• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Project Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello there guys!
I have a campaign project in my head, but I'm a complete noob as far as map creation goes (although I managed to create a few simple maps and, in time, they'll get better and more complex).

Basically the idea is to tell the story of a random person/elf/orc on his journey as the Sourge starts to wipe the living world.

I'd like to make it a campaign and a hero to be customized by the player.
:vw_death:

For starters I would need the following (i'll put on the human point of view to make it easier on everyone):

1. a 'peasant' unit that is slightly stronger than a normal peasant in combat.
First mission would start with the hero's family eating the grain and dying. He then fights 3 zombies (wife and kids). He needs to be able to defeat them! lol (also, i managed to make a trigger for each unit dying but can I make a trigger for all 3 of them?):vw_wtf:

2. as he progresses, the town is being overrun by undead zombies and a footman sees him fighting and talks to him (how do I make the scripts for the footman to talk to the hero? How can I add the 'cinematic' aspect to the chat?):vw_wtf:

3. the hero becomes a 'militia' and after protecting the city from the undead invasion, he enrolls on the military, being given the choice of a melee combatant or a ranged fighter. This would start defining our hero, setting paths he would be able to follow.
3.1 If he goes melee combat he would become a footman, in time, 'evolve' into a Paladin or a Dwarf-like hero, having access to those skills for customization.
3.2 Choosing to be a ranged fighter, he would become a Spearman (bandit unit), Rifleman and, in time, evolve into an Archmage or a Caster being able to choose abilities from either in order to customize.

As an example, our hero could have like:
Holy Light (P), Divine Shield (P), Bash (D) and Avatar (D) (Would have to be a strength hero)
or
Flame Strike (BE), Water Elemental (A), Brilliance Aura(A) and Phoenix (BE) (Intelligence Hero)
:vw_wtf::vw_wtf:

I'm not asking anyone to make it for me or asking for a personal coach, I wouldn't dare enslave someone with such project lol.
Are there any guides that could help me out with this project?
Where can I find intel on how to create the necessary units and triggers for such campaign?

Thanks in advance,
Rick.

Level 24
I know a great website that can give you the asnwers.

For real. Go to google and type something like "warcraft 3 cinematics tutorial"
You can find a good tutorial about how to make cinematics etc.

You just cut your project in pieces (Cinematics, Units, Abilities, evolving(classes), quests, etc.) and search for every piece how you should deal with it.

As you said, you don't want to force anyone to do it but you are neither giving any specific problem.
I suggest you to just make a map and start with terrain for the first part. Make the city, the house, anything between that and leave the other part of the map empty (I don't know how much of the map this would take but first start with some sketches of how large everything should be.

After that, just start with some basic cinematics, units and quests.
Once you know a bit of how you should do it, come back to this forum and give specific information of a problem that you faced.
"First mission would start with the hero's family eating the grain and dying. He then fights 3 zombies (wife and kids). He needs to be able to defeat them! lol (also, i managed to make a trigger for each unit dying but can I make a trigger for all 3 of them?)"
That is a good example for a specific problem.
In this case you just make a unit group and once the wife and children become a zombie, add them to the group and when one of them dies, remove them from the group.
When one of them dies, also check (after removing) if the group is empty, that is the moment when you killed the last one.
Make sure that you clear the group and you can use it again for another quest. (as long as these cannot be active at the same time)

Level 3
Thanks!

Cutting it off in pieces was, indeed, a great approach.
I confess I was trying to embrace the whole thing at once, making a bit of terrain and immediately adding units and trying to scrpit it all and what not.

Feels like I'm making a lot of progress even tho I'm still terraining everything.

=]

Rick.

Level 24
My first project was an altered melee map.
I wanted to make 8 races, a lot of custom spells, 2X normal (JNGP) maximum sized map, Custom resource systems, etc, etc, etc.
The problem was that I never opened the trigger editor :)
You can tell that that project shut down very fast.

If I would start it again it could be a very nice map though... Would take a lot of time but a very nice map.

