• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Multiple Minimap Icon System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
We have SetAltMinimapIcon to set one alternative icon at a time and UnitSetUsesAltIcon to make units use the alternative icon or not.

Then we have about 5 more rarely used minimap icons you can use for you own purposes if you want, e.g. the goldmine ones, and that's it.

To my knowledge nobody has made a system out of it and I don't see the point making one.
But you might want to clarify your question as I do not understand what you mean by "make a system that loops through tons of icons".

Level 12
it's a single pointer to the path, which is applied to every AltIcon'ed unit. you can't create different icons for different units

You could very easily make a loop that checks for units and sets the path to several different icons for each different unit. It wouldn't be that hard to set up.

We have SetAltMinimapIcon to set one alternative icon at a time and UnitSetUsesAltIcon to make units use the alternative icon or not.

Then we have about 5 more rarely used minimap icons you can use for you own purposes if you want, e.g. the goldmine ones, and that's it.

To my knowledge nobody has made a system out of it and I don't see the point making one.
But you might want to clarify your question as I do not understand what you mean by "make a system that loops through tons of icons".

You can have custom imported icons be used for these functions. It wouldn't be the most useful thing in the word, but it would be useful for multiple different boss icons, or point-of-interest icons, like making new shops that have their own unique icons, as well as having all of these different icons on the minimap at one time.

I have a map right now I am working on where I use at least 5 different minimap icons. The way I do it is to replace the standard ones with my custom ones. For example, entangled goldmine has now become a cave entrance. I also use the chest icon for the chests. These can be moved around if you want too. The neutral building trigger is useless.

Level 12
answer is "nohow"

There might be, I'll be looking into this.

I have a map right now I am working on where I use at least 5 different minimap icons. The way I do it is to replace the standard ones with my custom ones. For example, entangled goldmine has now become a cave entrance. I also use the chest icon for the chests. These can be moved around if you want too. The neutral building trigger is useless.

It's not totally useless, it lets you have one more minimap icon. Also this won't work if you want to keep all the original icons as well. I don't want to replace anything, I want to expand.

Also this won't work if you want to keep all the original icons as well. I don't want to replace anything, I want to expand.

Ah, I see. I don't say this much but I think it is impossible. You can have 1 as you noted but that's all.

You might try checking on the campaigns and see how they use the cave entrance icon. It might be the same way, but I know there are several "extra" minimap icons. Maybe there is some way to access them.

Level 19
Ah, I see. I don't say this much but I think it is impossible. You can have 1 as you noted but that's all.

You might try checking on the campaigns and see how they use the cave entrance icon. It might be the same way, but I know there are several "extra" minimap icons. Maybe there is some way to access them.

there's a flag field inside unit's structure which stands for the icon it uses. wc3 allows only to use pre-made icons - tavern, gold mine, etc. you can't really access them anyway, and even if - there's only few flags

Status
Not open for further replies.