• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Problem with the light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Guys i need some help, my map got error when an unit cast a aoe target spell, the light of the map suddenly go brighter. It also happened when i use iseedeadpeople.
I don't know how to fix it, maybe because i use to much lightning doodads in my map?
here are example:
Still normal...:
attachment.php

The light goes bright...:
attachment.php

attachment.php

please help me, thank you so much

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 205

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Would it be possible to post the map? This could rule out if the cause is hardware/driver related.

Check it is not being cause by an imported model. Remove all imports and see if the problem persists. Use a backup in case this does nothing.

How many light sources do you use? WC3 has a lot of problem with too many light sources at any given time.

To me it looks like the environment lighting model is being altered. Check that triggers are not doing this unintentionally by mistake.

Level 3
Would it be possible to post the map? This could rule out if the cause is hardware/driver related.

Check it is not being cause by an imported model. Remove all imports and see if the problem persists. Use a backup in case this does nothing.

How many light sources do you use? WC3 has a lot of problem with too many light sources at any given time.

To me it looks like the environment lighting model is being altered. Check that triggers are not doing this unintentionally by mistake.
Bump
sorry i have been busy for my final semester test, i don't have any time until now
Well i've check triggers and find none problem. What do you mean at the "How many light sources"? (sorry i'm just a newbie heheh)
Does the weather effect affect the problem? because i create a lot of weather effect in each regions.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What do you mean at the "How many light sources"? (sorry i'm just a newbie heheh)
All light in a 3D world has to come from a light source. These can be considered invisible light globes which illuminate the virtual world. Without them the entire world would appear as darkest black (with a few exceptions).

In WC3 they are represented as special model chunks. They are used to literally simulate the sun in the case of environment models. Other uses include flashes such as for the Marine gun flash or to add realism to "light producing" objects (fire/lamp makes stuff brighter nearby).

The way WC3 implements lighting appears to have considerable limits. Specifically only a limited number of light sources are permitted per area. I believe the area is defined as 4*4 tiles or something. If more light sources cover this area than permitted then strange artefacts will occur as the more distant sources will fail to cover the area so produce a discontinuity between areas.

Of course current generation illumination technology is very much different. Games like SC2 define "emissive" surfaces which appear to emit light (glow) even with no other light sources. Light sources are used in the computation of real time shadows. The entire way lighting is computed has changed to support HDR and as many light sources are desired. However WC3 was made before all this so you have to put up with its rather dated lighting system.

Level 3
After checking i've delete a lot of light source doodads and it's work! problem solved, thank you, you're super good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.