• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Save/Load System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusanagi Kuro

Hosted Project: SC
Level 10
I know that all ORPG maps give us a code when saved. But that code is just something like a password to access to the save inside the PC. When I try to load it from another PC, it doesnt work. So where exactly is the save?

Level 6
> And saves are local for the machine where it was saved, which means it won't transfer to another PC or laptop.

I recently changed PCs and I moved my saves over and they still work for me. Generally save systems are case sensitive with your username.

I really can't understand the question because the only problem I can think of is that the name's probably different when you loaded it, probably under another name when you saved. Unless you're referring to the actual saves inside Warcraft 3, which you can actually move them to another computer from Save folder in Warcraft 3 folder.

Level 9
The save/load code is not password for something stored on your computer.
Its a bunch of encrypted information.

If we want to save hero, level and items, our code can look like this:
HXXX-LXXX-IXXIXXIXXIXXIXXIXX

Every value is stored in a table, and when you enter the code, a trigger will look up the values and check if every value is vaild, and then create the hero, set the level, and add the items.

A table can look like this:

Hero:
H001 - Paladin
H002 - Mountain King
H003 - Archmage
H004 - Blood Mage

Level:
L001 - 1
L002 - 2
L003 - 3

Item:
I01 - Potion of healing
I02 - Potion of mana
I03 - Claws of attack

So if our code is H003-L002-I01I01I02I02I03I03, the system will create a Blood Mage, set his level to two, and add two potion of healing, two potion of mana and two claws of attack.

The more information you want to store, the longer will the code be. Some system also save some letter from your user name into the code. So if your trying to load your hero with a different user name, it can fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.