• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Passive ability with a cooldown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Heyy, I've wondered for quite some time how people go about making passive abilities that have cooldowns (that display) similar to the way reincarnation is. Can anyone help me out here?

like for example: The next time XYZ is attacked he/she will release a thunderclap, damaging and slowing nearby enemies. 15 seconds cooldown.

Something like this.. I mean that would be easy to make, but I don't understand how to show the cooldown on a passive ability.

Its super possible
just put a ability thats a dummy (doesnt do anything, like brilliance aura that affects nobody), and then when the ability fires, add another duplicate of that ability, exept that that one requires an ungettable tech-tree item "cooldown" and remove the first. When the cooldown expires, add the first ability and remove the second. It would all have to be triggered though.

Level 7
well, I hate to use dota as an example here.. but what about geminate(geminite?) attack? on nerubian weaver.. it is passive, and displays a cooldown whenever it is fired..

if this isn't doable it won't be a big deal, i could just use a localized special effect for the owner of the unit to show that the ability is ready.. but a cooldown display would be convenient.

use beserk for dummy then
and just remove the buff right after it's fired
Edit: Trying to explain myself better
Use the brilliance aura dummy that does nothing at first, then when the passive fires, go swap that ability with beserk and then fire beserk. Once the cooldown for that is over (or right before to be safe) swap it back for the brilliance dummy.

Level 7
Ehh, that would be pretty artificial. Another passive with a displayed cooldown is Spellshield, but once again this is pretty much impossible to manipulate, just like reincarnation :/ ..I suppose i'll stick with a localized special effect, which would allow the units owner to see that the ability is ready, without it being given away to enemies.

Level 10
see this spell, it's a passive ability with cool down.
Basically, it use Orb of Lightning (New) ability, it is passive and can have cool down. That ability is orb effect and will use barrage ability when chance is correct.

Maybe you can use that methods to create passive ability that activated when attacking.
I don't know for passive that activated when attacked.

Level 7
Yeah, i've wondered about the orb of slow/orb of lightning ability for a while.. i haven't tested it out but i've wondered if you can detect the ability it procs with triggers?

Say you have an orb of slow.. can you detect the casting of slow?

Level 11
How about you set the chance to cast with triggers, and when it casts just replace the passive ability with an active ability (based off of thunderclap) then order the unit to cast thunderclap and the cooldown will show. Obviously use the same icon so it looks the same. Just wait 15 seconds (or whatever the cooldown is) and then replace the abilities again so he now has the passive ability. I dont know if it will work but it might.

Level 7
Ah, I know about orb of slow's capabilities, I was just curious whether you could display a cooldown on a passive ability through any means.. guess not :p

I guess my second question would be: can you detect the casting of a spell through orb of slow? as in, if my orb has a 15% chance to cast slow on the target, can i detect that slow, to further customize the spell? I'll test this later if nobody knows.

Level 9
you could do the dummy idea, but when it fires it replaces the ability with an ability based off thunder clap with no animation or damage. And when the ability is fired and the ability is replaced, you order the unit to use the ability showing the cool down. and have it wait X seconds (Ability cool down) then replaced it with the actual ability.

Level 7
Well honestly, I had no intention of making that thunderclap spell, it was just an example to show what i meant when i say passive abilities with cooldowns.

Level 9
This is pretty pale and lacks any attention to details, but you get the idea. The cons are that the unit casts an ability with 0 mana cost => casting animation appears and the unit can try to cast it again, getting a message it's still in cooldown.

Attachments

• pascool.w3x
    17.1 KB · Views: 131
Level 7
oof, guys, I did NOT have any intention of making that spell, really i was just curious about whether or not it was possible to show a cooldown (without switching the ability for a dummy ability) and that idea for a spell was just an example... Thanks a lot buut this thread's pretty much solved. sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.