(how do I make the scripts for the footman to talk to the hero? How can I add the 'cinematic' aspect to the chat?)
Action: Game - Display Message

(also, i managed to make a trigger for each unit dying but can I make a trigger for all 3 of them?)
What do you mean?
Flame Strike (BE), Water Elemental (A), Brilliance Aura(A) and Phoenix (BE) (Intelligence Hero)
Abilities have to be synergistic and thematic. A flame user (Flamestrike/Phoenix) wouldn't really summon a Water Elemental unless he has control over all elements.

Level 3
I can help you with cinematics

I'd apreciate it, a LOT, but I think I'm still a very long way from actually getting there. In my head i set it to:
- map > units (characters, names) > triggers > cinematics. I'm like, a month away from even beggining to mess with it.
Also, if your offer was to MAKE the cinematics FOR me, no thanks, I can't enslave someone like that, but do apreciate any help/doubts you could help with. =]

Abilities have to be synergistic and thematic. A flame user (Flamestrike/Phoenix) wouldn't really summon a Water Elemental unless he has control over all elements.

For the Game - Display Message, I'll try it sometime soon but like said above I feel like making progress taking it step by step. Cinematics will be the last, I believe. But thanks a LOT anyway.

As for the synergy, it was merely an example but I get your point and you're absolutely correct. It wouldn't make sense at ALL unless I gave him something like Chain Lightning too to round it up as a shaman.
I'll take your input and brainstorm a couple combinations of spells that would be mutually exclusive. Divine Shield + Avatar + Evade + Vampiric Aura would be kinda ridiculous in a dungeon mission, for example.

Thanks guys!
Rick.

Level 3
I'm having a bit of trouble on the Unit Group thing.

I managed to set a group standing in a random area. There are 3 NPCs in this area. I triggered like:

When player moves into region, cinematic happens (this part is ok) and all units in region2 (another region, doesn't overlap with the 1st) change unit to Zombie and ownership is transferred to player 11 (enemy).

Problems are: the Unit - Replace line obligates me to choose ONE unit to replace. It generates 3 zombies (1 being passive... o_O). The other 2 units are not being replaced at all, tho. And even if I remove them (via triggers), then it generates less zombies.

All I want are 3 aggressive zombies where 3 neutral NPCs stood.

Help?
Rick.

Level 3
I am creating a single map and taking it slow. =]
I want to learn and practice the basic aspects available for the map.

I terrained it, created custom units, created quests, pop-ups, regions, triggers for them, cinematics with custom cameras...
This particular script about the little zombies is beign a b*tch tho :(

Rick.

Level 3
replace_unit_zpseee0a029.jpg

1. Regions "Atreyu home" and "Family" do NOT overlap.
2. Unit - Replace command FORCES you to select a unit as target, hence why I chose the female villager. That's where the problem is, I assume.
3. I probably could individually change the woman and the two kids in the region, however i want to learn how to create a group and set actions for them since I assume it can be useful in the future.

Thanks,
Rick.

Level 3
LOL!
Now I'm trying to figure out if I'm blind or just dumb. Thanks a lot man!

In time: I made this group by selecting "units in a region". Now the next step, would be to create a wider group with random units.
A quest "kill every skeleton in the village", but they're all scattered. How can I add them individually to a group?
Creating a Variable (integer) for them and every time one of them dies, variable -1 until it reaches 0? Is this the fastest/best way (leak-wise)?

Thanks a lot,
Rick.

Level 3
Functions -> Picked Unit

I (obviously) managed to change all 3 units to zombies after your help, and made a quest in which you have to kill all 3.

I triggered this quest as "Conditions - Last replaced unit is dead = true", however the quest is activating when ANY of the 3 dies.

I can't make an integer like the skeletons (managed to easily do it for them), since the zombies aren't initially on the map, so i'm having quite a bit of trouble.

How can I make it so that the trigger fires only when ALL 3 zombies are dead?

I tried both options below but had no success (obviously)

trigger_zpsf5d4970b.jpg

Also, I've seen some people posting scripts on their messages, rather than images: how can I do that too?

Thanks in advance and merry christmas,
Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.