• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map will not open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I was playing around with some custom script in my map. I appear to have typed something in wrong, and when I saved the map I began to get script error messages. During this process, my computer froze and WC3 shut down. Now the map will not open and gives this error message:

"Unable to load file...

- Level Info data missing or invalid."

Is there any way to get this map to open up again? I have a backup from a week ago...but I did a hell of a lot of work on it since then!

UPDATE: I managed to find another post about a guy with a Map crash. I have now found an older version of the map that was saved by WC3 during a play test. It would still be nice to get the last few hours back, but I'm much better than I was before.

Darwin

Last edited:
Level 26
Your map file is corrupt. Essential data is missing. If it was only the w3i (general info file), it would not be much of a problem but that's only like the first thing it looks for when opening the map in editor. Probably your archive is almost empty. You can upload it, so we may inspect it with a MPQViewer and maybe find something to salvage.

I do not know how the users of this forum always manage to corrupt their maps. For me, this only happened in the past when the save process was interrupted. In any way you should always have backups, JNGP rescues the last ~26 saves for you in its \backup folder.

Level 14
Your map file is corrupt. Essential data is missing. If it was only the w3i (general info file), it would not be much of a problem but that's only like the first thing it looks for when opening the map in editor. Probably your archive is almost empty. You can upload it, so we may inspect it with a MPQViewer and maybe find something to salvage.

I do not know how the users of this forum always manage to corrupt their maps. For me, this only happened in the past when the save process was interrupted. In any way you should always have backups, JNGP rescues the last ~26 saves for you in its \backup folder.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think you're right; I should just use the archive. My changes were scattered across a dozen triggers and I'm not even sure where to look. I think I misspelled a variable name in a custom script... one of those "removeLocation" things to remove leaks or something. Anyway, I think I can recover the work nicely.

Thanks though.

Level 26
Vanilla as in the standard editor, regardless of RoC or TFT. Not that I have used WEU in the past, but pretty much anything besides JNGP and the newer versions of it/Wurst flavor has been deprecated/is old. On the other hand, the standard editor is unstable for jass related stuff and weak, which is why JNGP has long been the new standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.