each hero. The items in each item slot for each hero. Finally your learnt abilities, mapped by an array. If the abilities are able to be leveled you need a level value for each.

Saving should operate like a stream/channel. Values are written to the system in a well defined order. Loading is the inverse with values being pulled in a well defined order. This is basically file I/O logic which you encounter when dealing with files in languages like Java and C++. It is slightly more tricky in WC3 because it is more difficult to make a clean API to do this however fundamentally it is the same.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

I think we're talking about different RPGs. The max in FFERPG is 99 on each character (which brings the max total level up to around 2000). The map is active and updating (the last update being August 2015).

All four heroes are connected. I don't want players to mix and match different characters from different saves. I know how to do a save (I used hashtables, not arrays though), I did it correctly, the problem is that there's no easy to use save system that always works. Acehart's is acceptable though, so I'm sticking with that and just not saving any very high values.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I think we're talking about different RPGs. The max in FFERPG is 99 on each character (which brings the max total level up to around 2000). The map is active and updating (the last update being August 2015).
It used to be 99, then some crack pot was given it by ILYAS when he stopped mapping and decided to add a broken class and raise the maximum level to over 9,000. After the fourth code reset I gave up even trying to play. Of course he only stuck to breaking the map for a few months before also giving up on it.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

No idea when that was, I never played that version. Map is currently being developed by Karifean who is quite reasonable. You should give it a try again; it's really very balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.