• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Needing help/advice on effective map making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello fellow Hivers. So, I have all sorts of ideas for maps and campaigns I want to create but not enough experience or know how to put my ideas to use. I am attempting to work on an RPG style campaign. A single player WoW or Guild wars 2 type of game for Warcraft 3. I have many features in mind for it as well. The Following is some things i could use help or advice on. Feel free to suggest anything that might be helpful. Like Tutorials on Hive, Trigger ideas for RPG style gameplay, etc...

What I am looking for:

1. Effective terraining help
2. World editor tools that might be useful
3. Advice on how to implement Triggers and scripts or build my own to suit my needs
4. How to add/create custom spells

That is all i can think of for now. Anything anyone might want to add is greatly appreciated as well..

Take care and happy map making.

Level 37

The only real way to get better is to constantly keep working on it. However, looking at how the more experienced users make their terrain and using reference images can help as well. You can also check out the General Mapping subforum in the tutorials section.

I recommend checking out any of these tools:

They are pretty simple to use, but extremely powerful tools. Get yourself familiar with them so you constantly don't have to keep stalking the Requests forum.

3. Advice on how to implement Triggers and scripts or build my own to suit my needs

If you need help getting STARTED with a trigger, then make a thread in the World Editor Help Zone. If you need help FIXING a trigger, start a thread in Triggers & Scripts. Please keep in mind that none of these forums are for asking people to do things for you, these are forums to ask for help. If something is too complicated for you to do yourself, I suggest you make a thread in the Requests forum.

Importing spells into your map should be a cake walk considering the rule for all submitted spells must include a "How to Install" section xD

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Hello fellow Hivers. So, I have all sorts of ideas for maps and campaigns I want to create but not enough experience or know how to put my ideas to use. I am attempting to work on an RPG style campaign. A single player WoW or Guild wars 2 type of game for Warcraft 3. I have many features in mind for it as well. The Following is some things i could use help or advice on. Feel free to suggest anything that might be helpful. Like Tutorials on Hive, Trigger ideas for RPG style gameplay, etc...

What I am looking for:

That is all i can think of for now. Anything anyone might want to add is greatly appreciated as well..

Take care and happy map making.

I have a rather simple advice: make the map first so its at least playable and leak / bug free. Then you can improve it via many means possible.

Its okay to aim high, but don't aim way above the sky. Its way more fun and easy to upgrade / patch / improve an existing map than is to create EVERYTHING from the get go.

Tutorial vise, you can check some of my discussion tutorials. They could assist you figuring out what you want your map to be or bring a new angle on things:

Simplicity vs Complexity

Originality vs Creativity

Easy vs Hard Games

Also my tutorial on using the button manager tool, very useful for icons in warcraft 3:

Button Manager Tutorial

I agree with what sentrywiz said. Keep it simple at first. Don't even attempt triggers on your first map unless they are very, very basic. Stick with OE spells for the most part.

Here are some tutorials that I would recommend:

Various Terraining Tips!

Basic GUI enhanced custom spells

Also, it is important to know how to find answers when questions come up. You really shouldn't be asking for help with every question. First off, it is annoying when the same question comes up constantly, and second, it is a slow way for you to get answers. Try google. I like to search "world editor" "________?" and then my question. Also know the tutorials forum well. There is a ton of great stuff there.

Finally, I would add to sentrywiz's statements that smooth play is better than impressive action. It is far better to have a map that has obvious goals and gameplay over one that is complex and confusing, even if it is full of amazing graphics or battles. Less is more! Be most concerned with the player and how he/she will experience the game for the first time. Remember many people will only ever play your map once. How can you get them to come back for more? This is the eternal question.

The only tool you need to start (that is until you know you need something else) is JNPG 2.

Level 5
Alright well thank you for the advice. My biggest problem is that I have all these Ideas for Bigger projects than I can handle and not enough experience to put them to use...

Alright well thank you for the advice. My biggest problem is that I have all these Ideas for Bigger projects than I can handle and not enough experience to put them to use...

You will get the hang of it. Read the tutorials posted above and get JNGP. That will take a few days. The open a map and select your 16 tiles. Then start building and remember to have fun! Good luck!

Oh ya, and give rep for good advice!

Level 12
I recommend thinking of a smaller project first, like a practice map that you still have some passion in. Once you start working on it you will learn more and more and make it better and better.

Well that's what happened to me at least. I learned so much and continue learning. Just now I downloaded MLDvis and tried UV mapping but nothing worked but I still learned something.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I totally understand you as I often battle with myself not knowing which idea of mine should I make. Choices can be really hard when everything looks great. So I will try to simplify my best advices in a list for you to follow or think about:

1. Don't be discouraged by your current lack of knowledge. Start small and everyday aim a little higher than the day before.

2. Don't try to make it all right now. Just like you can't build a house in one day (unless its made out of cardboard) just like that, you can't make a great map right away. Sometimes you have one of those brilliant ideas and happen to make a great map very fast, but don't expect yourself to have to have brilliant ideas everytime. You will just stifle yourself

3. Enjoy the process. One step or two steps or three steps at a time, depending on your daily focus, motivation and perseverance.

4. Playtest your map with each change and see how you / people like the change

5. Your map will NEVER be complete or perfect. You can always add, remove or change something in it. Learn to be okay with that because nothing is ever complete or perfect. Everything is impermanent except change, which is the only constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.